Author Topic: Is there any place for Sharia Law in the United Kingdom?  (Read 12332 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Is there any place for Sharia Law in the United Kingdom?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 07:05:27 PM »
Therein lies the problem. Any new law must pass "The LBJ Test"*. Too many are flung together to satisfy one pressure group or another or make the government of the day look as though it has its finger on the pulse.

* "You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered". Lyndon B. Johnson
 or if you will Robert Townsend "It is ten times easier to start something than it is to stop it". (roughly)

Quite possibly... but I don't know enough about how any of it became introduced in the first place.

Offline Carana

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
I had read very recently that it is mostly women who use the tribunal, but I can't find the cite at the moment, and it may not be accurate anyway.

This explains why some women may choose to do so in order to get a divorce.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7238890.stm

Presumably, more will come to light via the inquiry as to whether the system is being misused, and if so, to what extent.

The Jewish Beth Din has apparently been in use in the UK for centuries (I hadn't even heard of it until I was reading around this topic a few days ago).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7233040.stm

Offline mercury

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 11:50:31 PM »
I had read very recently that it is mostly women who use the tribunal, but I can't find the cite at the moment, and it may not be accurate anyway.

This explains why some women may choose to do so in order to get a divorce.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7238890.stm

Presumably, more will come to light via the inquiry as to whether the system is being misused, and if so, to what extent.

The Jewish Beth Din has apparently been in use in the UK for centuries (I hadn't even heard of it until I was reading around this topic a few days ago).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7233040.stm

Ultra Traditional Jewish are no better
Themencan issue a Get (lost I suppose)to divorce their wives but the women cant
I suppose at least they are not hypocritical as the Islamists are who quote the koran that both sexes are equal when it suits and quote it that theyre not when it doesnt
Im sure Christians do the same as well
Religion is used for power and abuse by men over women and other peoples
You cantbanreligionbut you can thoroughly remove it from anywhere near law and government IMO

It has no place there

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
Quite possibly... but I don't know enough about how any of it became introduced in the first place.

I am not sure in this case either but we should have stuck out for the premises that minorities are treated the same way as everyone else and the values of our society and its laws are not up for discussion or negotiation.
As soon as you decide that the minorities are different and have to be addressed through often self appointed "community spokespersons" you are dead in the water. These "community spokespersons" are almost invariably old men who are also religiously and socially conservative. The big disadvantage of this is that it pisses of the young who expected something different and better in their new homeland. It can then be argued the young are disenfranchised by both sides ............................
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mercury

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:27 AM »
Anyone migrating to this country  should first be thankful for being taken in and secondly be respectful, ie by thirdly should integrate pdq

Coming over from muslim countries and demanding this that and the other is pathetic, just stay there then where its already in place
Why bring your backward problems to our shores

honour  killings female genital mutilation and the rest of the friday the thirteenth motley crew

ferryman

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
Therein lies the problem. Any new law must pass "The LBJ Test"*. Too many are flung together to satisfy one pressure group or another or make the government of the day look as though it has its finger on the pulse.

* "You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered".[/i] Lyndon B. Johnson
 or if you will Robert Townsend "It is ten times easier to start something than it is to stop it". (roughly)

Surely, though, any law (improperly administered) will do harm?

We have a law which prohibits taking of life.

And yet there are circumstances in which you may (lawfully) take life.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 11:35:24 PM »
Surely, though, any law (improperly administered) will do harm?

We have a law which prohibits taking of life.

And yet there are circumstances in which you may (lawfully) take life.

Take it up with Lyndon Johnson.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
Anyone migrating to this country  should first be thankful for being taken in and secondly be respectful, ie by thirdly should integrate pdq

Coming over from muslim countries and demanding this that and the other is pathetic, just stay there then where its already in place
Why bring your backward problems to our shores

honour  killings female genital mutilation and the rest of the friday the thirteenth motley crew

Very true.  Those migrants from Syria and Iraq for example are from several different sects and tribes (Sunni and Shia) and will bring their old hatreds with them to their adopted land.  How long will it be before those same poor refugees end up warring again?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:11:07 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 10:08:44 PM »
Very true.  Those migrants from Syria and Iraq for example are from several different sects and tribes (Sunni and Shia) and will bring their old hatreds with them to their adopted land.  How long will it be before those same poor refugees end up warring again?

Not for those who love the 'cites' and 'stats' but.... that started long ago, long ,long ago. Just like you never hear about white people being discriminated by minorities or racial [ censored word ]ed against white people it is like it does not exist because no stats are kept. In fact it is up there with male domestic abuse by female partners- it just didn't happen because there were no stats to support  the claims. All magic.  The government will use any old form of crap to tell us we are all living happily apart from a few Nazis who walk among us.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin