Author Topic: Robert Murat wins libel case against national daily Correio da Manhã  (Read 33323 times)

Offline Carana

Robert Murat wins slander case as Kate McCann visits Luz
by Brendan de Beer, in General · 09-05-2013 10:23:00 · 2 Comments

A Lisbon court has ruled national daily Correio da Manhã pay a total of 15,000 euros to Robert Murat who was dragged into the case of missing British toddler Madeleine McCann after volunteering to act as a translator between Portuguese authorities and the McCanns.

http://algarvedailynews.com/news/9710-correio-da-manha-pays-robert-murat-damages

http://theportugalnews.com/news/robert-murat-wins-slander-case-as-kate-mccann-visits-luz/28371
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:56:04 PM by John »

Offline Carana

Can anyone find a link to the full ruling on this?

Here it is »

Acórdão do Tribunal da Relação de Lisboa

http://www.dgsi.pt/jtrl.nsf/33182fc732316039802565fa00497eec/8ae65886ef70827180257b63003d7a75?OpenDocument
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:21:56 PM by John »

AnneGuedes

Can anyone find a link to the full ruling on this?
I did a little search and found nothing. What is known is through the Lusa agency.
http://www.jn.pt/Dossies/dossie.aspx?content_id=3204064&dossier=O%20caso%20Maddie%20McCann
You have to go to the Tribunal da Relação to read the full ruling, I'm afraid.

Offline muratfan

Hmm... PJ Officer lied and fed spin, lies and smears to the papers.... sound familiar to anyone??

Amaral really is the common denominator in all of this isn't he

icabodcrane

Do we think this news might put the McCanns in a stronger position regarding the forth-coming libel trial against Amaral?

In what way  ?  ...  Did Amaral similarly  libel Murat  ?  (  in his book, I mean ) 

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
Do we think this news might put the McCanns in a stronger position regarding the forth-coming libel trial against Amaral?

In what way  ?  ...  Did Amaral similarly  libel Murat  ?  (  in his book, I mean )

Read chapter 7, of his book.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Mr Gray

Read chapter 7, of his book.

I think the judgement shows that the McCanns have a stronger case than a lot of posters thought. If Amaral has libelled Murat then perhaps on the strength of this victory Murat will sue Amaral once the McCanns have finished with him.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:00:04 PM by Angelo222 »

Rachel Granada

It was my understanding that in Portugal freedom of speech trumped the individual's right not to be slandered and libelled so my question was whether this recent decision in favour of Murat might be taken as a promising sign from the McCanns' point of view?

Here's hoping, Martha - here's hoping.  I'm very glad to hear that Robert Murat has fought back against the poisonous PT press and won.

Offline Mr Gray

It was my understanding that in Portugal freedom of speech trumped the individual's right not to be slandered and libelled so my question was whether this recent decision in favour of Murat might be taken as a promising sign from the McCanns' point of view?

I think that the reversal of  the ban on the book led people to believe this when that is not the case. As I understand the ban was overturned because the book had not yet been shown to be libellous as the case had not been heard. That ruling did not show that the book was not libellous.

Offline Benice

I think that the reversal of  the ban on the book led people to believe this when that is not the case. As I understand the ban was overturned because the book had not yet been shown to be libellous as the case had not been heard. That ruling did not show that the book was not libellous.

That makes perfect sense Davel. 

What I find incomprehensible is that the McCanns were apparently not legally represented at the court case when the ban was overturned.     Can anyone confirm whether that is actually true please?  If it is  - I find that to be quite astonishing.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

icabodcrane

What I find incomprehensible is that the McCanns were apparently not legally represented at the court case when the ban was overturned.     Can anyone confirm whether that is actually true please?  If it is  - I find that to be quite astonishing.

Kate confirms in her book that it was 'a bolt from the blue'

In fact, she says Clarence Michell learned about the reversal of the injunction from a Sun reporter

AnneGuedes

Nobody was there, Benice, it's a judgement on a judgement... the Supreme Court considered there was no motive for a ban. Supreme Courts rarely lose an opportunity to show their superiority. But they don't have the last word. An appeal was possible. And was made.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:16:24 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline Carana

A friend found the link to the Murat Appeal court ruling.

http://www.dgsi.pt/jtrl.nsf/33182fc732316039802565fa00497eec/8ae65886ef70827180257b63003d7a75?OpenDocument

I'm interested in the legal bases of this ruling and Google translate produces gibberish.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:43:43 PM by Carana »

AnneGuedes

figure of speech ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:27:56 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline Eleanor

This has got to be the final nail in Amaral's coffin.

The above statement is simply a figure of speech, for those who don't understand colloquial or idiomatic English.