Author Topic: "The McCanns lied"  (Read 3162 times)

debunker

"The McCanns lied"
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
People wishing ill on the McCanns frequently misuse the word "lie", conflating it with other deviations from the facts.

A lie involves a conscious intention to deceive.

Simple errors in statements that do not match the true situation may be errors but they are not lies.

The word is used by [ censored word] to inflame simple errors into accusations of malfeasance.

An example- if I say that a person is in error, mis-spoke, stated a falsehood etc, that is fair comment. If I accuse someone of lying, that is potentially actionable as defamation because the word 'lie' MEANS that the person knew he was wrong and maintained that positi I n with the intention to deceive.

stephen25000

Re: "The McCanns lied"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
People wishing ill on the McCanns frequently misuse the word "lie", conflating it with other deviations from the facts.

A lie involves a conscious intention to deceive.

Simple errors in statements that do not match the true situation may be errors but they are not lies.

The word is used by [ censored word] to inflame simple errors into accusations of malfeasance.

An example- if I say that a person is in error, mis-spoke, stated a falsehood etc, that is fair comment. If I accuse someone of lying, that is potentially actionable as defamation because the word 'lie' MEANS that the person knew he was wrong and maintained that positi I n with the intention to deceive.

There is little doubt ( statistically speaking of course 8)--)) } you are only here top defend the Mccanns.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:50:48 AM by stephen25000 »

Offline Meadow

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
I would emphatically state that the McCanns and their friends never lied.

But might the question be:  did they ALL  tell the whole truth.

Of course witness statements should vary, but that can't be tested since it's bound together with a handwritten, then subsequent typed  timeline drawn up by the nine people of the group - somewhat unique, one might think.

But the statements from all witnesses at the time,  will never lead to the discovery of what happened to Madeleine, good god enough people have tried   And £3.5m+  by the MET's Grange review would have come up with something  nearly two years on.

Offline Meadow

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Debunker wrote:
''I currently make up my pension by writing commentaries on health and Psychological issues for magazines and have authored many academic papers in Mental Health. I studied stats at A level and as part of my second first degree.''

No one wants to argue, neither do the want platitude, merely healthy debate that leads to understanding. For example as a former psychiatric nurse I would be interested in your evaluation of the Dewani case!  Not to argue but to understand.

Offline Meadow

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »
Commonsense and rule of thumb

I did stats as part of a psychology course to test the method of a hypotheses ... yonks ago and don't remember a thing.

Cast your mind back to the Herald of Free Enterprize that went down at  Zeebrugge.  There were many commentators on the t.v. giving their expert opinions etc etc.... most saying of course it will be down to the inquiry and results there of.  Then they interviewed this old seafarer,  ''her went down with the bow doors open'' - common sense based on experience. !!

debunker

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »
Debunker wrote:
''I currently make up my pension by writing commentaries on health and Psychological issues for magazines and have authored many academic papers in Mental Health. I studied stats at A level and as part of my second first degree.''

No one wants to argue, neither do the want platitude, merely healthy debate that leads to understanding. For example as a former psychiatric nurse I would be interested in your evaluation of the Dewani case!  Not to argue but to understand.

I keep to the rule that I do not attempt any form of diagnosis via press reports, but will discuss generalities. What questions do you have?