Author Topic: EU membership, should we stay or leave?  (Read 125522 times)

Offline John

Re: EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
The people of the UK are being fed the lie continually that we are dependent upon the EU for trade and for security, neither is true.  A mere 9% of the UK's GDP is trade with Europe, this is a paltry amount so leaving the EU will have no impact. What will impact however is that we will be able to tear up the existing trade agreements which are biased towards the EU.  The EU needs the UK and its buying power much more than we need it.  Consequently, leaving the EU will allow the UK to again strike deals which benefit us and not the rest of Europe.  As an example, European car manufacturers flood the UK with their products at inflated prices.  Once we are free from the customs tariffs imposed by the EU we will be able to buy cars at the price we want and not at the price they want to sell them.  The reason for this is simple, they need to flog us cars but we will be free to choose what to buy.

The UK has a cost of living 8% higher than it need be simply because of the EU imposed trade barriers.  We are forced to pay overinflated prices because of EU trade agreements.  Agreements which were put into place to protect the poorer States within the EU.  The UK is subsidising those poorer States to the tune of some £3 billion each and every year. The UK pays in some £10 billion into the EU every year but only gets back about £6 billion in so-called EU projects.  Better we keep the £10 billion and fund our own projects, why should the UK pay for impoverished former Soviet Bloc States?

Finally, much has been made of our national security which the stay campaigners claim will be jeopardised. The truth here is that the EU is a toothless dinosaur. If push came to shove the EU could do little if anything.  The EU cannot even deal with the migrant crisis with any consensus so expecting European States to act together in the face of Soviet aggression is a joke.  It is NATO we look to for security and not the EU.

The EU wants to dictate to us how many migrants we can take, they want to flood our towns and cities with people who have no cultural link to our country, this is unacceptable.  We need to control our borders, we need to be able to deal with illegal immigrants effectively and we can only do so out with the EU.

We don't need the EU, it is merely a staging post en route to a federal entity called the United States of Europe. It has destroyed many of our industries and alienated us from our traditional trading partners around the world.  The people shouting loudest about remaining in the EU have vested interests in doing so but then that is no surprise.  The vast majority of people in the UK have at last seen through this charade and will have the greatest opportunity since the end of the second world war to forge our own destiny.

The sooner we get the hell out the better!   
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Karelcb

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »
If being part of the EU is such a good thing, then I ask two questions.
1. Why do so many of us wish to leave?
2. Why does David Cameron feel the need to lie & use scaremongering tactics to convince us to stay in.

After 40 years of interference and £billions spent I cannot see any benefits in remaining a member of the EU. I cannot name one issue raised in that time that has made the last 40 years value for money.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
The people of the UK are being fed the lie continually that we are dependent upon the EU for trade and for security, neither is true.  A mere 9% of the UK's GDP is trade with Europe, this is a paltry amount so leaving the EU will have no impact. What will impact however is that we will be able to tear up the existing trade agreements which are biased towards the EU.  The EU needs the UK and its buying power much more than we need it.  Consequently, leaving the EU will allow the UK to again strike deals which benefit us and not the rest of Europe.  As an example, European car manufacturers flood the UK with their products at inflated prices.  Once we are free from the customs tariffs imposed by the EU we will be able to buy cars at the price we want and not at the price they want to sell them.  The reason for this is simple, they need to flog us cars but we will be free to choose what to buy.

The UK has a cost of living 8% higher than it need be simply because of the EU imposed trade barriers.  We are forced to pay overinflated prices because of EU trade agreements.  Agreements which were put into place to protect the poorer States within the EU.  The UK is subsidising those poorer States to the tune of some £3 billion each and every year. The UK pays in some £10 billion into the EU every year but only gets back about £6 billion in so-called EU projects.  Better we keep the £10 billion and fund our own projects, why should the UK pay for impoverished former Soviet Bloc States?

