Author Topic: The Supreme Court in Portugal will shortly decide the McCann v Amaral damages case.  (Read 34967 times)

Alfie

could you expand Alfie?
Upon what would you like me to expand Faithlilly?

Offline faithlilly

Yes I have read the facts, but nowhere do I recall the judge stating that the amount of damage caused to the  McCanns by the book was "tiny".  Not even your detailed response with quotes and cites above quantifies the damage as "tiny".  Certainly the damages awarded by the first judge were not "tiny".

As the appeal judges overturned the first court judge's decision it's somewhat academic now the wording used.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

Upon what would you like me to expand Faithlilly?

No need now.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Alfie

Have you read the facts?

Because of the statements made by defendant Gonçalo Amaral in the book, in the documentary and in the interview to Correio da Manhã, authors Kate McCann and Gerald McCann suffer permanent anguish, insomnia, lack of appetite, anxiety and irritability, preoccupation and indefinable fear?

Proved.

But!  The judge adds that this psychological state is predates the book launch, the documentary and the interview and was not caused by them.

Proved that the couple felt badly about being considered responsible over the hiding of their daughter's body and simulating her abduction by those who believe in Mr Amaral's thesis.

But! The Judge states that it is not possible to determine what most people who have read or seen Mr Amaral's thesis actually think.
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=5931.0

So even the proved points are 'watered down' by the judge's additional comments. At no point is she able to say Amaral was solely responsible for any of the McCann's hurt feelings or for lowering their reputations. Perhaps because the investigation, for which he was not solely responsible, had already done that?

As I have said before, the award to the McCanns seemed to be more about punishing him than compensating them.

PS: the above in bold makes no sense. The second statement completely contradicts the first - are these your words or the judge's?

Alfie

As the appeal judges overturned the first court judge's decision it's somewhat academic now the wording used.
Well G-Unit introduced the first court judge's decision into this conversation and claimed the damage caused by the book was "tiny", hence the discussion now.  If you think it's off-topic either don't join in or report us. 

Offline G-Unit

PS: the above in bold makes no sense. The second statement completely contradicts the first - are these your words or the judge's?

Full quote;

The judge adds that this psychological state is predates the book launch, the documentary and the interview and was not caused by them. Nonetheless, it is not unreasonable to believe that the book, the documentary and the interview had an effect on the couple, i.e. It had an effect but that is to be expected.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

Full quote;

The judge adds that this psychological state is predates the book launch, the documentary and the interview and was not caused by them. Nonetheless, it is not unreasonable to believe that the book, the documentary and the interview had an effect on the couple, i.e. It had an effect but that is to be expected.
It had an effect, no mention of it having a "tiny" effect then.  Thanks for clarifying.

Offline faithlilly

It had an effect, no mention of it having a "tiny" effect then.  Thanks for clarifying.

No mention of any damage by the book at all. Isn't that the important fact ?

Offline misty

The book did irreparable damage to the reputation of the McCanns. What price the good name of a doctor?

Offline Robittybob1

Are you saying that you believe this to be true?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline faithlilly

The book did irreparable damage to the reputation of the McCanns. What price the good name of a doctor?

Did the judge say that? I was under the impression that it was being declared arguidos that did the damage.

Offline G-Unit

Can you quote anything at all in support of that statement, or is it just what you think?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline xtina

well i think you will find the mccs did a pretty good job of that themselves .....

when they left the children alone

and it seems some are far more concerned about reputation ...than what happened to maddie
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

Offline misty

well i think you will find the mccs did a pretty good job of that themselves .....

when they left the children alone

and it seems some are far more concerned about reputation ...than what happened to maddie

Yes, I think somebody wrote about honour & reputation in the preface of their book....it was never about Madeleine.

Alfie

What were the damages awarded for then?