Author Topic: Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?  (Read 43744 times)

Alfred R Jones

Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »
The fund-raising effort for Amaral has highlighted what appears to be an almost cult-like devotion to the man who has been found legally to have caused damage to the parents of a missing child.  There are numerous heartfelt messages from his fanclub to be found on the GoFundMe page, and a hardcore of devotees who have pledged more than one (in some cases weekly) devotional contributions (there is a word for these but it escapes me at the moment)*.  Is this the start of a cult?

* tithe was the word I was thinking of :-)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:54:24 AM by Admin »

Offline Brietta

Re: Does Goncalo Amaral have a cult following?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
The fund-raising effort for Amaral has highlighted what appears to be an almost cult-like devotion to the man who has been found legally to have caused damage to the parents of a missing child.  There are numerous heartfelt messages from his fanclub to be found on the GoFundMe page, and a hardcore of devotees who have pledged more than one (in some cases weekly) devotional contributions (there is a word for these but it escapes me at the moment)*.  Is this the start of a cult?

* tithe was the word I was thinking of :-)

One is spoilt for choice when it comes to examples of how people perceive a person they really know very little about.  Can anyone give me any reason anyone supposes he deserves to receive adulation?

linda lee ‏@lindaweryhur  Aug 5
@PORTUGALONLINE @siamesey @B_balou @Jabarn That brave man needs the tables to turn and to recieve adulation!
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
The picture I posted above is not a piss-take btw, this was taken from a "sceptic" site which reveres St Goncalo as a man of truth, honour and integrity, when his several brushes with the law would seem to indicate the reverse is true.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
One or two people appear to donate to his defence fund out of a sense of Justice (with a capital "J") over the civil case. Understandably, friends and family will no doubt also support him.

What I find curious is the amount of people who support him in the name of "truth and justice for Maddie", when virtually nothing that he has spouted over the years stands up to objective scrutiny.

Even if some of these supporters are socks, there may well be innocent newbies (or false newbies), recruited by people who claim to have read the files and really should know better.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »
If St Goncalo is the father of this cult, are Eddie & Keela the Son and the Holy Ghost?  Just a thought...

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
One or two people appear to donate to his defence fund out of a sense of Justice (with a capital "J") over the civil case. Understandably, friends and family will no doubt also support him.

What I find curious is the amount of people who support him in the name of "truth and justice for Maddie", when virtually nothing that he has spouted over the years stands up to objective scrutiny.

Even if some of these supporters are socks, there may well be innocent newbies (or false newbies), recruited by people who claim to have read the files and really should know better.
Yes, what is surprising are the number of "sceptics" who, on the one hand think the man is the best brain the PJ ever had to offer, whilst simultaneously claiming that his best work -   "The Book" -  is not really all that and who refuse to attempt to defend his "thesis".   &%+((£

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
Is this the start of a cult?
I would say that is doubtful.
Cult: noun; definitions:
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object:
A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members:
The proposition seems to fall at both hurdles, but it could be a Movement; similar to The Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement in three part harmony and all you gotta do to join is to sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar. (Arlo Guthrie).

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object:
A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members:
The proposition seems to fall at both hurdles, but it could be a Movement; similar to The Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement in three part harmony and all you gotta do to join is to sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar. (Arlo Guthrie).
Actually, I chose the word Cult specifically for its religious connotations, and the picture I posted reinforces my contention that this veneration has taken on a religious dimension for some.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »

£5

Maree Edwards

11 hours ago

Snr AmaraI I continue to support you and believe in you. May Madelieine and God go with you always. Don't give up. Please.

Offline Carana

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »

I expect that we could go into the semantics of that... but have a read:

http://www.hgi.org.uk/archive/cults2.htm#.VXgW8aY98p8

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Actually, I chose the word Cult specifically for its religious connotations, and the picture I posted reinforces my contention that this veneration has taken on a religious dimension for some.

Well there's nowt as queer as folk. Now if all queer folk support Sr Amaral or if all of Sr Amaral's supporters are queer then what do you make of those who spend an inordinate amount time holding him up to ridicule? Are they a cult or a movement too?
Deal me out of this I'm off to join the Moonies.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

One is spoilt for choice when it comes to examples of how people perceive a person they really know very little about.  Can anyone give me any reason anyone supposes [snip] deserves to receive adulation?

You are right there.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »

You should really try to keep up to speed with some of the quasi religious sentiments being expressed in relation to Mr Amaral.  There is no doubt there are those who treat him with reverence and are not backwards in coming forward in proclaiming it.

Ann-Kristine Westwood   

Dear Dr.Amaral, I just went on my 1st Pilgrimage to see The Shroud of Turin and I have been pondering the prayer that is read constantly before it.

This is a part of it. 'In the wounds of your battered body we meditate on the wounds caused by all sins; Forgive us Lord. In the silence of your batteredface we recognise the suffering face of every man, Help us Lord'.

Here ismy small penance for the anger I have felt over this little child's fate.

And yours, and Brenda's.

I will now try to conduct myself with more dignity in my quest for Justice.

With love.
£5
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Well there's nowt as queer as folk. Now if all queer folk support Sr Amaral or if all of Sr Amaral's supporters are queer then what do you make of those who spend an inordinate amount time holding him up to ridicule? Are they a cult or a movement too?
Deal me out of this I'm off to join the Moonies.
No, there is no quasi-religious fervour on display from the mockers, that I am aware of anyway.  Enjoy your time with the Moonies. 

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
I expect that we could go into the semantics of that... but have a read:

http://www.hgi.org.uk/archive/cults2.htm#.VXgW8aY98p8
Interesting article, thanks for posting.