Author Topic: Could the referendum result be legally challenged?  (Read 22637 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Could the referendum result be legally challenged?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
A very interesting historical analysis of the reasons for the EU and Britain's relationship with it. It leads me to think Britain may have been better advised to have stayed outside it.

I don't think the result can be challenged and the Government appear to have accepted that they now have to exit.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
A very interesting historical analysis of the reasons for the EU and Britain's relationship with it. It leads me to think Britain may have been better advised to have stayed outside it.

I don't think the result can be challenged and the Government appear to have accepted that they now have to exit.

Indeed, and listening to the exit speech and the response by many EU MP's was very heartwarming, they still love us and want us....Oh and need us as well.

What challenge would this be? dear judgy a lot of people are doing something we don't like make them stop! 8)--))
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »

Indeed, and listening to the exit speech and the response by many EU MP's was very heartwarming, they still love us and want us....Oh and need us as well.

What challenge would this be? dear judgy a lot of people are doing something we don't like make them stop! 8)--))

They want us? Or they want our money? Losing the second highest contributor to their budget must be pretty painful. [The highest if we didn't have the rebate].

Result = happy posting.

Offline John

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »
The referendum result is open to legal challenge but it will make no difference. We are on our way out of the EU and we won't be the last by a long shot.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 10:24:09 PM »
The referendum result is open to legal challenge but it will make no difference. We are on our way out of the EU and we won't be the last by a long shot.

Because? Surely its up to parliament
And now that May is PM, a remainer, anythng is possible IMO
She will have a hard job persuading the exiters, but now with more power in her hands, watch this space
Either way I think she will do a better job than cameron and I aint no tory
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:26:10 PM by mercury »

Offline mercury

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:31:44 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
Because? Surely its up to parliament
And now that May is PM, a remainer, anythng is possible IMO
She will have a hard job persuading the exiters, but now with more power in her hands, watch this space
Either way I think she will do a better job than cameron and I aint no tory

She has a problem because most MP's were Remainers;

MPs who want to overturn the EU referendum result have been told “the people have spoken" and there will be no parliamentary veto.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/688447/Brexit-parliament-vote-Article-50-MPs-referendum-result-veto

Parliament gave it's approval by voting on the Referendum Act. It seems illogical for them to approve an Act allowing the Electorate to vote and then to reject the result.

I'm actually impressed by the stance of the government which seems to have accepted the result.

It was, of course, a governmental exercise. The only way to stop it in my opinion is to force a general election as a new government could argue that they made no promise to implement the result.

Would a vote of no confidence in the government succeed? The Conservatives have 330 seats out of 650, so Conservative MP's would have to vote against their own government.

All MP's would have to consider if the Electorate would be impressed by the refusal of MP's to accept the will of the people. Even those who voted Remain may find themselves wondering 'what if' they had voted the other way?

Once again, the issue boils down to one of democracy. Do MP's represent the people or not? Judging by their actions since the referendum all the evidence says many of them don't.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »

MPs who want to overturn the EU referendum result have been told “the people have spoken" and there will be no parliamentary veto.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/688447/Brexit-parliament-vote-Article-50-MPs-referendum-result-veto

Parliament gave it's approval by voting on the Referendum Act. It seems illogical for them to approve an Act allowing the Electorate to vote and then to reject the result.

I'm actually impressed by the stance of the government which seems to have accepted the result.

It was, of course, a governmental exercise. The only way to stop it in my opinion is to force a general election as a new government could argue that they made no promise to implement the result.

Would a vote of no confidence in the government succeed? The Conservatives have 330 seats out of 650, so Conservative MP's would have to vote against their own government.

All MP's would have to consider if the Electorate would be impressed by the refusal of MP's to accept the will of the people. Even those who voted Remain may find themselves wondering 'what if' they had voted the other way?

Once again, the issue boils down to one of democracy. Do MP's represent the people or not? Judging by their actions since the referendum all the evidence says many of them don't.

Parliament has given no approval to Brexit...will article 50 require a vote by parliament...no one seems to know and that's why legal challenges are being made . Can the high court stop the prime minister...does anyone really know.

stephen25000

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »

If it was left to 'democracy', we would have capital punishment.

However, M.P.'s have the foresight en masse to reject that, again and again.

I favour for a murder conviction, life imprisonment, and literally for that term.

I also know that some people in the past have been executed by the state, for crimes they did not commit.

Sometimes, IMO , the public does not know best, many people react without thinking things through properly.

Don't you agree ?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
Parliament has given no approval to Brexit...will article 50 require a vote by parliament...no one seems to know and that's why legal challenges are being made . Can the high court stop the prime minister...does anyone really know.

Parliament approved the Referendum Act. Although the Act didn't make the result legally binding due to the concept of Parliamentary Supremacy, the government pretty much made it binding on them.

In it's leaflet, delivered nationwide, this government said;

This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide.

If a legal challenge was successful the government becomes untenable because it has been prevented from keeping it's promise.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
Parliament approved the Referendum Act. Although the Act didn't make the result legally binding due to the concept of Parliamentary Supremacy, the government pretty much made it binding on them.

In it's leaflet, delivered nationwide, this government said;

This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide.

If a legal challenge was successful the government becomes untenable because it has been prevented from keeping it's promise.

It was Camerons govt that made that promise....that govt has gone. The new PM cannot be held responsible for promises made by Cameron. The govt position is not untenable unless there is a vote of no confidence by the house...that won't happen

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »
It was Camerons govt that made that promise....that govt has gone. The new PM cannot be held responsible for promises made by Cameron. The govt position is not untenable unless there is a vote of no confidence by the house...that won't happen

He was leader, but the government isn't a new one, or is it? It was a promise by HM Government. not by Cameron per se.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »
He was leader, but the government isn't a new one, or is it? It was a promise by HM Government. not by Cameron per se.

The queen will ask May to form a new govt
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:30:21 PM by davel »

Offline John

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »
David Cameron's statement to the House re the Referendum.

Starts 15.00

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:43:34 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »
If it was left to 'democracy', we would have capital punishment.

However, M.P.'s have the foresight en masse to reject that, again and again.

I favour for a murder conviction, life imprisonment, and literally for that term.

I also know that some people in the past have been executed by the state, for crimes they did not commit.

Sometimes, IMO , the public does not know best, many people react without thinking things through properly.

Don't you agree ?

I do agree with that sentiment Stephen. I would also add that many millions would also agree. This brexit was not what it was made out to by some.  It was not demanding my personal life has changed so lets get everyone out, it was about community, culture, laws, country and what say we should have regarding government. We will survive this we have survived a lot worse.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin