Author Topic: Anni Dewani - Extradition of Shrien Dewani  (Read 6220 times)

Offline John

Anni Dewani - Extradition of Shrien Dewani
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
After he had surrendered himself at a Bristol police station, Shrien was arrested at 22.38 on 8 December 2010, by police officers from the Metropolitan Police's extradition unit. They were acting under a provisional arrest warrant issued that day after being provided by evidence from the South African authorities via the High Commission in London, issued on "suspicion of conspiring with others to murder Mrs Anni Dewani on 13 November."

Shrien and Anni Dewani on their wedding day.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:15:34 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

Re: Anni Dewani - Extradition of Shrien Dewani
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
On the morning of 9 December, Shrien's British lawyer Clare Montgomery commented that "Shrien Dewani had no involvement in the death of his wife Anni."  Appearing that afternoon at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court, Shrien told the court that he did not consent to being extradited. Ben Watson, the British lawyer representing the South African government, disclosed that Shrien had withdrawn £1,000 in cash on his Mastercard before the murder, including £800 on the evening of 13 November. Watson further alleged that Shrien claimed in conversation with the kidnappers that he had undertaken a contract killing before in South Africa, but Shrien's lawyer Montgomery denied he had ever been to South Africa before the honeymoon. The court was subsequently shown a copy of his passport, issued in 2006, confirming that Shrien had not been there in that time.  Shrien was then granted bail, posted at £250,000, lodged by his family. However, the Crown Prosecution Service acting on behalf of the South African authorities lodged an appeal, which meant that Shrien spent the night of 9 December, in Wandsworth Prison.

On the afternoon of 10 December, at a hearing at the High Court, Watson told Mr Justice Ouseley that CCTV footage from the Cape Grace hotel showed Shrien:

Meeting Tongo twice in his taxi in the carpark of the Cape Grace on 12 November, the night before the killing, when Tongo claims Shrien asked him to hire a hitmen to kill a woman. In later extradition papers submitted to the British courts, South African Police claimed that Preyan Dewani tried to obtain the video footage of the pair meeting.

Having a series of meetings with Tongo inside the hotel, without his Anni, in the 24 hours before the killing

Handing Tongo a package of cash on 16 November, three days after the murder, having just previously been sitting beside his grieving father-in-law, Vinod Hindocha. Tongo is then seen entering the hotel toilets, where he counted the money.

Watson further stated that South African police had written confessions from shop workers in a black market currency exchange, who had identified Shrien and Tongo, and that Shrien had changed US$1,500 with them. Watson stated that South African police believed that this was an additional sum on top of the already identified £1,000 Shrien had withdrawn from cash points: "The evidence suggests there was a second source of funds that Mr Dewani sought out that has, in our submission, all the hallmarks of an illegitimate transaction."

Shrien was released on bail to his family home, subject to: surrendering his passport; observe a double curfew, between 10 am and 2 pm and 10 pm and 2 am (i.e., day and night); electronic tagging; not apply for any international travel documents; report at his local police station every evening
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:12:50 AM »
3rd December Dewani is up for possible extradition to South Africa. I do hope he gets sent there this time.

Funnily enough it was the same judge,  Sir John Thomas, who just kicked out Bamber's judicial review who halted Dewani's extradiction earlier this year. The judges said it would be 'unjust and oppressive' to sent Dewani to SA while he was suffering from depression and PTSD although the judges did say Dewani should be extradited when he is fit to stand trial!

I bet he is depressed! I would be if I had just been caught for murder (IMHO). John Thomas was spot on with Bamber but far too lenient with Dewani .... Let's hope he gets extradited on monday!

Padgates staff

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
This case echoes the case of Nisha Patel-Nasri for me but i can't explain why, there's nothing linking the 2 that is similar-not that I know about yet anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisha_Patel-Nasri

Offline frank50

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
Well it look like he is not being sent anywhere for at least six months - there will be a review in April and a more detailed hearing in June. Very disappointing. According to  the barrister for the South African government, he has refused some treatment and had been aggressive at times and arrogant. I agree with Tim - he got caught and because he is a spoilt rich kid he cant do the time and has got all depressed. A bit like Bamber in a way although Bamber is too much of a pyschopath to be depressed.

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
Well it look like he is not being sent anywhere for at least six months - there will be a review in April and a more detailed hearing in June. Very disappointing. According to  the barrister for the South African government, he has refused some treatment and had been aggressive at times and arrogant. I agree with Tim - he got caught and because he is a spoilt rich kid he cant do the time and has got all depressed. A bit like Bamber in a way although Bamber is too much of a pyschopath to be depressed.

Totally agree...this is turning out to be a right farce!   ?8)@)-)

Honeymoon murder suspect Shrien Dewani 'terrified of car travel and spends days playing computer games'

Dewani, 33, is being treated for depression and post-traumatic stress disorder while facing extradition to South Africa
    The court heard that he has 'adapted poorly' to treatment
    He is accused of ordering the murder of his wife Anni Dewani on their honeymoon in Cape Town
    His extradition has been halted as he is suffering severe mental disorders

Read more...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:00:26 AM by John »

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
Absolutely pathetic! I read this ridiculous decision yesterday and was too appalled to comment! This murderer knows he is bang to rights in South Africa and will get at least 25 years so of course he is going to be depressed ... and anything else he can be to delay the inevitable! Disgraceful!

BB

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
Not that I feel qualified to make a judgement on the actual crime itself but Tim, have you been to South Africa?! Corruption is rife within the Police, even in sparkling Cape Town, and I say that as a staunch supporter of Police generally. http://www.economist.com/node/21557385  I'm not saying that a correct conviction and fair trial is not possible in South Africa, but the entrenched and systemic corruption there, means that no-one is going to readily volunteer to have any dealings with the justice system there, let alone return from overseas to be judged by it! How anyone can have confidence in the justice system there is beyond me. Maybe because the world is watching this case, they will ensure that a fair and just process will prevail. Maybe that is the accused's motive, to make this story headline news worldwide, so that if/when it does happen, as many people around the world are scrutinising the proceedings.

I am by no means defending murderers but I could not believe what I saw in South Africa, away from tourist Cape Town and the wine route etc.... and I wasn't a tourist.

The whole mess must be a complete nightmare for her family though  8(8-)) 8(8-))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:39:33 PM by Amazonian »

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
Not that I feel qualified to make a judgement on the actual crime itself but Tim, have you been to South Africa?! Corruption is rife within the Police, even in sparkling Cape Town, and I say that as a staunch supporter of Police generally. http://www.economist.com/node/21557385  I'm not saying that a correct conviction and fair trial is not possible in South Africa, but the entrenched and systemic corruption there, means that no-one is going to readily volunteer to have any dealings with the justice system there, let alone return from overseas to be judged by it! How anyone can have confidence in the justice system there is beyond me. Maybe because the world is watching this case, they will ensure that a fair and just process will prevail. Maybe that is the accused's motive, to make this story headline news worldwide, so that if/when it does happen, as many people around the world are scrutinising the proceedings.

I am by no means defending murderers but I could not believe what I saw in South Africa, away from tourist Cape Town and the wine route etc.... and I wasn't a tourist.

The whole mess must be a complete nightmare for her family though  8(8-)) 8(8-))

I know what you mean Amazon; I think Jo'burg has been the murder capital of the world for sometime now and the wealthy basically live in fortified compounds in much of the country. Car hijackings are rife and  I believe that's why Dewani chose South Africa as his surprise honeymoon location.   

I am sure police and judicial corruption is rife too as you say but the UK courts and the Home Secretary are satisfied Dewani should be sent back to face his trial. It's only Dewani's mental state that is preventing the extradition and in my opinion that is ludicrous. Of course he is going to be depressed; his three co-conspirators have already been convicted and they have all named him as the instigator! The cell phone records and CCTV evidence would appear to be damning too!

Justice delayed is justice denied.

PS: We get the keys in the 17th!   8)--)) 

Offline frank50

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
Youre 100% right Tim. The fact that there is crime and corruption in South Africa is irrelevant. This is not a lawless country at all and there are good judges and lawyers in that country - its only the poor blacks who cant afford proper representation to challenge corrupt police practices.  Dewani will be able to afford the best representation ( all the way to appeal if necessary) and will get a perfectly fair trial I can assure you.

I know what you mean Amazon; I think Jo'burg has been the murder capital of the world for sometime now and the wealthy basically live in fortified compounds in much of the country. Car hijackings are rife and  I believe that's why Dewani chose South Africa as his surprise honeymoon location.   

I am sure police and judicial corruption is rife too as you say but the UK courts and the Home Secretary are satisfied Dewani should be sent back to face his trial. It's only Dewani's mental state that is preventing the extradition and in my opinion that is ludicrous. Of course he is going to be depressed; his three co-conspirators have already been convicted and they have all named him as the instigator! The cell phone records and CCTV evidence would appear to be damning too!

Justice delayed is justice denied.

PS: We get the keys in the 17th!   8)--))

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »
You would think that they didn't have psychiatric clinics in South Africa.  I just wonder how much longer this fiasco will be allowed to continue?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline devils advocate

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
You would think that they didn't have psychiatric clinics in South Africa.  I just wonder how much longer this fiasco will be allowed to continue?
The sad thing is that he will probably get worse rather then better the longer they allow this issue to fester.

Offline frank50

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Well as I said the fiasco is going on for at least another six months Its disguesting - really is. OF coures they have  doctors and pyschiatrists in South  Africa - better than here. I just have visions of him never leaving the Uk.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:56:14 PM by John »

Padgates staff

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:15 AM »
Shrien's going to milk it for what he can get, I believe he did it and he deserves to pay the price. Even an idit knows what the court system in S. Africa is like, he should have thought about that, he could have just walked away like a man and said he'd made a mistake getting married and just seen the holiday out.

Padgates staff

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
Xolile Mngeni given life sentence - he fired the shot at Annie Dewani.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20605804