Author Topic: Posts must be reported before being removed by a moderator.  (Read 19443 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: Posts must be reported before being removed by a moderator.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
Your IP address is shown at the bottom of every post you make. It identifies your village.

Yours is  109.xxx.xxx.xxx

Really?  Good heavens.  How can I check on that, since it changes daily?

But I very much doubt that anyone else has access to this information.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »

Try clicking on Logged at the bottom of anyone else's post.  That's about it really.

Offline John

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
Really?  Good heavens.  How can I check on that, since it changes daily?

But I very much doubt that anyone else has access to this information.

Just pop your IP into IP Location Finder box on site below

https://www.iplocation.net
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 03:04:14 PM »

Just done that, John.  Places come up that I have never even heard of, apart from Rennes, which is 50 Kilometres away.  So that Site is not all that good.  But France Telecom is.
But at least it confirms that I am in France.  Which is all anyone needs to believe.

As it is, I remember you checking to see if I actually was in France when I first signed up as a member, as my email is wanadoo.fr.  I thought you were just asking, and taking my word for it.

I ever remain Naive.  What a hoot this Thread has turned out to be.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
An IP address is like your internet telephone number.  It looks like this >  86.115.82.118
This series of numbers can be traced back to source most of the time although some people use cloaking services which disguise their actual location.  We get hundreds of requests for membership every month and by checking IP addresses we can weed out most of the suspicious ones originating from mostly China and less often Africa.  Anyone can check an IP using the various services freely available on the internet, we use this one regularly. If you copy and paste the above IP address into site it will indicate the origin as being Finland.

Ones IP address could also be protected depending on the internet service provider one uses.  For example, if one uses Plusnet your IP relates to Plusnet and the location of their servers, not the users location. If someone uses a smart phone then the IP address again relates to the location of the service provider and not the end user.  Additionally, every time you use your phone to post the system generates a different IP number.

I thought all IS providers did that ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Online Eleanor

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »

No.  France Telecom has what are called Wandering IPs.  They change from time to time.  This is to prevent any Stalker finding out the actual location.

Offline John

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 05:19:06 PM »

No, some IP addresses can be followed right back to source.  What some people also don't realise is if you send an e-mail to someone you are also sending a record of your IP address within the code.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:26:28 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
No.  France Telecom has what are called Wandering IPs.  They change from time to time.  This is to prevent any Stalker finding out the actual location.

That's what's known as a dynamic IP, the norm being the fixed or static IP.  Some service providers charge extra for the former.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »
That's what's known as a dynamic IP, the norm being the fixed or static IP.  Some service providers charge extra for the former.

Probably worth every penny, if one worries about this sort of thing, which I don't. 

But what I pay is standard for France Telecom.  We now have ultra rapid Broad Band in the middle of Rural Brittany.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 10:05:09 PM »

Just for a bit of fun, I popped my IP address into the link above, so where am I?

It would seem I am in Alvor in the district of Faro.  We had a nice meal in Alvor once about a decade back.  Unless they have shifted it, it is not in the district of Faro.

It would also seem I am in Lagos, in the district of Faro.  That's getting a bit better, though Lagos is in the district of Lagos, not Faro.

The last one cracked me up.  It has worked out I am in Lisbon, when I have never visited Lisbon in my life.

If you want to know why every criminal in the Algarve is reported by the media as being 'close to Luz', you may well have an explanation.

And you possibly have an explanation why it is hard to weed out multiple accounts.

Thankfully, someone higher up the pecking order has the challenge of detecting and deleting spurious accounts.  By the time it gets to my level, I am entitled to think you have been vetted.

And I'm still not interested in your email address.  Sorry!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:19:54 PM by ShiningInLuz »
What's up, old man?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »
The French idea sounds cool.
The ISP I use works on their server location as my IP address location whatever.
According to them I am either in Slough or Bournemouth, depending on "traffic".
In reality I am not within 20km of either.
Even if coordinates are given they are for the server.
Comes of living in the backwoods and using string and cocoa tins I suppose.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline sika

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »
A few years ago on here, my location was disclosed to other posters.  I never received an explanation as to how this happened. 

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »
I don't get a clue as to what people's IP address is, nor do I wish to.

I do get your email address if you report a post.  Frankly, I don't give a r*t's a**e about your email address (nothing personal).

And if Admin can work out a way where I simply get notified that a post is to be moderated, without my email inbox filling up, without your email address, I for one will vote for it in a heartbeat.

As no one seems to be reporting emails coming from forum moderators, is this a real issue?

I wasn't asking you, and your reply was pathetic. If I have any further questions or 'real issues' I will ask in private in future to the site owner. If thats ok with you...  Thanks.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »
The editors job is to keep content relevant and orderly and to introduce new stories where appropriate.  Editors are also moderators and can undertake all moderation duties.  As senior editor I am responsible for compliance too thus I send out edicts occasionally.

The forum currently has one editor, Angelo, and one senior editor, myself.  Any mod can apply to be an editor.

I hope this helps,

John

Yes, thanks for that John. I know of three mods who will be applying for editor statuts.....

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »
My IP changes every time I shut down my laptop, which is why I don't know what it is now.

I have tracked it when I had access to an Admin Panel, and it's never been closer to my home than at least 50 Kilometres.  Anyone going to Rennes won't find me.  As if I cared about that.

This is just more fuss about nothing.

Speaking about fussing over nothing...I note Alfie got his way, for not being very popular. Removing the 'likes' That brough us all together with a fit of hysterics!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:46:55 PM by Admin »