Author Topic: Leonor Cipriano's ex Leandro Silva claims Joana was abducted or sold.  (Read 23636 times)

Offline John

Posted on behalf of Carana.

Leonor Cipriano's former partner, Leandro Silva, claims Joana was abducted or sold.

These cops framed my wife.

8 September 2007

The Sun - By OLIVER HARVEY Chief Feature Writer

THE husband of a Portuguese woman jailed for the murder of her child spoke last night of his fears for Kate McCann.

Leandro Silva said his wife had been set up and he believed police would do the same thing to four-year-old Madeleine’s mother.

He said: “I am worried Kate will be framed for a crime she did not commit, the way it happened to my wife.”

Leandro also demanded that one of the detectives leading the Maddie investigation should be dropped from the case.

Detective Goncalo Amaral has been accused of being involved with beating Leandro’s wife, Leonor Cipriano, during her interrogation over the death of her daughter, Joana, nine.

[

Leandro Silva, former partner of Leonor Cipriano.

Speaking exclusively to The Sun, Leandro said: “Goncalo Amaral shouldn’t still be investigating the McCann case.

“I believe he will be proved to be a bad policeman and a bad operator.

“I don’t believe Kate and Gerry have anything to do with Madeleine’s disappearance.

“I just don’t believe they would do such a thing. After losing Joana I know the pain they are going through. It’s terrible.”

In news that shocked the world Kate McCann was yesterday declared an “arguida” ? Portuguese for suspect ? in the hunt for Maddie.

And the story of little Joana Cipriano has some chilling echoes of the British child’s disappearance.

Joana vanished on September 12, 2004, just seven miles from the spot where Madeleine went missing on May 3.

The innocent, brown-eyed youngster, her chestnut hair cut into a boyish crop, set off from home in the village of Figueira to collect groceries.

But she never returned. Like Maddie, it was as if Joana had disappeared off the face of the Earth.

www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/5sep7/SUN_08_09_2007.htm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:51:35 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

Re: Leonor Cipriano's ex Leandro Silva claims Joana was abducted or sold.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
The brother of Leonor Cipriano made a tape recorded confession to the PJ investigators which was played in court at their trial.  Both defendants refused to testify and stood silent in the dock.

João Cipriano later wrote to his sister seeking her forgiveness for incriminating her in the murder of Joana.

In January 2009, Leonor made a statement through her lawyer claiming that  she wanted to tell the truth of what happened to her daughter Joana.  She stated that her brother João had abducted the child in a failed bid to sell her to some foreigners. She further claimed that the child had been killed by him and her body buried in an abandoned house in the hills above the village of Figueira.  Despite extensive searches being organised by both the police and Leonor's lawyer, no remains were ever found.

João Cipriano, uncle of Joana was convicted alongside his sister Leonor.

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
I suspect that a lady who lived in Figueira is involved in the disappearance of Joana.
12 September 2006

Algarve Press

Leandro Silva, he stepfather of Joana Cipriano, who disappeared on 12/09/2004 from the village of Figueira (Portimão) while returning home after going shopping for her mother continues to believe that the child, then eight years old, was abducted or sold.  Not killed by her own mother and her uncle, as has been proven by the court in Portimão.

The first hypothesis, Leandro suggests first at the interview by the 'Algarve Press' is suspicion about the possible involvement of a friend of Joana, who ended up moving to England.  In relation to any such sale, admits that the addict uncle of Joan is capable of anything.  Complains of the conduct of the Judicial Police and believes that "this story is badly told from the beginning.

In Odemira Prison, where she is serving a sentence recently reduced by the Supreme Court to 16 years having been convicted, along with her brother John Manuel Cipriano, guilty of murder and hiding the corpse of her daughter (who has not yet appeared) by the court consisting of first instance judges, Leonor Cipriano continues to claim innocence.

Read full interview...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:50:13 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
She wore black tops before Joana disappeared. It wouldn't seem to be a sudden change of habit, so why did he think that that was significant when on TV making an appeal to find her daughter?

Offline Anna

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
She wore black tops before Joana disappeared. It wouldn't seem to be a sudden change of habit, so why did he think that that was significant when on TV making an appeal to find her daughter?

I assume you are talking about Amaral ? He thought the black blouse meant mourning...however she wore red trousers. strange kind if investigating  >@@(*&)
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »
I suspect that a lady who lived in Figueira is involved in the disappearance of Joana.
12 September 2006

Read full interview...

