Author Topic: One enduring myth.  (Read 32567 times)

Alfie

One enduring myth.
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
What the recent Twitter storms have demonstrated is that there is one enduring myth in the Madeleine McCann saga that seems to have become a fact in the eyes of McCann denigrators - that the McCanns drugged their children.  I don't ever see "Truthseekers" on the sceptic side of the argument correcting this myth by pointing out that their is no evidence that the McCanns drugged their kids, so does this detail not matter to the "seekers of truth" and are they happy for the people they are seemingly trying to educate about this case to continue to believe this myth is a fact?  If so, why?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:30:31 PM by John »

Offline slartibartfast

Re: One enduring myth.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »
It is not a known fact that the McCanns or anyone else drugged the kids as no tests were performed in a realistic timescale to prove it one way or the other. There are of course certain indications which are accepted by some supporters and sceptics alike that point to the possibility of some substance being used to sedate the twins and by implication Madeleine.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
It is not a known fact that the McCanns or anyone else drugged the kids as no tests were performed in a realistic timescale to prove it one way or the other. There are of course certain indications which are accepted by some supporters and sceptics alike that point to the possibility of some substance being used to sedate the twins and by implication Madeleine.
Any idea why it has gone from "non-proven" with no tangible evidence to support it to an accepted part of the narrative (a post-truth fact if you like) amongst those who enjoy criticising the McCanns online?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
Any idea why it has gone from "non-proven" with no tangible evidence to support it to an accepted part of the narrative (a post-truth fact if you like) amongst those who enjoy criticising the McCanns online?
They will be confusing the right to express an opinion with the truth. Even if an opinion is touted to be the eventual truth it is still just an opinion.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Alfie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
Should people be allowed to say the McCanns drugged their kids to go and get drunk as a matter of fact?  It seems that in Portugal for example this would be perfectly acceptable, do we think it should also be perfectly acceptable to say so in Britain without the risk of punishment?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
Should people be allowed to say the McCanns drugged their kids to go and get drunk as a matter of fact?  It seems that in Portugal for example this would be perfectly acceptable, do we think it should also be perfectly acceptable to say so in Britain without the risk of punishment?
It would be OK for the investigating officer to say it, no one seems to question that.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »
What the recent Twitter storms have demonstrated is that there is one enduring myth in the Madeleine McCann saga that seems to have become a fact in the eyes of McCann denigrators - that the McCanns drugged their children.  I don't ever see "Truthseekers" on the sceptic side of the argument correcting this myth by pointing out that their is no evidence that the McCanns drugged their kids, so does this detail not matter to the "seekers of truth" and are they happy for the people they are seemingly trying to educate about this case to continue to believe this myth is a fact?  If so, why?

Since there is no evidence either way that the parents did so, the question of inappropriate medicating like so many will never be answered.  One saving grace however is the fact that Kate herself remarked about the sleeping twins and this was later commented on by the GNR officers.

To answer your question though, it is wrong to accuse in the absence of direct evidence, 'just another stick' I believe is the expression.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:48:44 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

ferryman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »

One enduring myth?

The honourable gentleman can't count.

Offline The Singularity

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
I've seen an interview recently where Mr and Mrs McCann were asked directly whether they used any medication to subdue the children and they categorically denied it.

The basis of this rumour I think stemmed from the twins being "unresponsive" when being woken up to what was essentially the middle of the night to them.

I believe forum carried a false narrative that Mr McCann had medical books by his bedside, along with books on how to commit the perfect murder and a bible open at a certain page which clearly indicated Kate had done something bad. In fact the amount of reading material they took on holiday according to some people was so enormous and varied, it is any wonder they managed to get out and do anything but read. Let alone get through customs with the alleged reading material they had.

I find it very hard to believe that Madeleine's parents would use medication to make their children sleep at night.To do so would selfish and very ruthless

Offline John

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
I've seen an interview recently where Mr and Mrs McCann were asked directly whether they used any medication to subdue the children and they categorically denied it.

The basis of this rumour I think stemmed from the twins being "unresponsive" when being woken up to what was essentially the middle of the night to them.

I believe forum carried a false narrative that Mr McCann had medical books by his bedside, along with books on how to commit the perfect murder and a bible open at a certain page which clearly indicated Kate had done something bad. In fact the amount of reading material they took on holiday according to some people was so enormous and varied, it is any wonder they managed to get out and do anything but read. Let alone get through customs with the alleged reading material they had.

I find it very hard to believe that Madeleine's parents would use medication to make their children sleep at night.To do so would selfish and very ruthless

I agree unless it is thought that giving a 5ml spoonful of Calpol falls into that category?   I hasten to add my medicine cupboard always contained a bottle of Calpol when my three boys were tots, usually needed for those awkward teething moments.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:54:27 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

ferryman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »

Kate, indeed, had a Bible with a marked passage in it that referring to the death of a child, given to Kate by a friend who had, herself, marked the passage in response to a tragedy in her own family.

Gerry took a book with him on the holiday that was a fiction murder story, light, popular reading and in the best-seller fiction list at the time.

Gerry was in possession of 'top secret' CEOP manuals, freely available to download from the internet.

And much else besides ....

Offline The Singularity

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
I agree unless it is thought that giving a 5ml spoonful of Calpol falls into that category?

Is Calpol an effective sleeping medicine for children do we know?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »

The rumours were begun by Kate McCann due to her observation of the twins' unresponsiveness. 
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

ferryman

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »

We do know, and it isn't.

Calpol is paracetamol for children, used to alleviate pain.

No sedative affect whatever.

Offline John

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

It takes away teething and other pains thus helping them to sleep so yes, Calpol can assist sleep indirectly as any parent who has actually reared a child will know.  In short it is a painkiller and not a sedative.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:59:01 AM by John »