Author Topic: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?  (Read 50290 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?
« Reply #510 on: August 21, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
The devil is usually in the detail. Paper states a number of facts about something, one is incorrect, someone sues based on the incorrect fact and succeeds. It is assumed by the man on the street that all the facts are incorrect.

The devil is in the detail of most things pertaining to the law and libel which in my opinion behoves internet posters to have a care when second guessing due process in Portugal.

There may not have been sufficient evidence to charge 'prime suspects' but in my opinion there was a surfeit of evidence to prove libel ... do not forget the very real offence of libel by innuendo, I doubt Sally Bercow ever will again.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #511 on: August 21, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
The devil is in the detail of most things pertaining to the law and libel which in my opinion behoves internet posters to have a care when second guessing due process in Portugal.

There may not have been sufficient evidence to charge 'prime suspects' but in my opinion there was a surfeit of evidence to prove libel ... do not forget the very real offence of libel by innuendo, I doubt Sally Bercow ever will again.

I ain’t your Grandma and I know how to suck eggs.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #512 on: August 21, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
I ain’t your Grandma and I know how to suck eggs.

It comes as no surprise that you are not Brietta's Grandma but it is a surprise that you know how to suck eggs.
Something I have never tried.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »
How to suck eggs taught by grandmother.  https://youtu.be/WiuW_XGU-jY
I think she blew the egg rather than sucked it.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.