Author Topic: Nigella Lawson  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Outlook

Nigella Lawson
« on: June 23, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »
We are constantly bombarded with "celebrities" and their "perfect lives."  Has recent events changed anyone's views on Nigella as a "Domestic Goddess" as previously portrayed by the media?

More sympathy?  Less?

Redblossom

Re: Nigella Lawson
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
We are constantly bombarded with "celebrities" and their "perfect lives."  Has recent events changed anyone's views on Nigella as a "Domestic Goddess" as previously portrayed by the media?

More sympathy?  Less?

I have never been under any illusion that rich people, celebrities, outwardly confident people, people with any measure of success as its seen by many, are so happy and fulfilled compared to the rest of us. In fact being rich titled with status or p osition and or famous increases the chances IMO of being anything but.

I must admit I was surprised by Nigellas story as she has always looked so happy. We cant know the inner psyches or what goes on behind closed doors of anyone in the limelight. They are just as frail and human as everyone else at the end of the day. She doesnt need him for financial security so why she married a pig or someone who behaved like one is a mystery.

She made huge efforts to be a domestic goddess and dont fault her for that. nice touch in an age where domesticity has been frowned on over being the ceo of some goddamm pathetic company just for the status and money

Offline sika

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »

More sympathy?  Less?
It's all bullshit. I couldn't give a flying f..k about these no marks who pop up on the tv and in the papers, with their self serving bullshit. I mean, who the f..k are they anyway? Why are these dullards celebrated, while the people who deserve respect are largely ignored? How much further are we going to dumb down?

Offline puglove

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »

More sympathy?  Less?

Absolutely none. Good grief, why would you just sit there while some IDIOT shoved his fingers up your nose? And she's a big, beefy bird, she should have wrapped her chair round his stupid head. More fool her, enabling a bully.    ?8)@)-)
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Myster

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
Got it all out of your system now, sika... I bet that's a relief !

Nigella's too haute cuisine for me, and her voluptuosity (?) was a distraction.

She might not be as sexy, but my favourite at the mo is this lady (I think she's a lady... I hope she's a lady!)
Not only is Titli good at baking/cooking and explains everything well, especially at HD setting, but she's amusing at the same time... and please don't become a celebrity, with a domineering golem for a husband.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpREDOYWHpc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBYui5BZ62s&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/user/TitliNihaan/videos

She's worth watching too for her ripostes to the few insults in the comments part below.

Now if only you could reach into the screen and grab one of her tempting dishes.

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Redblossom

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »
Absolutely none. Good grief, why would you just sit there while some IDIOT shoved his fingers up your nose? And she's a big, beefy bird, she should have wrapped her chair round his stupid head. More fool her, enabling a bully.    ?8)@)-)

She obviously was intimidated and controlled by him, for whatever reason, youcant castigate her for feeling fear, it happens

Offline sika

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:41:06 PM »
Got it all out of your system now, sika... I bet that's a relief !

Nigella's too haute cuisine for me, and her voluptuosity (?) was a distraction.

She might not be as sexy, but my favourite at the mo is this lady (I think she's a lady... I hope she's a lady!)
Not only is Titli good at baking/cooking and explains everything well, especially at HD setting, but she's amusing at the same time... and please don't become a celebrity, with a domineering golem for a husband.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpREDOYWHpc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBYui5BZ62s&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/user/TitliNihaan/videos

She's worth watching too for her ripostes to the few insults in the comments part below.

Now if only you could reach into the screen and grab one of her tempting dishes.
Oh goodness! Sorry about that!

I have turned into a very bitter and twisted old so and so, I'm afraid!

Offline puglove

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:48 PM »
She obviously was intimidated and controlled by him, for whatever reason, youcant castigate her for feeling fear, it happens

But it shouldn't happen. And why would she be with someone who has so little regard for her that he abuses her and debases her in a public place?

I wonder what her children have witnessed over the last 10 years?
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Outlook

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
Well that is what I wondered.  She should have been able to handle him in a public place, I would not be inclined to let a partner throttle me in public without making some protest.

I keep thinking of these celebrities that always tip the media off first before something happens, a'la Diana.  Maybe she set this up?

But I agree, what must it be like in private?

For obvious reasons I prefer the recipes of Ching He Huang:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/ching-he_huang
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:09:56 PM by Outlook »

Offline Outlook

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
Now look at these filthy, greasy pans.  This woman is supposed to be a domestic goddess yet she and these pans are strangers to Brillo pads.  I would be ashamed if my pans were that filthy.  No wonder she is being dumped.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349924/Nigella-Lawson-Charles-Saatchis-belongings-arrive-Nigellas-Chelsea-house-leave.html

Offline Myster

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »
Now look at these filthy, greasy pans.  This woman is supposed to be a domestic goddess yet she and these pans are strangers to Brillo pads.  I would be ashamed if my pans were that filthy.  No wonder she is being dumped.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349924/Nigella-Lawson-Charles-Saatchis-belongings-arrive-Nigellas-Chelsea-house-leave.html

Have you never heard the Old English proverb - "Food cooked in dirty pan taste better than in clean one" ?
All the best chefs' pots and pans look like that, Outlook.... even mine ! (joke)

But those flitting photos provided perfect product placement for John Lewis, Gibson guitars and Vitamix (whatever that is).

They seemed to spend most of their mealtimes eating at restaurants anyway, not in their own dining room.
Were all those homely cookery programmes a con ?

And yes, I saw Ching-He Huang on the 'Chinese Food Made Easy' series a few years back, so I bought a wok and a pair of chopsticks to experiment. But then I found out that using a wok (unless it's very flat-bottomed) on an electric hob is a non-starter, and that chopsticks are an abomination for a westerner to use (the last time I looked in the kitchen drawer a married couple of woodworm had set up home in them).

Seriously though, those press photos of Saatchi poking and prodding her face made public, must have given Nigella the impetus she needed to get out of an alleged abusive relationship (and as she's going to America for work shortly, it seemed as good a time as any).

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Outlook

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
Well I still have my grandmothers wok which my mother buried in the vegetable garden for safe-keeping during "The Great Leap Forward."  It is 15 inches of stained cast iron which has been rehandled twice but still carries the joy of three generations of family cooking.  A good wok is to be cherished and oiled but not much good on electric rings but you can get little cast iron stands to carry the heat and support the wok.  But greasy aluminium pans like Nigella's carry no such joyous history.

I am also struggling to imagine her on a "Space-Hopper" though.

To be honest if she is getting out of an abusive relationship it is for the good.  However, I did buy this week's Private Eye to release my inner bitch.  It is well worth the money.  The "Never Too Old" series on the Murdock/Deng saga is a real jem.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:39:46 PM by Outlook »