Author Topic: Should the Germans Have Dropped Their Investigation By Now?  (Read 29152 times)

Offline The General

Re: Should the Germans Have Dropped Their Investigation By Now?
« Reply #450 on: January 26, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »
Any amount of unreliable is enough for reasonable doubt.  And in most cases it's not the dogs abilities that are in doubt, it's the handler's input - IMO.
It is fraught with difficulty and unreliability, granted. The relationship between the dog and the handler and the manner in which the dog was developed both carry an inherent bias. If there was a way to take the variable of the handler out of the process, reliability would be more certain. Certainly EVRD dogs are let off the leash and are given very little direction - that would be an ideal situation.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #451 on: January 26, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
In all serious, I'd also like to see that. Unfortunately charlatans and blaggards will exploit anything emerging, and this is the case with both cadaver dogs and 'sniffer dogs' more generally. I believe the Washington Sniper case was virtually cracked with the assistance of an unlicensed, untrained sniffer dog handler, for example, so there's cases for both sides.
I do know that the testing in their use and efficacy is being developed all the time, just like anything 'novel' I suppose.
Dogs are not infallible, that's a given for me, but I'd cast doubt on the assertion that they are 'incredibly unreliable'.

no evidential RELIABILITY...from the man himself.

You only have to look at what eddie actually acheived in his whole career to see the real value of cadaver dogs in these  situations. They have  a use but as s everal experts have said ...they can also divert the investigation...as wassaid in Jersey...massive excavations oin the strength of an alert...and nothing of any use found

Offline The General

« Reply #452 on: January 26, 2021, 11:41:23 AM »
no evidential RELIABILITY...from the man himself.

You only have to look at what eddie actually acheived in his whole career to see the real value of cadaver dogs in these  situations. They have  a use but as s everal experts have said ...they can also divert the investigation...as wassaid in Jersey...massive excavations oin the strength of an alert...and nothing of any use found
So, if you were an investigating body, would you have used them or not in the MM case?
By 'them' I mean any blood or cadaver dog / team.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #453 on: January 26, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »
So, if you were an investigating body, would you have used them or not in the MM case?
By 'them' I mean any blood or cadaver dog / team.

I dont see any point.  I think it was part of the new idea of Harrison and Grime to gain case intelligence. ...the idea referred to in Grimes white paper.

can anyone find any reference to residual cadaver scent prior to 2005.

In 2005 it was realised that detection canines may be of assistance to the law enforcement investigation of homicide and allegations of abduction where the pace of investigations is of paramount importance. Innovative method and ‘out of the box thinking by the UK National Search Manager introduced Human Scent Trailing, Human Blood Detection and Victim Recovery Dogs (now collectively designated as Forensic Canines) within critical case investigations to ascertain whether or not they could provide case intelligence.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #454 on: January 26, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
However, it must be stated any such indications without any physical evidence to support them can not have any evidential value, being unconfirmed indications. Additionally I consider no inference can be drawn as to whether a human cadaver has previously been in any location without other supporting physical evidence.

Harrison makes it clear that no inference can be drawn without physical evidence

Offline kizzy

« Reply #455 on: January 26, 2021, 12:06:43 PM »
He had a connection ...he wasnt astranger..tahts the difference. Can  you quote one case where a murderer who commits his first murder has murdered before...dont think too long

Ah so basically you are saying there can be a first time for everything. - for whatever reason

A lot of people believe the mccs because they don't think them capable of doing such a horrendous thing as disposing of Maddie being involved in some way. IMO

But your reckoning IMO then a first time for everything if needs must or desperation for that first time act - whatever that may be.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #456 on: January 26, 2021, 12:09:19 PM »
I dont see any point.  I think it was part of the new idea of Harrison and Grime to gain case intelligence. ...the idea referred to in Grimes white paper.

In 2005 it was realised that detection canines may be of assistance to the law enforcement investigation of homicide and allegations of abduction where the pace of investigations is of paramount importance. Innovative method and ‘out of the box thinking by the UK National Search Manager introduced Human Scent Trailing, Human Blood Detection and Victim Recovery Dogs (now collectively designated as Forensic Canines) within critical case investigations to ascertain whether or not they could provide case intelligence.

On page 45 of that paper Grime says;

"To my knowledge a victim has never been found alive in a case where the author's VRD team has provided a related positive final response."

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #457 on: January 26, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
Ah so basically you are saying there can be a first time for everything. - for whatever reason

A lot of people believe the mccs because they don't think them capable of doing such a horrendous thing as disposing of Maddie being involved in some way. IMO

But your reckoning IMO then a first time for everything if needs must or desperation for that first time act - whatever that may be.

it looks like you ahve now accepted you are wrong....theres no  evidence whatsoever maddie died in an accident..none. the mccanns are no longer suspects and ther enever wa s any rael evidence against them. ther is lots of evidence since to show they were not involved...end of

Offline The General

« Reply #458 on: January 26, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »

Professor Cassella appointed Martin Grime as an Honorary Research Fellow not too long ago, as I recall. He gave him a glowing testimonial.
Seems he has more faith in him than you.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #459 on: January 26, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »

"To my knowledge a victim has never been found alive in a case where the author's VRD team has provided a related positive final response."

if grime thinks thats any kind of scientific evidence hes wrong...its more anectdotal rubbish and shows he doesnt understand science.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #460 on: January 26, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »
Professor Cassella appointed Martin Grime as an Honorary Research Fellow not too long ago, as I recall. He gave him a glowing testimonial.
Seems he has more faith in him than you.

how long ago ...in the Pillay podcast hes certainly at odds with grimes ides

Offline The General

« Reply #461 on: January 26, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »
how long ago ...in the Pillay podcast hes certainly at odds with grimes ides
Looks like our favourite professor has a favourite dog handler.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #462 on: January 26, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »

Which author? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline kizzy

« Reply #463 on: January 26, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »
it looks like you ahve now accepted you are wrong....theres no  evidence whatsoever maddie died in an accident..none. the mccanns are no longer suspects and ther enever wa s any rael evidence against them. ther is lots of evidence since to show they were not involved...end of

There is absolutely no evidence to say Maddie was abducted either. [sorry not understand the rest of your post D]

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #464 on: January 26, 2021, 12:28:20 PM »
The public should be aware that detection canine responses do not confirm criminal behaviour or identify suspects. They merely identify possible sources of odour transference or trace evidence, and assist investigators develop intelligence of possible scenarios concerning suspected homicide and abduction. This is completed as early as is possible within the investigative stages. It is incumbent upon investigators to establish the facts and prosecutors to apply the law.
http://eprints.staffs.ac.uk/4750/
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly