Poll

If Offered A Covid Vaccine Today Would You Accept?

Yes
9 (60%)
No
4 (26.7%)
Don't Know
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Fast-tracking a vaccine  (Read 16567 times)

Offline misty

Re: Fast-tracking a vaccine
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2021, 12:07:51 AM »
Isn’t it odd that someone who is “not keen on putting things inside me without good reason” is quite happy to inhale a toxic cocktail of chemicals numerous times a day known to cause all manner of health problems?

I think the problem is that the world population is actually undergoing a clinical trial stage of the various Covid19 vaccines. There is no gold standard in flu vaccines and afaik all Coronavirus ones under development have never met the required standards for approval. We actually have no idea about the efficacy of these new vaccine, let alone the short or long term effects on those who are already affected by auto-immune & other disorders.
If people think these vaccines are the route back to normality then imo they are very much mistaken. I hope I'm wrong as I shuffle to the very back of the queue.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2021, 07:12:14 AM »
Anyone who sees drug producing companies as working hard to help humanity rather than turn a profit is pretty naive imo. GP's, encouraged by these companies, tend to prescribe drugs which don't always help and sometimes actually hurt their patients.
https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/how-gps-are-paid-to-prescribe-ineffective-drugs

I've recently been found to have very high blood pressure and the surprise from healthcare professionals was noticeable when they asked what medicines I was taking and the answer was 'none'. It's quite unusual apparently for someone over 70 to be taking nothing at all.
So you don’t think the scientists who worked round the clock to produce a vaccine to fight the coronavirus were driven by anything other than sheer greed?  Wow.  Such breathtaking  cynicism.  Are you taking anything for your very high blood pressure?  I trust you turned down any medication that might help reduce it, you don’t want these drug companies to make any more money!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2021, 07:14:45 AM »
I think the problem is that the world population is actually undergoing a clinical trial stage of the various Covid19 vaccines. There is no gold standard in flu vaccines and afaik all Coronavirus ones under development have never met the required standards for approval. We actually have no idea about the efficacy of these new vaccine, let alone the short or long term effects on those who are already affected by auto-immune & other disorders.
If people think these vaccines are the route back to normality then imo they are very much mistaken. I hope I'm wrong as I shuffle to the very back of the queue.
Are you suggesting that the vaccines now being rolled out have not met the required standards for approval?  Do you have a cite?  If they aren’t the route back to normality then we are well and truly b....red imo.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:24 AM »
So you don’t think the scientists who worked round the clock to produce a vaccine to fight the coronavirus were driven by anything other than sheer greed?  Wow.  Such breathtaking  cynicism.  Are you taking anything for your very high blood pressure?  I trust you turned down any medication that might help reduce it, you don’t want these drug companies to make any more money!

Scientists are just people like anyone else and are responsible for discovering and producing both helpful and harmful substances. Producing vaccines is their job, not necessarily something they do for the good of mankind, just like farmers who grow crops for profit, not necessarily to 'feed the world'.

I'm on pills to lower my blood pressure because high blood pressure causes damage. Taking pills is the better opinion, but it's not a good thing to have to do. As always balance is the answer based on informed decisions rather than blind faith in any person or institution; even scientists, doctors and the NHS.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »

Quite so, Misty. I accepted it because of my age and because it might lessen the impact if I do get the virus. If I can avoid being hospitalised I will both for my sake and for the NHS. I hope the vaccine helps to reduce the threat, but only time will tell.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2021, 10:41:15 AM »
Scientists are just people like anyone else and are responsible for discovering and producing both helpful and harmful substances. Producing vaccines is their job, not necessarily something they do for the good of mankind, just like farmers who grow crops for profit, not necessarily to 'feed the world'.

