Author Topic: Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?  (Read 43580 times)

stephen25000

Re: Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
The fund-raising effort for Amaral has highlighted what appears to be an almost cult-like devotion to the man who has been found legally to have caused damage to the parents of a missing child.  There are numerous heartfelt messages from his fanclub to be found on the GoFundMe page, and a hardcore of devotees who have pledged more than one (in some cases weekly) devotional contributions (there is a word for these but it escapes me at the moment)*.  Is this the start of a cult?

* tithe was the word I was thinking of :-)

Times are getting desperate, but entirely predictable.

The only observable cult in this case, is the 'people' who go out of their way in their support of the mccanns.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
Interesting article, thanks for posting.

I think it sums up precisely the behaviour and utterances of very many of the seekers after truth.  Thanks Carana.

http://www.hgi.org.uk/archive/cults2.htm#.VXgW8aY98p8
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »

stephen25000

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »
Also worth a read: on gang culture.
http://stmary.edu/StMary/files/66/6673f2a3-1a4c-42a8-9b75-171c62aa50ad.pdf

What has gang culture got to do with anyone who supports Amaral and/or who has donated to his legal fund ?

This thread has ALL the hallmarks of  something no better than the continuing hate campaign against him.

The question is, why do some need to do this ?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 01:01:30 PM »
Real cult status is when you're driving on a pilgrimage and on the way get phone calls from a top political leader.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:16:23 PM by pegasus »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 01:03:09 PM »
What has gang culture got to do with anyone who supports Amaral and/or who has donated to his legal fund ?

This thread has ALL the hallmarks of  something no better than the continuing hate campaign against him.

I think the subject stretches much further than the comments made accompanying donations to his Fund.  It encompasses the actions and sayings of his followers on blogs, social media and in the comments section of newspapers.

It defies logic that you assume mention of the campaigns against Madeleine McCann's family illustrates a "continuing hate campaign against" Mr Amaral.

That is a rather topsy-turvy assertion you have made and the question is ... why are you blind to that?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline pegasus

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »
Cult status is flying on a pilgrimage without using an airline.

Offline Anna

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »

Exactly, Stephen. Why do people have to attack others with constant criticism about their lifestyle and child care routine, when those being criticised  have no criminal record.    It works both ways.
And for the constant criticism and name calling of "McCann supporters" who are in fact also a gang.

Take your pick.......

gang [gang]
n (plural gangs)
1.  group of trouble-making young people: a group of young people who spend time together for social reasons and may engage in delinquent behaviour 
2.  group of criminals: a group of people who work together for some criminal or [ censored word]ocial purpose 
3. people who enjoy each other's company: a group of people with similar interests who like to spend time together 
4.  group of workers: a group of people working together, especially a group of labourers 
5.  set of tools: a set of tools or devices arranged to be used or operated together 

“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

stephen25000

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 01:26:18 PM »

I think the subject stretches much further than the comments made accompanying donations to his Fund.  It encompasses the actions and sayings of his followers on blogs, social media and in the comments section of newspapers.

It defies logic that you assume mention of the campaigns against Madeleine McCann's family illustrates a "continuing hate campaign against" Mr Amaral.

That is a rather topsy-turvy assertion you have made and the question is ... why are you blind to that?

I'm not blind to anything.

The tial of this thread says everything about certain mccann supporters.

Just remember I'm perfectly well aware of what some of the mccann cult supporters have done and are still continuing to do.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 01:57:21 PM »
I'm not blind to anything.

The tial of this thread says everything about certain mccann supporters.

Just remember I'm perfectly well aware of what some of the mccann cult supporters have done and are still continuing to do.

I think the difficulty you may be having is that this forum doesn't just pay lip service to Freedom of Speech ... it exercises it and allows all shades of opinion to be expressed.

There are those who are of the opinion that the adulation expressed by some of Mr Amaral's supporters amounts to awarding him cult status; there are those who disagree ~ I think you probably number among the latter.  If so I don't think you are making much of a case for rebutting the assertion.

That may very well be because you have less material to work with than the myriad of self publicists who tend to make the case for those with whom you disagree.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 02:58:02 PM »
No, there is no quasi-religious fervour on display from the mockers, that I am aware of anyway.  Enjoy your time with the Moonies.

You failed to address the issue of it being a movement No comment on that then ?
I will probably have fun with the Moonies they are nearly as risible as those who hold up Sr Amaral as deity and those who think that Sr Amaral is some kind of devil incarnate.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
Strange.  &%+((£    I am happy with my stance on this case. I feel no need to attempt to strengthen my position by attacking or ridiculing others. In my opinion those who do so are attempting to bolster their own opinions by discrediting other's views.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 03:32:56 PM »

I think the difficulty you may be having is that this forum doesn't just pay lip service to Freedom of Speech ... it exercises it and allows all shades of opinion to be expressed.

There are those who are of the opinion that the adulation expressed by some of Mr Amaral's supporters amounts to awarding him cult status; there are those who disagree ~ I think you probably number among the latter.  If so I don't think you are making much of a case for rebutting the assertion.

That may very well be because you have less material to work with than the myriad of self publicists who tend to make the case for those with whom you disagree.

I'm afraid weak sarcasm won't get you very far.

I am aware of Amaral has made mistakes.

Yet from the devoted mccann supporter, there is nothing but blind devotion offered to parents who are UNDENIABLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CASE.

ferryman

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
You failed to address the issue of it being a movement No comment on that then ?
I will probably have fun with the Moonies they are nearly as risible as those who hold up Sr Amaral as deity and those who think that Sr Amaral is some kind of devil incarnate.

Not sure about devil incarnate.

Into self-promotion and self-agrandisement at the expense at the hard (and often honest!) work of others.

In fairness, he's not alone in that respect ....

stephen25000

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »
Not sure about devil incarnate.

Into self-promotion and self-agrandisement at the expense at the hard (and often honest!) work of others.

In fairness, he's not alone in that respect ....

'Into self-promotion and self-agrandisement at the expense at the hard (and often honest!) work of others.'

Indeed. Quite applicable to the 'M' word.