Author Topic: Robert Murat wins libel case against national daily Correio da Manhã  (Read 33265 times)

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
And where did they get that news from?

It is true that the witness, in particular, have ensured the PJ, "according to a source close to the investigation"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:03:01 PM by DCI »
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

debunker

It was my understanding that in Portugal freedom of speech trumped the individual's right not to be slandered and libelled so my question was whether this recent decision in favour of Murat might be taken as a promising sign from the McCanns' point of view?

That was never going to be the case. Even in the US a lot of what has been printed would be defamatory under their laws. Someone just assumed that it was only in the UK that such actions for defamation are likely to be successful.

amaraltheofficeboy

Robert M, in this appeal, didn't obtain as much as he had asked in the first instance (he lost)

not winning the amount he asked for does not mean he "lost".

He won his case - are you denying that?

amaraltheofficeboy

Do we think this news might put the McCanns in a stronger position regarding the forth-coming libel trial against Amaral?

In what way  ?  ...  Did Amaral similarly  libel Murat  ?  (  in his book, I mean )

Read chapter 7, of his book.

please tell me that is not compulsory

Offline Eleanor

Robert M, in this appeal, didn't obtain as much as he had asked in the first instance (he lost)

not winning the amount he asked for does not mean he "lost".

He won his case - are you denying that?

You have to admit that it's quite a good bit of spin, if you have a brain the size of a pea.  Although even a pea might have trouble with that one.

Offline Carana

i'm having trouble understanding the Portuguese.

This appears to be a ruling of the Lisbon Court of Appeal. Is that correct?

And is it a civil suit?

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
Do we think this news might put the McCanns in a stronger position regarding the forth-coming libel trial against Amaral?

In what way  ?  ...  Did Amaral similarly  libel Murat  ?  (  in his book, I mean )

Sorry, it is if you want to see Amaral libelling, Murat.  8)><(
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

amaraltheofficeboy

Sorry, it is if you want to see Amaral libelling, Murat.  8)><(

?{)(**

Rachel Granada

Robert M, in this appeal, didn't obtain as much as he had asked in the first instance (he lost). The judgement is based on the effects of the CdM's articles on Robert M's life :  he was mainly deprived of peace of mind and tranquillity, forced to go out in disguise in order not to be recognized, avoiding friends in order to protect them as well from photographs, etc., bound to leave his mother's house.
The "journalists" are accused of high neglect in publishing "news" and photographs without respect of the presumption of innocence.

It is true that the witness, in particular, have ensured the PJ, "according to a source close to the investigation"

Anne, I don't think this was about money for Robert Murat.  It was about challenging the disgusting smears on his character from the PT Press. 

Offline Eleanor

Robert M, in this appeal, didn't obtain as much as he had asked in the first instance (he lost). The judgement is based on the effects of the CdM's articles on Robert M's life :  he was mainly deprived of peace of mind and tranquillity, forced to go out in disguise in order not to be recognized, avoiding friends in order to protect them as well from photographs, etc., bound to leave his mother's house.
The "journalists" are accused of high neglect in publishing "news" and photographs without respect of the presumption of innocence.

Anne, I don't think this was about money for Robert Murat.  It was about challenging the disgusting smears on his character from the PT Press.

15,000 Euros sounds half decent to me.  So what did he lose?

amaraltheofficeboy

there are rumours abound that a certain couple who had a fallout (reported on the internet) were the source of false information to the press.

AnneGuedes

I didn't say it was about money, Rachel. He asked 60000 (half of it was patrimonial loss and the other half for moral prejudice) in first instance. Now he won, that's what matters (15000 is symbolical)

Offline Carana

15,000 Euros sounds half decent to me.  So what did he lose?

Getting only €15k for being accused of the worst accusations and the repercussions on the family for so long?

Offline Eleanor

there are rumours abound that a certain couple who had a fallout (reported on the internet) were the source of false information to the press.

Quite shocking, isn't it.  The worst yet.

amaraltheofficeboy

(he lost)

he won