Author Topic: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.  (Read 26598 times)

Offline Angelo222

Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:08:57 PM »
A simple question for you Carana.   Do you think Nicola Sturgeon has any mandate in Scotland with only 1.6 million voted out of a total electorate of 4 million?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:02:21 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

Re: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:16:10 PM »
A simple question for you Carana.   Do you think Nicola Sturgeon has any mandate in Scotland with only 1.6 million voted out of a total electorate of 4 million?

I think she has a right to defend the interests of the people she represents.

I'm not in favour of any community (in a large sense) clamouring for independence unless all the implications are clear. That said, I can understand why Scotland isn't happy.

On a larger scale, that goes for the UK as a whole as well, IMO, as it's a smaller fish in a far bigger pond than some think it is. IMO:

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:18:22 PM »
A nation is defined as a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

There is a clear division in Scotland between the Highlands and the Lowlands in all those areas except the fact that they all live in a partivular country. Therefore I think Scotland is a country, but not a nation.  .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:53:38 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »
All the battles fought and the people who've died either trying to maintain their independence or trying to unify.

All a bit sad, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:56:30 PM by John »

Offline Erngath

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
A nation is defined as a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

There is a clear division in Scotland between the Highlands and the Lowlands in all those areas except the fact that they all live in a partivular country. Therefore I think Scotland is a country, but not a nation.  .

(&^&

" You cannot be serious"

Is there any nation which you do believe to be a real nation and not just a country?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
All the battles fought and the people who've died either trying to maintain their independence or trying to unify.

All a bit sad, IMO.

True.
Many lives lost in the American War of Independence and other struggles for independence.
However I don't believe blood will be spilled in the attempt to gain independence for Scotland.

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »

True.
Many lives lost in the American War of Independence and other struggles for independence.
However I don't believe blood will be spilled in the attempt to gain independence for Scotland.

I don't think so, either. No idea what may erupt in Ireland. :(

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:47:55 PM »

True.

You'll probably find that more Scots live and work outside of Scotland these days as Scotland cannot provide the opportunities for young people they can find south of the border.  And with an ageing population that is why they are desperate to import immigrants.  They are importing trouble however, a ticking time bomb.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:52:14 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »

(&^&

" You cannot be serious"

Is there any nation which you do believe to be a real nation and not just a country?

The Irish, apart from the settlers in Northern Ireland. The Kurds are a nation who have no country.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »
“A nation is defined as a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory”

So none of the EU countries are nations apart from the Republic of Ireland?   Well if that’s the case why the teror of a United States of Europe?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 08:06:48 AM »
The Irish, apart from the settlers in Northern Ireland. The Kurds are a nation who have no country.

Two questions.
Why are the Irish a nation?
Why are the Scots not a nation?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »

Two questions.
Why are the Irish a nation?
Why are the Scots not a nation?

The Irish have a shared ethnicity, culture and language. The Scottish Highlanders are ethnicly closer to the Irish than to the Scottish Lowlanders who are more like the English; a mixture of Germanic peoples. It was the Highlanders who wore kilts, played the bagpipes and spoke gaelic.The Lowlanders only began to embrace those things in Victorian times.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
You'll probably find that more Scots live and work outside of Scotland these days as Scotland cannot provide the opportunities for young people they can find south of the border.  And with an ageing population that is why they are desperate to import immigrants.  They are importing trouble however, a ticking time bomb.

You are absolutely 100% correct on this score.

Ergarth said"It may not be in my lifetime but I believe my grandchildren will live in an independent Scotland."

And what kind of independance would this be then? seperated from England and Wales but ruled by the EU- which will include Turkey at some point.

I think many people forget the men and women in the UK,  as in the United Kingdom, fought two world wars many millions were slaughtered by EU countries, but we just can't live with the fact that at one time the English has skirmishes with Scotland centuries ago... wow makeas you think really!

We could ask the kiddies who feel really upset- given therapy for years because of this dilemma they face- poor wee mites- which oppressive 'enemy' they want to play with... ^*&&

Scotland did not vote to stay or leave the EU - they did vote for staying in the UK and the  UK Population, who voted, wanted  Brexit stands legally!

Let us not forget Irish voters stood up to the EU twice but they were over ruled ...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
The Irish have a shared ethnicity, culture and language. The Scottish Highlanders are ethnicly closer to the Irish than to the Scottish Lowlanders who are more like the English; a mixture of Germanic peoples. It was the Highlanders who wore kilts, played the bagpipes and spoke gaelic.The Ldowlanders only began to embrace those things in Victorian times.

Is this your opinion formed from your time living in Scotland?
Do you believe that to be Scottish one has to play the bagpipes, wear a kilt and speak the Gaelic?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:03:33 PM by Erngath »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »

You are absolutely 100% correct on this score.

Ergarth said"It may not be in my lifetime but I believe my grandchildren will live in an independent Scotland."

And what kind of independance would this be then? seperated from England and Wales but ruled by the EU- which will include Turkey at some point.

I think many people forget the men and women in the UK,  as in the United Kingdom, fought two world wars many millions were slaughtered by EU countries, but we just can't live with the fact that at one time the English has skirmishes with Scotland centuries ago... wow makeas you think really!

We could ask the kiddies who feel really upset- given therapy for years because of this dilemma they face- poor wee mites- which oppressive 'enemy' they want to play with... ^*&&

Scotland did not vote to stay or leave the EU - they did vote for staying in the UK and the  UK Population, who voted, wanted  Brexit stands legally!

Let us not forget Irish voters stood up to the EU twice but they were over ruled ...

You need to brush up on your history re the English skirmishes with Scotland.  There never was a Glorious Union.