Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535410 times)

Offline Mr Gray

You cannot claim traducement until Madeleine's fate is known.

you certainly can John...why do you think amarals book has not been published...and will not be published in the UK

i think the ECHR would take a different view to portuguese law which has given amaral the right to defame

ferryman

You cannot claim traducement until Madeleine's fate is known.

Claim be hanged.

Simple comparison of Amaral's book with the content of the police files makes it a point of irrefutable proof that Amaral's book traduces.

Offline G-Unit

then that is why an appeal to the ECHR could well be successful.....i understand the limitations

If they did that and won the Portuguese state may pay them something. Meanwhile Amaral has his money and is spending it. He is also making more if his book sells well. If Portugal then changes it's laws they can sue Amaral again if they're gluttons for punishment.

Will any of that restore their reputation? I doubt it, it's years too late for that. The only way their reputations can be restored is if someone else is found, tried and convicted of crimes against Madeleine. Even then, if the unlocked door played any part in the crime they will always bear the responsibility for their recklessness.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

If they did that and won the Portuguese state may pay them something. Meanwhile Amaral has his money and is spending it. He is also making more if his book sells well. If Portugal then changes it's laws they can sue Amaral again if they're gluttons for punishment.

Will any of that restore their reputation? I doubt it, it's years too late for that. The only way their reputations can be restored is if someone else is found, tried and convicted of crimes against Madeleine. Even then, if the unlocked door played any part in the crime they will always bear the responsibility for their recklessness.

Agreed.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

Most people think maddie was abducted imo....

stephen25000

Most people think maddie was abducted imo....

Really ?

On which planet is that then ?

Offline jassi

Really ?

Z   -- Z  - - damn it , its on the tip of my tongue  ?{)(**
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline misty

Really ?

Planet Earth.
The confused folk who don't believe also live on a mixed-up planet HETRA.

ferryman

So far as I can judge, this is the key bit of the ruling:

And, under such terms, although the introductory note in the book invokes personal reasons, in a situation of conflict with the rights to a good name and reputation of the subjects of the appeal, the appellant [Gonçalo Amaral] could not benefit, faced with the results of the investigation, of a broad and full freedom of expression – and thus his conduct would be unlawful, under article 484 of the Civil Code.

From what was above said about this matter, it is clearly understood that such argumentation cannot be sustained.

In effect, and independently of the reasons invoked by the appellant for the publication, it is hardly understandable that an employee, even more a retired one, would have to keep said duties of secrecy and reserve, thus being limited in the exercise of his right to an opinion, concerning the interpretation of facts that were already made public by the judiciary authority, and widely debated (in fact, largely by initiative of the intervenients themselves) in the national and international media.

This ruling is even worse than I thought.

Portuguese law places a clear obligation on serving PJ officers to observe judicial secrecy.

Yet this ruling says that even serving PJ officers should be exempt; Amaral, even more so, because he quit the PJ before he released onto the market his work of traducement and lies (to be clear, having breached judicial secrecy in getting it ready for publication so soon after the process was archived).

If any of the manifest breaches (of judicial secrecy) during the course of the investigation can be shown directly attributable to Amaral, then I don't see how this ruling can possibly be sustained.

And for these judges to hold that even serving police officers should not feel under any obligation to obey judicial secrecy surely demonstrates them incompetent, biased, or even corrupt?

How much money is left in the gofundme slush-fund, again?

Offline jassi

Apparently enough for the Supreme Court, but it has been said that more can be raised should it be needed.

Or maybe not -

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Indeed, and some people to this day feel they lost their reputations, what ever that was. due to their arrogance and behaviour before, after their daughters'disapperance'.

Davel now speaks and claims to know what 'most' people think- can we have stats for this claim or is it usual hot air.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

Indeed, and some people to this day feel they lost their reputations, what ever that was. due to their arrogance and behaviour before, after their daughters'disapperance'.

Davel now speaks and claims to know what 'most' people think- can we have stats for this claim or is it usual hot air.

I have not met anyone who thinks maddie died in an accident which was covered up. Pretty well all think Maddie was abducted and many criricise the mccanns for leaving maddie alone...how about you...and others.

Offline G-Unit

So far as I can judge, this is the key bit of the ruling:

This ruling is even worse than I thought.

Portuguese law places a clear obligation on serving PJ officers to observe judicial secrecy.

Yet this ruling says that even serving PJ officers should be exempt; Amaral, even more so, because he quit the PJ before he released onto the market his work of traducement and lies (to be clear, having breached judicial secrecy in getting it ready for publication so soon after the process was archived).

If any of the manifest breaches (of judicial secrecy) during the course of the investigation can be shown directly attributable to Amaral, then I don't see how this ruling can possibly be sustained.

And for these judges to hold that even serving police officers should not feel under any obligation to obey judicial secrecy surely demonstrates them incompetent, biased, or even corrupt?

How much money is left in the gofundme slush-fund, again?

Read again. They said it was OK to express an opinion;

concerning the interpretation of facts that were already made public by the judiciary authority, and widely debated (in fact, largely by initiative of the intervenients themselves) in the national and international media.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Miss Taken Identity

I have not met anyone who thinks maddie died in an accident which was covered up. Pretty well all think Maddie was abducted and many criricise the mccanns for leaving maddie alone...how about you...and others.

So the stats are based on 'people you have met' and not the 'many in the world', so not 'many'  really then. Good glad we got that sorted.

I don't claim to know and have never claimed to know what happened to Maddie, because I wasn't there. Based on parents and tapas accounts  I do not beleive she was abducted, via a window.

Among my friends and colleagues the minority believe she was abducted, some theories I have heard are very plausable indeed.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

So the stats are based on 'people you have met' and not the 'many in the world', so not 'many'  really then. Good glad we got that sorted.

I don't claim to know and have never claimed to know what happened to Maddie, because I wasn't there. Based on parents and tapas accounts  I do not beleive she was abducted, via a window.

Among my friends and colleagues the minority believe she was abducted, some theories I have heard are very plausable indeed.

perhaps you would like to share what the majority of your friends think..