Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1353464 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #780 on: December 29, 2013, 12:43:19 AM »
Has SY, having spent millions, conducted a proper police interview with the most important witness of all?
A witness who has never given her account of the last check in a proper police interview.
The interview on 4th May was conducted in clear violation of proper procedure.
And in the interview on 7th Sept the witness correctly exercised right of silence as advised by lawyer.
Let me stress I think that was correct in the circumstances and I believe the witness is completely innocent.
Has SY spent millions without even taking the obvious first step of doing this one properly conducted interview for the very first time?
Maybe they have and we would not know?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:48:12 AM by pegasus »

Lyall

« Reply #781 on: December 29, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »
Why are the lawyers so important? Carter- Ruck instill fear and trembling in Downing Street and Scotland Yard?

And Kingsley Napley (McBride and Caplan). I do think people are wary of them, yes.

Offline sadie

« Reply #782 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
I'm using the word cover up to take the thing to its logical extremity.

The PM may have made his loyalties clear, yes, and SY may be emphasising that the McCanns are not part of their investigation.

But that does not mean that either the government or SY have been pressurised or intimidated into those positions because of anything to do with the McCanns. Or any one else.

Though perhaps for another, altogether more powerful person or organisation, Cameron and SY would tow a line. Perhaps.

But to suggest that a couple from Rothley have the government and  SY eating off their plate - far too far fetched.   
Exactly.  Perhaps another, altogether more powerful person or organisation is affecting the investigation.  Perhaps something globally important has to be hidden/ protected.   

Maybe SY have to produce "belt and braces" proofs in order to stand a chance against such people? ... in addition to some clever diplomatic work?

Offline sadie

« Reply #783 on: December 29, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »
And Kingsley Napley (McBride and Caplan). I do think people are wary of them, yes.
We ordinary people are, Yes

But not mega global organisations.  Some Organisations have their own high flying team of Lawyers.  Some are even adept at changing the scene and "facts" by manipulations that we could never dream of.  They would not be in fear of the likes of Carter Ruck.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #784 on: December 29, 2013, 12:58:02 AM »

The interview on 4th May was conducted in clear violation of proper procedure.

Why ? Because the McCanns obtained a favour that not many polices on the planet would have granted ?

Lyall

« Reply #785 on: December 29, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »
I see your point, Lyall. Pressure is a big factor here. But the way I see it is that that pressure, and the spotlight SY and Cameron are under, actually make it less likely that they would take a risk in investigating the matter according to agendas, rather than according to investigative principles.

The consequences of adjusting their investigations and policies to fit the McCanns (or whomever they are trying to please) could backfire horribly against them. Worth the risk?

And if the investigation would be sacrificed to these agendas, whatever they were, then by definition it would not be being conducted properly - and there would be less chance of getting to the bottom of things. Another thing that does not make sense, taking into account the pressure here for the case to be solved.

I think they can be confident, SH, that few if any will ever ask them to explain what they have done and why, and we have no freedom of information laws to assist members of the public or press to find out. That just doesn't happen in this country does it.

They have apparently used the same system they used in the Dando investigation more or less and they never explained why and where that investigation went wrong (campaigners for Barry George were convinced many suspects were never investigated at all). They had a review of that investigation and never explained what that showed either. They just don't have to in England do they.

There's no transparency at all unless Parliament requests it, and they rarely do.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #786 on: December 29, 2013, 12:59:20 AM »

But what's the long term gain? SY and Cameron are pressurised into taking a particular course of action.

Then something in the investigation changes / is discovered, and the whole thing backfires. It is discovered that the government and SY have been acting improperly.

All for the sake of pacifying some canny lawyers?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #787 on: December 29, 2013, 01:04:39 AM »
I think they can be confident, SH, that few if any will ever ask them to explain what they have done and why, and we have no freedom of information laws to assist members of the public or press to find out. That just doesn't happen in this country does it.

They have apparently used the same system they used in the Dando investigation more or less and they never explained why and where that investigation went wrong (campaigners for Barry George were convinced many suspects were never investigated at all). They had a review of that investigation and never explained what that showed either. They just don't have to in England do they.

There's no transparency at all unless Parliament requests it, and they rarely do.
But there's a new phenomenon that they'll have to take into account : Internet forums and social networks.
See at the bottom how Nietzsche previewed it.

Lyall

« Reply #788 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
But what's the long term gain? SY and Cameron are pressurised into taking a particular course of action.

Then something in the investigation changes / is discovered, and the whole thing backfires. It is discovered that the government and SY have been acting improperly.

All for the sake of pacifying some canny lawyers?

Ah I never said anyone was acting improperly. They're just acting cautiously as far as I can see, and not very urgently (it was 30 months before they said the 9.15 sighting was no longer being considered vital. 30 months?)

We'll see what transpires, SH, but Crimewatch I think confirmed our cynicism.

Lyall

« Reply #789 on: December 29, 2013, 01:11:43 AM »
But there's a new phenomenon that they'll have to take into account : Internet forums and social networks.
See at the bottom how Nietzsche previewed it.

>@@(*&) I can't see Nietzsche being a fan of the internet, Anne.

This forum maybe, but facebook? 8)--))

AnneGuedes

Lyall

« Reply #791 on: December 29, 2013, 01:18:56 AM »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #792 on: December 29, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
not very urgently (it was 30 months before they said the 9.15 sighting was no longer being considered vital. 30 months?)
They foresee that time heavily builds indifference.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #793 on: December 29, 2013, 01:27:38 AM »

I am sure this could be right, Lyall. I am still young (-ish) and innocent (according to certain definitions) and find it hard to believe that the government and SY are going to dance to other people's tunes. Ultimately we don't know what is going on behind closed doors and should remember the fact.

SY fell short with the Dando case, certainly, though the Madeleine case is much, much bigger. It has been vastly more expensive and still has no discernible end in sight. A different era, somewhat, than the Dando  - time flies - with more public awareness and involvement, and a greater demand from the public for accountability perhaps?

You mention confidence, but how confident can any organisation be, in today's world, that what they would rather keep hidden will never be revealed?

A much too risky strategy that would only be embarked upon for reasons of far greater proportions than protecting the interests of one couple.

If this investigation, or the Madeleine case as a whole, involves individuals or matters of state - which it may do - of profound consequence;  if it is a powder keg under which a Profumo-like element rests, one could see the need for government fear and trembling, and for damage -limitation at all costs.

But to dance to the McCanns' tune for no real reason at all?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:30:12 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #794 on: December 29, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »
Thus Tweeted Zarathustra @)(++(*

It's no joke!