9th March 2013It's time to help Andrew Jones' family find peace A GANG suspected of shielding Andrew Jones’s killer were visited by murder squad detectives on the 10th anniversary of his death.
A GANG suspected of shielding Andrew Jones ’s killer were visited by murder squad detectives on the 10th anniversary of his death.
The 18-year-old Everton fan, from Walton, was punched to the floor by someone in a group of men and women who said he had bumped into them.
His family believe those in the group have always concealed the identity of his killer.
Murder squad detectives have spoken to each of the gang in a bid to crack the wall of silence – urging them to finally put any allegiances aside.
Detective superintendent Dave Brunskill confirmed: “We have gone to extensive efforts to try and reach individuals who may hold key information regarding Andrew’s death.
“We don’t know who is responsible but we know that the person came from within a small group of individuals.
“It is a heavy weight to carry for 10 years, knowing that their actions resulted in somebody’s death. “Circumstances change – people have new responsibilities, they may have families of their own and think about if it was their child and justice wasn’t done.”
The unsolved killing has attracted controversy after a failed prosecution and a scathing rebuke by a Liverpool coroner to the group, who were all forced to give evidence at Andrew’s inquest.
Dr Andre Rebello said the suspects, who had confronted Andrew in Hanover Street on March 10, 2003, had shown “scarcely-believeable” gaps in their memory of the incident.
He said they would “leave court under a shadow because one of them was a killer”
and he claimed on the balance of probability he was confident of the killer’s identity.
DS Brunskill said he remained confident of bringing Andrew’s killer to justice and his belief that his identity may now be known to friends and family members of those in the group.
In a message to the gang, he said: “Someone knows what happened that night and knows who is responsible. “Now is the time to search your conscience, to realise the pain that Andrew's family still feel to this day and to do the right thing. “By coming forward now, you can help bring this investigation to its proper conclusion and help this family find some peace.”
A £10,000 reward is the incentive police hope will lead to Andrew’s killer being convicted and bring closure for his distraught parents Andy, 49, and Christine, 51.
The reward was being broadcast along with an appeal for information to a near-capacity crowd at Goodison Park for Everton’s clash with Wigan today.
Posters are being distributed around the ground and the electronic advertising boards will be used to implore witnesses to step forward.
The big TV screens in Clayton Square and Lime Street will also broadcast appeals and posters put up at bus stops throughout the city.
Police also hope an video appeal today which you can watch below and on the BBC Crimewatch website will root out people who have so far been reluctant to give evidence.
Asked if he knew the identity of Andrew’s killer, DS Brunskill declined to comment.
But he added: “I would share the optimism of Christine and Andy that someone will come forward with information that leads to the prosecution of the person responsible for Andrew’s death.
“We will leave no stone unturned in our bid to get justice for his family."
Tomorrow, on Mother’s Day, Christine and Andy will march with supporters through the city centre to the spot where he was attacked in Hanover Street in 2003.
A piper and drummer will lead supporters from a memorial at St John’s Gardens, near St George’s Hall, to Hanover Street at 1.15pm.http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/video-appeal-its-time-help-3009295