Author Topic: Does Cipriano's convictions let Amaral and the PJ off the hook?  (Read 43976 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Does Cipriano's convictions let Amaral and the PJ off the hook?
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
That's extraordinary ! Pretending to have knowledge about a case when none of the inquisitors  is capable to read Portuguese and do more than googletranslate and feed on tabloids articles.
Should tattling be amazing under the benediction of the  fu...ing to...er of Mrs McCann ?

Amaral is a convicted criminal...of that there can be no argumant

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
Hers another one. It sems the police understand the system. Again the court accepts torture but cannot identify the offices due to lack of evidence

•The Court of Appeal in Lisbon ordered a retrial in the case of Albino Libânio, who was assaulted by prison officers in Lisbon Prison in 2003. The Court granted a request by Albino Libânio’s lawyers for the Portuguese state to be named as a defendant. The decision was made on the grounds that, as his injuries occurred while he was in the care of the prison system, the state should be held liable even if it was impossible to prove which prison officers were responsible for the attack. The original trial had recognized the injuries suffered by Albino Libânio but acquitted all seven prison officers of assault because of lack of evidence proving their responsibility. A new trial date had not been set at the end of the year.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »
This post explains why the officers were acquitted even though torture had taken place..

•On 22 May the Criminal Court of Faro issued its sentence in the case of the torture of Leonor Cipriano. The court recognized that she had been tortured in police custody in 2004, but acquitted all three police officers, claiming that it was impossible to identify exactly who had been responsible. A fourth officer was convicted of giving false testimony and another was convicted of falsifying documents. Leonor Cipriano’s appeal was pending at the end of the year

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
This post explains why the officers were acquitted even though torture had taken place..

•On 22 May the Criminal Court of Faro issued its sentence in the case of the torture of Leonor Cipriano. The court recognized that she had been tortured in police custody in 2004, but acquitted all three police officers, claiming that it was impossible to identify exactly who had been responsible. A fourth officer was convicted of giving false testimony and another was convicted of falsifying documents. Leonor Cipriano’s appeal was pending at the end of the year

A suspect cannot be interviewed unless their lawyer is present so what occurred in Leonor's case since he appears to be absent?   Surely all the PJ officers should have been convicted of a conspiracy to conceal a crime?  They all covered for each other so jointly they were responsible, it is a very damming indictment of the Portuguese criminal justice system that they were allowed to get away with it.  In my opinion it sent out a wholly inappropriate message.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline jassi

« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »
A suspect cannot be interviewed unless their lawyer is present so what occurred in Leonor's case since he appears to be absent?   Surely all the PJ officers should have been convicted of a conspiracy to conceal a crime?  They all covered for each other so jointly they were responsible, it is a very damming indictment of the Portuguese criminal justice system that they were allowed to get away with it.  In my opinion it sent out a wholly inappropriate message.

I suspect it is something that happens in police forces the world over.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Benice

« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »

There doesn't even appear to have been an internal enquiry - (if there was Ive never heard anything about it)
They must know who picked LC at 6.a.m. from the prison - in the absence of the Governor - and who returned her - and who was on duty at the police station that day and what they were doing.   They also must know that a lawyer was not present at the time.

The apparent lack of action is absolutely shocking IMO. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

AnneGuedes

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
There doesn't even appear to have been an internal enquiry - (if there was Ive never heard anything about it)
They must know who picked LC at 6.a.m. from the prison - in the absence of the Governor - and who returned her - and who was on duty at the police station that day and what they were doing.   They also must know that a lawyer was not present at the time.

The apparent lack of action is absolutely shocking IMO.
If you were interested in this case, you would have brought here original and reliable documents supporting your arguments.
As you obviously don't intend to do it, I can't but infer that your admirable purpose is to discredit the PJ.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
If you were interested in this case, you would have brought here original and reliable documents supporting your arguments.
As you obviously don't intend to do it, I can't but infer that your admirable purpose is to discredit the PJ.

With all respect Anne, the PJ managed that all by themselves.  I don't know why you protect them so, do you really believe they are guiltless??

Is it a case of a few rotten apples??
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Kazcutt

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
[/b]

Incest was the motive put forward by the PJ , but the Court rejected it.
However, inspite of there being no motive established, she was still found guilty.....   

Amaral was sentenced to 18 months in prison - suspended.   He appealed, and his appeal was thrown out.

She was found guilty even after a man has been charged ?

Redblossom

« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »
She was found guilty even after a man has been charged ?

She was found guilty years before.....she was found guilty of perjury also after amarals conviction.....

Youre confusing two different trials/issues

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:31:55 PM by Redblossom »

Offline misty

« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »
04/21/2015 22:15 Four inspectors PJ accused of torture Defense asks for absolution of the inspectors of the PJ of Coimbra.

Ler mais em: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcorreia%2Bda%2Bmanha%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D669&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=pt-BR&u=http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/nacional/portugal/detalhe/inspetores_da_pj_acusados_de_tortura.html&usg=ALkJrhgs8xbC0[Name removed]EIY9ULEEgAjk2iiUevA

The defense asked this Tuesday, the Court of Coimbra, the acquittal of four inspectors of the Judicial Police (PJ), accused of a crime of torture, co-authored, in Figueira da Foz. The four inspectors, three men and a woman, were charged by the Public Prosecutor (MP) of the commission of a crime of torture and other cruel, degrading or inhuman serious, as part of an investigation of a man suspected of drug trafficking, Shaggy, in Figueira da Foz. In closing arguments, the defense lawyer of the four inspectors of the PJ center of the Board stated that, throughout the trial, "no one identified, grazed or lightly, the defendants" as having done what they are accused. The defense pointed out that the victim could not identify any of the crime practice of defendants in the indictment, stating that "there is no direct or indirect evidence" linking the inspectors of the PJ to the alleged assault.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Déjà vu.
I will try to find names.

Offline Carana

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
I wonder how long ago the alleged beatings took place?

The problem goes both ways. Innocent people have been bashed around, and guilty people say they were, even if they weren't.

The only solution, IMO, would seem to be to invest in full cctv coverage from the moment they enter the station to the moment they leave.