Author Topic: For How Long Should the Review Be Funded ?  (Read 11187 times)

Offline faithlilly

For How Long Should the Review Be Funded ?
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
With a reported 4.5 million pounds having already been spent on the Scotland Yard review and with no visible signs that they are any nearer to establishing what happened to Madeleine how long should taxpayers money be spent on this ?

With only £600,000 having been spent on the Jill Dando case review is a disproptionately large amount of money being spent on this case considering the crime happened on foreign soil ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
Re: For How Long Should the Review Be Funded ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
As long as it takes, I'd say. Till its known what happened to Madeleine.

I suppose the 20 million wasted in Jersey, was ok? But at least they found a coconut shell.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

debunker

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
It would all depend on your mindset- whether you were a [ censored word ] or not.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
It would all depend on your mindset- whether you were a h..... or not.

What has mindset got to do with it ? If, after two years, the review has flagged up no viable leads surely public money can't, and shouldn't be spent chasing shadows ?

In an ideal world every missing child would be searched for until they were found or what had happened to them ascertained but this is far from an ideal world and with demands on public money growing month on month perhaps it is now time to acknowledge that the evidence available at present may be insufficient to locate Madeleine or what has happened to her ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
Does this help?

Keep Looking For Madeleine McCann: Schoolgirl Natascha Kampusch escaped abductor after 8 years.

'I find it natural that you would adapt yourself to identify with your kidnapper.' Photograph: Frank Bauer for the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/11/natascha-kampusch-interview

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
Does this help?

Keep Looking For Madeleine McCann: Schoolgirl Natascha Kampusch escaped abductor after 8 years.

'I find it natural that you would adapt yourself to identify with your kidnapper.' Photograph: Frank Bauer for the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/11/natascha-kampusch-interview

Not really.

debunker

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »
It would all depend on your mindset- whether you were a h..... or not.

What has mindset got to do with it ? If, after two years, the review has flagged up no viable leads surely public money can't, and shouldn't be spent chasing shadows ?

In an ideal world every missing child would be searched for until they were found or what had happened to them ascertained but this is far from an ideal world and with demands on public money growing month on month perhaps it is now time to acknowledge that the evidence available at present may be insufficient to locate Madeleine or what has happened to her ?

Your reply explains my contention adequately.

icabodcrane

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
If Scotland yard, having reviewed all existing evidence, come to the conclusion that Madeleine was abducted,  then the  'investigative'  element of their remit should continue  (  and be funded )  until  they find the child, or definitive evidence of what happened to her

I really don't see how anyone  ( particularly the McCanns )  would be prepared to accept anything less

...  it would be akin to British police saying,  "yeah, we think someone snatched this British child from her bed,  and may still be holding  her captive somewhere  ...  but  *shoulder shrug*  it ain't our problem" 

Redblossom

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
Scotland Yard's Madeleine McCann quiz bill soars to £4.5m

THE cost of Operation Grange, the Scotland Yard review of the Madeleine McCann mystery, has risen to £4.5million, the Sunday Express can reveal today.

By: James MurrayPublished: Sun, April 28, 2013
  10Comments
Madeleine McCann went missing in 2007

Detectives are said to be making “good progress” with the estimated £6,228-a-day investigation that began in May 2011.

The Home Office told us: “We remain committed to supporting the search.”

Home Secretary Theresa May will this week face pressure to explain in detail if taxpayers are getting value for money.

We remain committed to supporting the search
Home Office
The Yard will also be under pressure to call a press conference to say if they are any nearer to catching whoever was responsible for Madeleine’s disappearance in the Algarve in Portugal on May 3, 2007, when she was three.

On Friday, the sixth anniversary, her parents Kate and Gerry are expected to join supporters for prayers by a candle that burns day and night in their home village of Rothley, Leicestershire.

Michelle Canilleri, who lives in the village, said: “We want to make sure Madeleine will never be forgotten.”

From the Express today. It looks like there may be some sort of update by SY.

Offline Carana

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
If Scotland yard, having reviewed all existing evidence, come to the conclusion that Madeleine was abducted,  then the  'investigative'  element of their remit should continue  (  and be funded )  until  they find the child, or definitive evidence of what happened to her

I really don't see how anyone  ( particularly the McCanns )  would be prepared to accept anything less

...  it would be akin to British police saying,  "yeah, we think someone snatched this British child from her bed,  and may still be holding  her captive somewhere  ...  but  *shoulder shrug*  it ain't our problem"

Agreed.

What we don't know, but which I hope is also happening, is that the process of collating all the information from various police forces onto a database will serve as a template for other such situations. And, perhaps, restore mutual confidence as regards cooperation.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »

Kerry Needham and the family of Claudia Lawrence have had to accept less, April Jones's parents may never know what happened to their daughter or where her body is but, I assume, have accepted that there just is not the money to search indefinitely. It is the reality all families of missing people have to face.

To date the review has come up with absolutely nothing of enough weight to convince the Portuguese judiciary to re-open the case and after two years it would be an optimist indeed who could see this changing in the near future.

Redblossom

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »
Police were looking for a body for six months as they  already charged someone with murder a week or so after

Is that a waste? If you were the parent you would not think so, it would give a proper burial if they were found, but reality is police cant search forever or keep cases ongoing for years, they become cold cases and are resurrected when new evidence appears
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:31:48 PM by Redblossom »

debunker

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
Police were looking for a body for six months as they  already charged someone with murder a week or so after

Is that a waste? If you were the parent you would not think so, it would give a proper burial if they were found, but reality is police cant search forever or keep cases ongoing for years, they become cold cases and are resurrected when new evidence appears

Maybe the McCanns feel thesame.

Offline Carana

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

Good post, Redblossom.

We don't know what the trial review will reveal.

Sometimes cold cases are reviewed even without direct fresh evidence... but with new technology, a fresh set of eyes or even a member of the public who could stumble on something.

Edited to make a correction.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:02:12 AM by Carana »

Redblossom

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
Mark Bridgers trial starts tomorrow morning

goodnite Carana, off out tonight, catch you later tonight or tomorrow
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:03:27 PM by Redblossom »