Author Topic: New smileys  (Read 10383 times)

Offline ActualMat

Re: New smileys
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
Does anyone know what this means?  I do hope it isn't rude. 

@)(++(*

Offline sadie

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
Please keep to the topic under discussion.

I have moved some posts from this thread but will reinstate them shortly under a new title.

Sadie... the  8-)(--)  smiley means "thinking" and is not a looney symbol.
John.  it is NOT used in that context as you and others MUST have noticed.  It is being regularly used to abuse me.

This is the thinking sign   >@@(*&) and the one I try and use.  The other sign is redundant, as you already have a very clear thinking sign here.

I vote it is got rid of  8-)(--) and  8)--)) also.    We really dont need them

Offline John

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
John.  it is NOT used in that context as you and others MUST have noticed.  It is being regularly used to abuse me.

This is the thinking sign   >@@(*&) and the one I try and use.  The other sign is redundant, as you already have a very clear thinking sign here.

I vote it is got rid of  8-)(--) and  8)--)) also.    We really dont need them

You are right about  >@@(*&) being the 'thinking' smiley.   I should have said  8-)(--)  is the 'undecided' smiley.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
The following little critters are also available on request:

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
It would be my intention to add the following in the near future.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:48:10 PM by John »

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »
What would really help is if you disabled the goading  smileys, especially  8-)(--) and  8)-))) and  @)(++(*   They are used mainly to wind people up IMO.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »
What would really help is if you disabled the goading  smileys, especially  8-)(--) and  8)-))) and  @)(++(*   They are used mainly to wind people up IMO.

I don't have the authority to do that, and probably wouldn't anyway.  I very, very rarely use Smilies.  But I shall look at them a bit more closely.

Offline jassi

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »

Although I do use them on occasion, I totally agree, and particularly with this one  8@??)(
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Benice

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
I don't like smilies either.   

IMO it's not difficult to 'converse' civilly.   It's just a case of attacking the post and not the poster.

IMO this forum - which accommodates BOTH 'sides', has done well to stay afloat for so long.    No mean achievement for the mods - even if we don't all agree with all of their decisions all of the time. 
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline sadie

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

I dont mind these two,  @)(++(* and  8)-)))

But there surely is no place for  8-)(--) or  8)--)) on a forum?.  The first one, 8-)(--), is particularly obnoxious insinuating insanity. 

What i miss is the :Eyes Roll: one.

I am by nature an expressive person and as Stephen keeps telling me, my English aint so good at times.

The smilies help me.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »

I luv smileys and rarely use them for that reason ... just a discipline or I would have them popping up all over the place ... I compensate by using coloured text, underline and bold.  Must analyse that because it probably tells people quite a lot about me.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline John

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Given your concerns I have removed one contentious smiley and added a few new ones.

%£&)**#  &%&£(+  *&(+(+  *&*%£
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:54:31 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
Also, feel free to use these new ones sparingly.  They are of a different format so you will have to use the links which appear on this post.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
I just see them as a bit of harmless fun.  I quite liked the undecided one but that has gone  8)><(

Most people gesticulate to some degree face-to-face and I thought the purpose of emoticons was to aid online communication in this regard?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline John

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
Several new Smiley's have been added to the list most of which can be accessed by clicking on the 'more' button located under the existing Smiley's.
 &%5y% %#&%4% 6&%5% %#&%%5 $65* %77* &%^^ $*6%
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:29:13 PM by John »