Author Topic: Goncalo Amaral interviewed after the Appeal Court decision.  (Read 39526 times)

Alfie

Re: Goncalo Amaral interviewed after the Appeal Court decision.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
I suppose he is just happy to finally get the money.  Have the funds been returned to him yet?  I'd take a bit of embarrassment too if I was going to get a million Euros in the end.
I realise that.

Yes, I don't think the "thesis" needed to hang together in any sort of coherent fashion as long as there was the promise of "revealing all" and enough salacious detail to make sure the book was a bestseller, job done.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
Yes, I don't think the "thesis" needed to hang together in any sort of coherent fashion as long as there was the promise of "revealing all" and enough salacious detail to make sure the book was a bestseller, job done.

I seem to have missed the salacious detail. Do you have a page number?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
I seem to have missed the salacious detail. Do you have a page number?
  I don't know what the page number is, but here's an excerpt.  Would you describe this as salacious?  Do you think it was strictly necessary to include this in his book? 

"They have heard about the statement from one of his so-called childhood friends, put on file by the police department: according to him, M.... had an affirmed penchant for bestiality. He recounted his attempts at sexual relations with a cat and a dog, subsequently killed, he states, with cruelty. Moreover, he allegedly attempted to rape his 16 year-old cousin. This individual describes M.... as someone violent with behavioural problems, a sexual pervert, sadist, and misanthropist..."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:10:01 PM by John »

Offline The Singularity

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »
"They have heard about the statement from one of his so-called childhood friends, put on file by the police department: according to him, M..... had an affirmed penchant for bestiality. He recounted his attempts at sexual relations with a cat and a dog, subsequently killed, he states, with cruelty. Moreover, he allegedly attempted to rape his 16 year-old cousin. This individual describes M..... as someone violent with behavioural problems, a sexual pervert, sadist, and misanthropist..."

Is this passage still int he book because to me that is unbelievably libelous
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:10:45 PM by John »

Alfie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 01:57:28 PM »
Yes it is, he goes on to say he's "sceptical" about the allegations but nevertheless he still finds it necessary to detail them.  I'm sure M..... was delighted.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:11:11 PM by John »

Offline Montclair

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »

This is not libellous because it was from a statement made to the PJ by a so-called friend of R...... M...... and it was in the police files as well as in the newspapers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:11:44 PM by John »

Offline The Singularity

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
This is not libellous because it was from a statement made to the PJ by a so-called friend of R...... M...... and it was in the police files as well as in the newspapers.

It was a published false statement that was designed to ruin his reputation. Text book libel
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:12:06 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
Yes it is, he goes on to say he's "sceptical" about the allegations but nevertheless he still finds it necessary to detail them.  I'm sure Murat was delighted.

It helped to convince the British profilers (CEOP?) that there was a 90% probability of M..... being the guilty party.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:12:25 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
Even if a 'No win No fee' arrangement is made?

Have just watched the interview.   What happened to the 'uncomfortable' questions that Amaral was going to be asked?

The programme  couldn't have been more biased if it tried IMO.   The anchor-man was no Jeremy Paxman - that's for sure.

No wonder the Portuguese think it was the parents wotdunnit - if that's an example of a balanced 'analysis' of the events.

Very depressing.

http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-libel-and-privacy/funding-of-legal-costs/

RTFSPS
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

ferryman

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »

That passage is still in Amaral's book.

No clue about Portuguese law, but this is the position by English libel law.

Statements made in confidence to police are absolutely protected in libel.  That would be true of the statement we are discussing here.

As soon as such statements escape the confines of the enquiry and become public, (to an audience outside those involved in a criminal enquiry) the statement becomes libel, and those who publish it, the libellers. 

*Edited to tidy up syntax.   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:18:21 PM by ferryman »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
The announcer says the claims by Amaral are "truths".  Are "truths" facts or can truths be parts of a thesis?
Does Amaral need evidence to claim a truth or can it simply be his suspicion?

Is a truth a person's interpretation of the facts?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:30:27 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
... confront his truth with other possible truths..." https://youtu.be/-FKsKD78Qsc?t=70
 The word truth is being used in a different way than I'm used to.

How does the dictionary define "truth"?
truth
noun
1. the quality or state of being true.
"he had to accept the truth of her accusation"
synonyms:   veracity, truthfulness, verity, sincerity, candour, honesty, genuineness; More
that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
noun: the truth
"tell me the truth"
synonyms:   the fact of the matter, what actually/really happened, the case, so; More

2. a fact or belief that is accepted as true.
plural noun: truths
"the emergence of scientific truths"
synonyms:   fact, verity, certainty, certitude"

So maybe GA was using the word to mean " belief that is accepted as true" something more like the religious use of the word truth, but in that state you could not accept alternative truths, could you?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:28:51 AM by John »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 08:01:45 AM »
Can Goncalo accept alternatives to his truth?  ... confront his truth with other possible truths..." https://youtu.be/-FKsKD78Qsc?t=70
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
"The court considered the facts presented in the book and DVD, were some of them, divulged by the McCanns themselves in their numerous interviews all over the world." https://youtu.be/-FKsKD78Qsc?t=354

Is that true or just a diversion?
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
It is weird isn't it to think that hiding the body of Madeleine in a coffin that was cremated the next day is a plausible hypothesis, if that is the case what was the cadaver in the rental car?  Now it definitely can't be  the same cadaver in both scenarios, it has to be only in one or the other place.  https://youtu.be/-FKsKD78Qsc?t=1186
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:09:23 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation