BTW I started this thread to provide a place to discuss what is on the "latest news" thread
Good idea, Pegasus.
The "news" on the "news" thread is rarely more than speculation anyway.
I don't have an opinion on the specific question you raised as the "news" often appears to be unreliable.
What does make sense to me is a methodical process of analysing information, identifying loose ends and exploring them in further detail.
The key issue seems to be a valid avenue to explore, although it may not lead anywhere.
No one knows at this point:
- whether keys actually disappeared or not;
- nor for how long if they did;
- nor in whose possession they may have been if they were;
- nor when a key to 5A specifically may have disappeared or been lost;
- nor whether keys could have been temporarily been taken from someone else's possession (hiding place) without them realising it.
Although such keys appear unusual for the UK, I'm told they are standard in Portugal. If that's the case, any corner kiosk / hardware shop could have made a duplicate and the original replaced within a very short space of time.