Author Topic: Discussion of points raised in Danny Collins' book Vanished ...  (Read 43712 times)

Offline Robittybob1

I had trouble reading this book to begin with because of the excessive factual errors but later when I read that Summers and Swan had read Danny's book I forced myself to read it.  Has anyone else read it and what comments can you make about it?

There are about 20 places where I question points he raises, these are over about the 15 odd places where he has a different idea of the basic facts of the case.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:06:28 PM by John »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Eleanor

Re: Discussion of points raised in Danny Collins' book Vanished ...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »

Please could we have some Cites as I am at a loss to understand what you are talking of.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
Please could we have some Cites as I am at a loss to understand what you are talking of.

I've not read this book although I understand it may be kinder than most in the genre.

I too would welcome sight of the contentious points raised.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »
I had trouble reading this book to begin with because of the excessive factual errors but later when I read that Summers and Swan had read Danny's book I forced myself to read it.  Has anyone else read it ad what comments can you make?

There are about 20 places where I question points he raises, these are over about the 15 odd places where he has a different idea of the basic facts of the case.
I purchased this on Kindle for £3.79.

As an information source, I would say this is £3.79 too much, though I have to say as an entertainment source £3.79 is not bad for a couple of hours of diversion.
What's up, old man?

Offline barrier

This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
I purchased this on Kindle for £3.79.

As an information source, I would say this is £3.79 too much, though I have to say as an entertainment source £3.79 is not bad for a couple of hours of diversion.
Same here when I first started reading it I nearly threw it in the fire. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
I don't really want to retype the book but I have raised a few on FB.

Chapter 1 " First Report" page 3: Danny Collins discusses the likelihood of the front door being used as an exit, he doesn't discount it but then always favours the back door for no particular reason. Quote: "Thus back to a front door exit .... but the method of entry was still in doubt." That is typical of the difficult to understand dialogue in the book, who was exiting the front door? Who was entering the apartment? Madeleine was inside so she only had to go out so there was no need to consider how she got in.

Also:  On the same page he says "the metal shutters .... of 5A were impossible to lever up wards more than 1 or 2 centimetres" Now that could upset my theory for how do the burglars open the window if they can't lift the shutters? But it has been demonstrated by Heriberto Janosch that the shutters can be lifted manually. https://youtu.be/fzpniKAWvUI  so I think Danny is wrong.
Moderation

Offline barrier

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
That seems to be his second book on the subject.  "Madeleine McCann - Ten years on"

Does it stray far from his first one.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline barrier

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
I don't really want to retype the book but I have raised a few on FB.

Chapter 1 " First Report" page 3: Danny Collins discusses the likelihood of the front door being used as an exit, he doesn't discount it but then always favours the back door for no particular reason. Quote: "Thus back to a front door exit .... but the method of entry was still in doubt." That is typical of the difficult to understand dialogue in the book, who was exiting the front door? Who was entering the apartment? Madeleine was inside so she only had to go out so there was no need to consider how she got in.

Also:  On the same page he says "the metal shutters .... of 5A were impossible to lever up wards more than 1 or 2 centimetres" Now that could upset my theory for how do the burglars open the window if they can't lift the shutters? But it has been demonstrated by Heriberto Janosch that the shutters can be lifted manually. https://youtu.be/fzpniKAWvUI  so I think Danny is wrong.

I notice you say that the shutters can be lifted,are those the actual shutters of 5a? There is a video of Peter Mac I believe showing the actual shutters of 5a.

https://youtu.be/IeuMzyaCnnY

Offline barrier

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
That seems to be his second book on the subject.  "Madeleine McCann - Ten years on"

Also says updated version of Vanished.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
Does it stray far from his first one.
Looking at that synopsis NO.  but this bit could be new "During his investigations, Collins was told by Iberian travellers that if Madeleine had been found on the street it was likely she would have been taken and a plan hatched to extract a ransom or reward.

But then, given the immediate high-profile nature of the case, they might have sold her to Romany gypsies.

Collins thinks this is the “most logical conclusion”."
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
I notice you say that the shutters can be lifted,are those the actual shutters of 5a? There is a video of Peter Mac I believe showing the actual shutters of 5a.

https://youtu.be/IeuMzyaCnnY
Well he didn't have trouble lifting them a couple of feet.
Moderation

Offline barrier

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »
Well he didn't have trouble lifting them a couple of feet.

Agree but Collins says from inside the apartment.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
Agree but Collins says from inside the apartment.
You got that wrong.  Danny Collins says they can only be raised from inside the apartment. 
Moderation