That is a very interesting article John
In the fact that Leandro made and read a statement in court saying that he had the necessary tools at home, to enable Joao to butcher the body, but they had disappeared.
Without that evidence the Ciprianos, could not have been charged with the crime, since there was no other evidence  to support the claim of disposal of the body by the Ciprianos. This is the second time that I have read from an interview that he says he did not have the tools. The other interview was earlier. I had my suspicions too about the Village Do-Gooder
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:00:24 PM by Anna »
― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
I still believe João Cipriano knows a lot more than he has admitted to, even to his sister Leonor.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:19:34 PM by John »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »

In January 2009, Leonor made a statement through her lawyer claiming that  she wanted to tell the truth of what happened to her daughter Joana.  She stated that her brother João had abducted the child in a failed bid to sell her to some foreigners. She further claimed that the child had been killed by him and her body buried in an abandoned house in the hills above the village of Figueira.  Despite extensive searches being organised by both the police and Leonor's lawyer, no remains were ever found.  End Quote.

So Leonor didn't admit to killing Joana.  She just repeated what her brother had said.
And we don't even know if he was telling the truth.

Offline Anna

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
In January 2009, Leonor made a statement through her lawyer claiming that  she wanted to tell the truth of what happened to her daughter Joana.  She stated that her brother João had abducted the child in a failed bid to sell her to some foreigners. She further claimed that the child had been killed by him and her body buried in an abandoned house in the hills above the village of Figueira.  Despite extensive searches being organised by both the police and Leonor's lawyer, no remains were ever found.  End Quote.

So Leonor didn't admit to killing Joana.  She just repeated what her brother had said.
And we don't even know if he was telling the truth.
You are correct Eleanor, he did do a full confession and then denied writing it and the Lawyer was blamed. It had however been agreed that they would both do a statement that would match, regarding the failed sale of Joana and if acceptable it would hopefully reduce the sentence. Joao was pretty clever at pointing a finger at Leonor and pulling out of agreed statements, but Leonor did not understand the strategies of a criminal mind, Poor girl
― Plato

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:39 AM »

This case has really upset me Anna, probably more so than The McCanns, who are at least free and able to search.  While this poor woman was beaten half senseless and then convicted of a crime that she almost certainly did not commit.  And she still doesn't know what happened to her daughter.

I am not so sure about Joao, but even his conviction is unsafe.

The whole thing reads like a horror story.  How could this happen in a democracy in the 21st century?

Offline Anna

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
This case has really upset me Anna, probably more so than The McCanns, who are at least free and able to search.  While this poor woman was beaten half senseless and then convicted of a crime that she almost certainly did not commit.  And she still doesn't know what happened to her daughter.

I am not so sure about Joao, but even his conviction is unsafe.

The whole thing reads like a horror story.  How could this happen in a democracy in the 21st century?

It upsets me too, that such a thing can happen to someone because they had the nerve to accuse the police of beating her and that is what this sordid excuse of a conviction is all about. Would it not be just wonderful if Joana turned up.
― Plato

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:02 AM »
It upsets me too, that such a thing can happen to someone because they had the nerve to accuse the police of beating her and that is what this sordid excuse of a conviction is all about. Would it not be just wonderful if Joana turned up.

I dream about Joana turning up, hopefully not for the wrong reasons, although I occasionally worry about that.  But tis mortal hard not to want to see these disgusting people and this disgusting system get it's cumuppance.  Even several Judges fell for this.  But finding Joana is the only way it is going to happen.

Redblossom

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »
I dream about Joana turning up, hopefully not for the wrong reasons, although I occasionally worry about that.  But tis mortal hard not to want to see these disgusting people and this disgusting system get it's cumuppance.  Even several Judges fell for this.  But finding Joana is the only way it is going to happen.

Carry on dreaming then

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »
The two liars Leonor and João had a story for every day of the week,  The only one they never told was the fairy tale of how Joana was abducted by a stranger because in the final analysis even they know it isn't true. Quite right that she was prosecuted for perjury as well.  A more dysfunctional pair you would be hard pressed to find.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:23:33 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
The two liars Leonor and João had a story for every day of the week,  The only one they never told was the fairy tale of how Joana was abducted by a stranger because in the final analysis even they know it isn't true. Quite right that she was prosecuted for perjury as well.  A more dysfunctional pair you would be hard pressed to find.

What evidence of a stranger abduction would you expect them to be able to present?

It doesn't seem to have been the first idea that came to Leonor's mind. The GNR (in what appears to have been a search and rescue operation) hadn't found her, so that would have more or less crossed off an accident in the vicinity. How thorough would that operation have been? Would they have even noticed anything potentially relevant in forensic terms, such as a shred of clothing, or a child's sandal (if Leonor had got her footwear wrong) for example?

The family checked with relatives and friends in case she could have gone off with them for some reason, including her estranged husband.

There doesn't seem to have any systematic house-to-house enquiries, which might have revealed unfamiliar cars, faces, or anything else (although the Portimão cops may have started prior to the takeover by Faro), and there was no CCTV for police to check. A couple of witnesses said that they saw Leonor and João with a "bag", no doubt made to sound suspicious in the press, but it was just a shopping / carrier bag.