Author Topic: Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?  (Read 43804 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 05:42:02 PM »
I'm getting the distinct impression that certain members here can see nothing cult-like whatsoever in the way that Goncalo is championed and promoted by his supporters.  Nothing to see here then, move along.   8(*(

Offline pegasus

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
He has a picture  from the Sistine Chapel on his F/Book page. Surely that must be proof he went there.
Is there a photo of the Pope's hand on his? No.
Did he pay his own airfare? Yes
Is there a parable of a butterfly about him? No
Not very cult-like is it?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
This thread is not specifically Goncalo's cult-like status (or otherwise) on this forum, but generally among his supporters, wherever they may be.  Like for example the funny-hatted woman with the flowers who sometimes hoves into view outside the courtroom whenever St Gonc is there, what does she do with the flowers I wonder?  Scatter them in his path?  It'll be palm fronds next, I tells ya!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:24:35 AM by Admin »

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Is there a photo of the Pope's hand on his? No.
Did he pay his own airfare? Yes
Is there a parable of a butterfly about him? No
Not very cult-like is it?
You're still not getting it are you?  Never mind.

Offline Carew

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
I'm getting the distinct impression that certain members here can see nothing cult-like whatsoever in the way that Goncalo is championed and promoted by his supporters.  Nothing to see here then, move along.   8(*(

Well......perhaps you`d better try harder with your "Gonc" posts to convince them, then.   8(0(*

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
there is always a tendency amongst cults to deny their existence...to pretend they are perfectly normal
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:26:04 AM by Admin »

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »
Well Gonc certainly has a lot of supporters. Only a small minority act in a cult like way - much the same as a hardcore base of McCann supporters. I for one am glad is he is getting some cash to help mount an appeal. This whole case from a wider perspective is far from over and regardless of what anyone says is still wide open by all accounts. Unless anyone has any insider knowledge that is - please share! Then again I keep hearing whisperings that something might be about to happen - let's see, but my guess is you will all still be hear thrashing this out for the next 6 months at least. Maybe Gonc did it?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »
Well......perhaps you`d better try harder with your "Gonc" posts to convince them, then.   8(0(*
Why so defensive on behalf of those who are deifying Gonc, anyway?  Surely you can't deny they exist?  In the same way that there are those  on "my" side of the argument who seem to think Madeleine is the second-coming, I acknowledge that they exist (and find their thinking completely doolally), however their number is tiny by comparison to the Gonc Barmy Army, which seems to be gaining some momentum, for eg: the current GoFundMe page and some of the comments therein. 

Offline Carew

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »
there is always a tendency amongst cults to deny their existence...to pretend they are perfectly normal

...........like the "perfectly normal cult" of the obsessed trawlers through comments and posts ?

Offline Carew

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
Why so defensive on behalf of those who are deifying Gonc, anyway? Surely you can't deny they exist?  In the same way that there are those  on "my" side of the argument who seem to think Madeleine is the second-coming, I acknowledge that they exist (and find their thinking completely doolally), however their number is tiny by comparison to the Gonc Barmy Army, which seems to be gaining some momentum, for eg: the current GoFundMe page and some of the comments therein.

Why you seem to feel threatened enough to obsess about it is more to the point.

I thought that it was believed to be a small hard core of repeat/regular  donors anyway, wasn`t it?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2015, 06:47:14 PM »
This is a real "As God Is My Witness" speech - it's only a part of a much longer rant from a £5 donor and a comment which received the thumbs up from 55 fellow Gonc fans and donors....

It seems that WE, the people, are left to do the decent thing and help this beleaguered man, caught between an astounding miscarriage of justice in Portugal and disgusting vilification in the UK media. And by God, by the time we are finished we will ensure that this brave man, Goncalo, is the last man standing. I am giving as I can manage, being a pensioner.So, come on millionaires, which one of you has a conscience? Which one of YOU has a disturbing thought about what is happening to our country? Which one of YOU is content to stand idly by and bequeath your children and your grandchildren a veritable Dystopia? Because, all the money in the world will not protect them from the sort of people involved in Britain’s very own Dreyfus Affair. And even were justice to be belatedly served in this case it will remain an indelible stain on our nation’s history.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
You need to go to Specsavers mate.  8(>((

In reply to your question, from an earlier post:

I read that and feeble attempts at put downs not withstanding you failed to address the whole question.
You only need look at your creation here to realise .................. well fill in as you like.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »
Why you seem to feel threatened enough to obsess about it is more to the point.

I thought that it was believed to be a small hard core of repeat/regular  donors anyway, wasn`t it?
It is a small cult, but a fascinating one nonetheless.  I am interested in cults and cultish behaviour.  I am also interested in conspiracy theorists.  I don't feel threatened by cultists or conspiracy theorists though I do believe that certain people involved in this case would have good reason to be concerned about them. 

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2015, 06:55:01 PM »

How many supporters does he have?
How many display cult like tendencies?
Two numbers will do rather than some long spiel.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »
I read that and feeble attempts at put downs not withstanding you failed to address the whole question.
You only need look at your creation here to realise .................. well fill in as you like.
What is this question of yours that you feel I have not fully answered?  Please feel free to ask it again and I will endeavour to answer it with the due gravitas you clearly feel it deserves.