Author Topic: Daniel Morcombe's parents making a movie about his abduction.  (Read 2355 times)

Offline carlymichelle

Abducted Daniel Morcombe's story could become major feature film

Published 22 March 2015

 
The disappearance of Queensland teenager Daniel Morcombe and how his family coped in the aftermath has been proposed as the subject of a feature film aimed at worldwide release.

Bruce and Denise Morcombe announced on Sunday they had struck a deal with Australian producer Rod Hopping after talking with his production company Heritage Films for more than 12 months.

A concept poster for the proposed feature film, Where Is Daniel?

The film, tentatively titled Where Is Daniel?, has been slated for release some time in 2016.

But a script is still to be written and the project is yet to secure its financing.

Bruce Morcombe said they would work closely with the writers to ensure the right interpretation of their story was coming across.

"We feel very comfortable that the project will be what the Morcombes want, it'll be what the viewers want and at the end of the day it'll be a great package," he said.

"But it's not a documentary, it is a feature film and we appreciate that artists see the world very differently to the parents of Daniel Morcombe.

"What they see, what they interpret will be something really interesting and we look forward to that journey."

Daniel Morcombe was 13 years old when he went missing on the Sunshine Coast in 2003 while waiting for a bus at Woombye.

Last year, Brett Peter Cowan was sentenced to life in jail for the teenager's murder, but has appealed against his conviction.

Bruce Morcombe said he expected a ruling on Cowan's appeal would be handed down soon.

Hopping said he was thrilled he had gained the trust of the Morcombes.

"We believe that some of the roles that will be on offer will draw in some of Australia's best recognised international talent," he said.

"Our goal is also to be able to take this story globally."

The film's director, Peter Cousens, said they were aiming for a budget in the region of $5 million to $10 million and would film extensively around key Sunshine Coast locations.

"We chose the idea of making a movie, a full feature film of this story not only because of the size of the story and the complexity of it but we felt that it would be a way to elevate Daniel's story and the Morcombes' story to a global stage," Cousens said.

"We're very keen that this film takes the message that Bruce and Denise have created out of their own pain and suffering and found a way to give it purpose and meaning.

"We're keen to very much see our major international performers and actors take a part in the film and we believe that the film has some profound messages.

"Not only about the battle between good and evil and really the sweet revenge that the Morcombes have served up to evil, but also the extraordinary uplifting story that Bruce and Denise have been able to create for themselves and create for our community in Australia.

"We have a long journey ahead of us but we're extremely excited by the possibilities of this film."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/26751920/daniel-morcombes-story-could-become-major-feature-film/?cmp=fbhttp://yhoo.it/18PP00t
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:37:49 AM by John »

Offline John

Re: Daniel Morcombe's parents making a movie about his abduction.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 01:39:02 AM »
I suppose they want to keep Daniel's memory alive and nobody can blame them for that.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
I suppose they want to keep Daniel's memory alive and nobody can blame them for that.
You wanna bet?!

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »

Further we don't know if they are personally profiting from the film or whether it's going to their very worthy foundation set up in Daniel's name to make children aware of stranger danger etc.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
Further we don't know if they are personally profiting from the film or whether it's going to their very worthy foundation set up in Daniel's name to make children aware of stranger danger etc.

you could always speculate...make things up...be generally nasty

Offline Benice

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
you could always speculate...make things up...be generally nasty

I understand Cora Jones and her husband have now also written a book - ''APRIL''.   Anyone slagging them off?

The hypocrisy from some quarters is breathtaking.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »

I understand Cora Jones and her husband have now also written a book - ''APRIL''.  Anyone slagging them off?

The hypocrisy from some quarters is breathtaking.
Not yet, but please don't give anyone ideas.  Didn't Denise Bulger and Sara Payne write books too?  What about the guy who wrote "Beyond Belief" the definitive account of the Moors Murders?  Should he be vilified for cashing in?  How about books written or films made about WWII for personal gain? Where do we draw the line on who to slag off for "cashing in" on human suffering?

Offline Carana

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
If the Morcombe family agree to this film and have a say in the narration, I have no problem whatsoever, whether they earn any money for themselves out of it, whether it goes into their campaigning, or whether it's split. 

Offline Brietta

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »
If the Morcombe family agree to this film and have a say in the narration, I have no problem whatsoever, whether they earn any money for themselves out of it, whether it goes into their campaigning, or whether it's split.

I think writing books and/or making films may be a cathartic exercise for the families ... it may also be a way of having an input to what is said about their relative and ensuring accuracy.  What they do with proceeds if any, is entirely their business.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....