I'm on pills to lower my blood pressure because high blood pressure causes damage. Taking pills is the better opinion, but it's not a good thing to have to do. As always balance is the answer based on informed decisions rather than blind faith in any person or institution; even scientists, doctors and the NHS.
Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca have pledged to make their vaccines available on a not-for-profit basis, so it's not correct to suggest that all drug companies put profits before people.  But - perhaps we shouldn't always view profit as a bad thing, particularly if it drives innovation and research that results in lives being saved and prolonged (which science and drug companies have without question achieved, for hundreds of millions of people in the last century plus).   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:20:38 AM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2021, 10:49:33 AM »

No one can deny that pharmacology  has been overall a force for good. No one is trying to make out it's perfect... It's much to complex a field not to have some problems.  We would be in an awful position if we didn't have the drugs that have been developed ..antibiotics.. Chemo.. The list of life daving drugs is endless

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
Just had mine

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »
My father (82) is having his on Friday, my mother (also 82) has not yet been called but she’s now in two minds because of the post-vaccine deaths that have occurred in Norway.  She is a terrible worrywort.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »
You’re very fortunate.  My parents who are in their mid 80s both with certain health issues have not had theirs yet nor been given any indication at all of when they are likely to get it.

My aunt and uncle, both in their 90s, have only just received theirs. I suspect it varies, depending upon where you live.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2021, 07:12:53 PM »

My aunt and uncle, both in their 90s, have only just received theirs. I suspect it varies, depending upon where you live.
Yep, it’s the old postcode lottery in action again.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »
Yep, it’s the old postcode lottery in action again.

At least money isn't a factor. All supplies are controlled by the NHS and can't be bought privately.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »
Both my parents have now been vaccinated, one has had the Pfizer jab, one the Astrazeneca.  My nearly 83 year old mother had to queue outside and then inside an old Debenhams building for the best part of 2 hours to receive hers and though relieved to have had it, the whole process has quite taken it out of her, having to wait standing for all that time.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »
Both my parents have now been vaccinated, one has had the Pfizer jab, one the Astrazeneca.  My nearly 83 year old mother had to queue outside and then inside an old Debenhams building for the best part of 2 hours to receive hers and though relieved to have had it, the whole process has quite taken it out of her, having to wait standing for all that time.

That seems very stressful.
Were your parents not given appointments?
I imagine she will be quite drained by that experience.

We received our letters on Tuesday with our appointment and an explanatory leaflet about the vaccine.
We have been given an exact time to attend and it is indoors in a sports complex nearby.  All our friends and family who are in their seventies received similar letters giving appointments over the next two weeks.  The appointments seem to be from the 1st of February onwards with those who are older having the first appointments.
Ours are for the 13th of February at 3.45 pm........ we're mid seventy...so one of the younger lot.
It all seems very organised...I hope it turns out that way.
Those in their eighties are being vaccinated at their own doctors surgery...our daughter in laws father was vaccinated at his doctors today or at home if thats not possible which was the procedure for my sister in law last week.

Did your mum or dad experience any after effects from the vaccine.

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2021, 09:31:10 PM »
That seems very stressful.
Were your parents not given appointments?
I imagine she will be quite drained by that experience.

We received our letters on Tuesday with our appointment and an explanatory leaflet about the vaccine.
We have been given an exact time to attend and it is indoors in a sports complex nearby.  All our friends and family who are in their seventies received similar letters giving appointments over the next two weeks.  The appointments seem to be from the 1st of February onwards with those who are older having the first appointments.
Ours are for the 13th of February at 3.45 pm........ we're mid seventy...so one of the younger lot.
It all seems very organised...I hope it turns out that way.
Those in their eighties are being vaccinated at their own doctors surgery...our daughter in laws father was vaccinated at his doctors today or at home if thats not possible which was the procedure for my sister in law last week.

Did your mum or dad experience any after effects from the vaccine.
Well my dad didn’t, but as my mum’s just had it I’ll have to get back to you on that.  She did have an appointment for 1.15pm but got there half an hour early and didn’t even get inside the building until 2pm.  Hope your experience is less stressful and arduous.