Finally, much has been made of our national security which the stay campaigners claim will be jeopardised. The truth here is that the EU is a toothless dinosaur. If push came to shove the EU could do little if anything.  The EU cannot even deal with the migrant crisis with any consensus so expecting European States to act together in the face of Soviet aggression is a joke.  It is NATO we look to for security and not the EU.

The EU wants to dictate to us how many migrants we can take, they want to flood our towns and cities with people who have no cultural link to our country, this is unacceptable.  We need to control our borders, we need to be able to deal with illegal immigrants effectively and we can only do so out with the EU.

We don't need the EU, it is merely a staging post en route to a federal entity called the United States of Europe. It has destroyed many of our industries and alienated us from our traditional trading partners around the world.  The people shouting loudest about remaining in the EU have vested interests in doing so but then that is no surprise.  The vast majority of people in the UK have at last seen through this charade and will have the greatest opportunity since the end of the second world war to forge our own destiny.

The sooner we get the hell out the better!

I agree with this, and well put for The UK.  Although I am not so sure that Europe needs The UK.  And Britain has never actually been in, has it.

The whole thing went wrong from the beginning when Britain refused to join when asked, and De Gaulle told Britain to get lost if that's how they felt.  That's when it should have stopped.

We are an Island Race, and were never suited for this malarky.  We just don't understand them.

I probably still don't.  But France has done well by me, much more so than Britain ever did.  They are kind to old people.  It's in the genes.  So I won't be leaving France anytime soon.

But I still want what is best for the land of my birth, and that looks like Out to me.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
If being part of the EU is such a good thing, then I ask two questions.
1. Why do so many of us wish to leave?
2. Why does David Cameron feel the need to lie & use scaremongering tactics to convince us to stay in.

After 40 years of interference and £billions spent I cannot see any benefits in remaining a member of the EU. I cannot name one issue raised in that time that has made the last 40 years value for money.

Britain opted In far too late, if they ever should have done.  But some idiot only saw the good bits, with reservations.

Europe never did trust Britain after that.

I don't know what Cameron thinks he is doing.  I could take a guess, but I won't.

In the meantime I shall wait and see.  I very much doubt that it will make any difference to me personally.  France will look after me.  Of this I am sure.  Which is more than I can say for Britain.

Offline Admin

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »
Britain opted In far too late, if they ever should have done.  But some idiot only saw the good bits, with reservations.

Europe never did trust Britain after that.

I don't know what Cameron thinks he is doing.  I could take a guess, but I won't.

In the meantime I shall wait and see.  I very much doubt that it will make any difference to me personally.  France will look after me.  Of this I am sure.  Which is more than I can say for Britain.

It all started with the Common Market which was a useful tool all round but as with most things it wasn't enough and soon dreams of a federal Europe were forming.  The EU is the result, an organisation which nobody voted for in the first place.  If the UK leaves, the EU will disintegrate slowly but surely and the gravy train will stop.  Hallelujah!!!

Offline blonk

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 11:05:06 PM »
The results of the most recent three national opinion polls, as featured in the Wikipedia Euro Referendum Poll Tracker page, have been (excluding 'don't knows'):

Date poll
conducted

25 Feb   REMAIN 49.5  LEAVE 50.5

25 Feb   REMAIN 48     LEAVE 52

29 Feb   REMAIN 50     LEAVE 50

Offline mercury

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »
Has Cameron in an attempt to shamelessly steal votes and thunder from Farage put his foot in it? After all he is campaigning to stay. what a wally.

I wonder how it will affect Scotland too if the UK leaves

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:57:16 PM by mercury »

Offline Admin

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
Has Cameron in an attempt to shamelessly steal votes and thunder from Farage put his foot in it? After all he is campaigning to stay. what a wally.

The Scottish people dodged a bullet the last time round.  Had they voted for independence they would be as bankrupt as Greece about now with the Scottish pound being as worthless as the peso.  The dream of independence was built on the projection that oil prices would remain high for years to come but at $30 a barrel and with many Aberdeen oil companies facing bankruptcy, independence has again become an illusion much like the Loch Ness monster.

The people of Scotland will think long and hard before they contemplate such a move ever again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:33:37 AM by Admin »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »

The Scottish Pound has never been worthless.  And anyone who thinks it ever was has some need of lessons in economics as they really are.

That, Mrs. Admin, is just about the most insulting thing I have ever read.  I am appalled by your ignorance.

Offline Admin

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »
The Scottish Pound has never been worthless.  And anyone who thinks it ever was has some need of lessons in economics as they really are.

That, Mrs. Admin, is just about the most insulting thing I have ever read.  I am appalled by your ignorance.

It would have been had independence preceded the collapse of the two main Scottish banks.  As it is, Scotland does not have gold reserves capable of underpinning the Scottish pound which I understand is guaranteed by the Bank of England.

Scottish notes are accepted as currency in the UK under the Banknote (Scotland) Act of 1845. However, this legislation would no longer apply after independence without a currency union, thereby making Scots notes worthless.

The only reason the current SNP Scottish government wants to remain within the EU is for protection should their banks ever default after independence.  Like Greece, they would seek support in the form of a bailout.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:23:47 PM by Admin »

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
 8((()*/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:38:05 PM by Alfred R Jones »

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »
It would have been had independence preceded the collapse of the two main Scottish banks.  As it is, Scotland does not have gold reserves capable of underpinning the Scottish pound which I understand is guaranteed by the Bank of England.

Scottish notes are accepted as currency in the UK under the Banknote (Scotland) Act of 1845. However, this legislation would no longer apply after independence without a currency union, thereby making Scots notes worthless.

The only reason the current SNP Scottish government wants to remain within the EU is for protection should their banks ever default after independence.  Like Greece, they would seek support in the form of a bailout.

Oh I see you chose your own time in history and chose your own battle... lol

OK let's have a closer look at the allegation implied. The UK stands for United of Kingdoms ( or as my French daughter in law would say 'Unneeted condom') well we do have a lot of Prx in our government!

This means we are all seperate countries united -Scotland , England, Wales. ( Scotland and Wales dumped our kings and queens) we all had our own identities,versions of religion,superstitions, and languages,cultures, but as we were an island we stood together  for the better good of our nations.

This helped our economies, security. We had national interests  like rail and road links, health, Gas/elecricity all under our control ( not always better run) We also had a wee fund to help when we got into a hubble financially, our housing was improving and expanding. We the Scots and the Welsh spoke fluent English so we could communicate. All was well.

We grew and shared our own food between ourselves. So what happened? Well, we were governed by an ENGLISH establishment, had a queen to support as well, then we had the EU, then we had to support Africans ,Indians, Pakistanis,chinese and everyone else. The English government also sold our industries, removed our rights bit by bit. It was the ENGLISH governement who squandred our oil money, handed our fishing rights to other countries, gave subsidies to farmers in other countries while ours suffered.. oh I could go on, but you get the gist... that is:  It was the ENGLISH Government who signed us up to the EU.

The Scots voted to stay with England because of this relationship we have, like any family we have fights and difference of opinions, but United we should stay. I will never understand why Sturgeon wanted tp leave the UK and stay in the EU which is a lot worse! I do suspect admin is correct- she wants us to be like Ireland and take all the benefits, but alas that is all gone...The SNP have in some ways improved lives in Scotland, but NS is going down that PC route which is very dangerous- she will never be queen of scotland or their hearts.

I vote to stay in UK leave EU.  for the reasons above.

ps the bank scandal was more than just RBS and BOS!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 10:30:24 PM »

...and guess who are on the remain camp...Phoney Tony made his millions out of peoples misery and death IMO
Sleekit mandleson and spin it like to win it sleazy campbell... ew  best reasons yet to BREXIT.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Andrea

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »
OUT OUT OUT

Offline puglove

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
OUT OUT OUT

I wish I understood all of this. If we left the EU, would it stop the live transport of animals? If so, then yes. Out.

But....Bill Oddie says that leaving would be bad for wildlife. I'm confuzzled.     8(8-))
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.