Author Topic: Moderation queries.  (Read 92472 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Moderation queries.
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
There are two recent issues with that.

1) An instance in which a member did a copy and paste from my blog, then requested a cite from me.  Cites don't work like that.

2) An instance in which a member provided a link and claimed it as a cite.  Since the link in question did not pertain to the debate, there was no point in getting bogged down in its veracity.

Cites are not weapons of debate.  They are either pertinent or they are not.  There is no forum rule that non-pertinent cites have to be accepted or debated.

Why is there the necessity of having to ask for cites.  If one is quoting from a particular source why not just include that in the post as a matter of course to enable members to check it out?  In my opinion that would be the courteous thing to do in the first instance.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »
Why is there the necessity of having to ask for cites.  If one is quoting from a particular source why not just include that in the post as a matter of course to enable members to check it out?  In my opinion that would be the courteous thing to do in the first instance.

When I joined MoJ cites weren't required. Lots of members were posting their own opinions as if they were facts. There was also a lot of paraphrasing going on. The onus was on the reader of the post to decide whether 'fact's' were fact or opinion and whether quotes were correct or paraphrased, which sometimes made them suggest something incorrect.

Although the rules now say that opinions must be identified  as such and cites must be provided for facts that doesn't always happen. Hence the need to ask.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
When I joined MoJ cites weren't required. Lots of members were posting their own opinions as if they were facts. There was also a lot of paraphrasing going on. The onus was on the reader of the post to decide whether 'fact's' were fact or opinion and whether quotes were correct or paraphrased, which sometimes made them suggest something incorrect.

Although the rules now say that opinions must be identified  as such and cites must be provided for facts that doesn't always happen. Hence the need to ask.
I don't know when you joined the forum but when I joined in late 2013 it was very common for cites to be requested.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2019, 03:31:50 PM »
I don't know when you joined the forum but when I joined in late 2013 it was very common for cites to be requested.

And a lot of them were rubbish.  Still are sometimes.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
Yet again the rules have been blatantly ignored and action has had to be taken. How many chances should people be given, I wonder?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2019, 05:01:30 PM »
Yet again the rules have been blatantly ignored and action has had to be taken. How many chances should people be given, I wonder?

I suppose some score should be kept .
Perhaps differing penalty points depending on the gravity of the breaking of rules?
Ten points for insulting a fellow poster?
Twenty for insulting a moderator?
Twenty for posting libel?

In school each child was awarded points for good behaviour.
Perhaps that should be considered?

This could be fun!
On a Friday the golden time was a reward for good behaviour.
Some children had their whole half hour of Golden time, some less, some even less and some none at all!

Back to your original question.
Do you have any suggestion of "how many chances people should be given" ?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »

Posters may please themselves.  And Moderators do not have the last word.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
IMO, Davel is deliberately provoked to breaking point by members and mods who seem intent on getting a rise out of him and then using as an excuse to silence him.  I used to be similarly provoked and would rise to the bait.  I probably still would if the mod who used to pursue me relentlessly and give me warning for absolutely nothing hadn’t decided to take a bit of a backseat.  I completely understand Davel’s frustrations.   The answer of course is to rise above the bait but it can be difficult sometimes. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »
IMO, Davel is deliberately provoked to breaking point by members and mods who seem intent on getting a rise out of him and then using as an excuse to silence him.  I used to be similarly provoked and would rise to the bait.  I probably still would if the mod who used to pursue me relentlessly and give me warning for absolutely nothing hadn’t decided to take a bit of a backseat.  I completely understand Davel’s frustrations.   The answer of course is to rise above the bait but it can be difficult sometimes.

Observing the entirety of the posts.
Deliberately provoked  is most definitely the correct description.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2019, 06:00:20 PM »

It is often what you don't say that matters.  But this can be hard.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2019, 06:58:52 PM »

Self control is definitely the answer imo, because the alterative is being controlled by others. My method is to write my answer to a post which annoys me then read it back. I then edit or delete it, depending. It's a trick I used with emails.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
Self control is definitely the answer imo, because the alterative is being controlled by others. My method is to write my answer to a post which annoys me then read it back. I then edit or delete it, depending. It's a trick I used with emails.

To be fair, you have never, ever been subjected to the over moderating and combined hounding by two posters which Davel was subjected to on that evening.
An annoying post can be easily ignored.
I do it many a time.
But that is not the same as the unfair moderating and goading which Davel was subjected to on that evening!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:19:33 PM by Erngath »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2019, 08:12:39 PM »
You’d be amazed (or not) by how many posts I begin with “you complete tw..” and then delete before posting..l 8(>((
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »
You’d be amazed (or not) by how many posts I begin with “you complete tw..” and then delete before posting..l 8(>((

I get the same urge myself sometimes.  But it would never do, of course.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
To be fair, you have never, ever been subjected to the over moderating and combined hounding by two posters which Davel was subjected to on that evening.
An annoying post can be easily ignored.
I do it many a time.
But that is not the same as the unfair moderating and goading which Davel was subjected to on that evening!

It's not always possible to prove you're right. The sensible thing to do then is to stop trying. Resorting to abuse isn't the sensible thing to do, especially if those disagreeing with you are moderators.
Result = happy posting.