Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237539 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
What makes sense is the trail the dogs found indicating Madeleine came through the front way as she said on Sept 6th. That's why tracking dogs are used.
The dogs don't work backwards.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
The dogs don't work backwards.

How can you track someone's last known position from 5A if you're not going backwards to the route where they came in from?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:10:56 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #227 on: December 26, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »
How can you track someone's last known position from 5A if you're not going backwards to the route where they came in to 5A from?
Dogs go forwards, from the weakest to the freshest scent. Hence the importance to let them start from the exact place where the missing person was last seen.
In Madeleine's case, there were two possible exits, but I'm afraid only one was offered to the dogs, forcing them on an out track.
If the dogs had been set free at the Tapas, they'll likely do the last route Madeleine took to go back home after high tea.

Offline Anna

« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
How can you track someone's last known position from 5A if you're not going backwards to the route where they came in from?

Tracker dogs ?What dogs do you mean, The GNR sniffer dogs? or ours?
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
Tracker dogs ?What dogs do you mean, The GNR sniffer dogs? or ours?

GNR tracking dogs that searched the next day. Anne makes a good point that they should have done another search from the start/tapas bar of her last known route back to the apartment at 5.40.

"When she finished jogging, at around 5:20/5:30 p.m., she went to the Tapas area. Gerry was there, as well as the twins and Madeleine who were having dinner at separate tables. Madeleine had been taken to the area by the nannies. Her parents were required to sign the register when the meal was over, at around 5.30 p.m. They arrived at the apartment at around 5:40 p.m., earlier than usual, because Madeleine was tired, their other friends were at the beach and Gerry had an all-male tennis game at 6:00 p.m."
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:38:19 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Anna

« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
GNR tracking dogs that searched the next day. Anne makes a good point that they should have did another search from the start/tapas bar of her last known route back to the apartment at 5.40.

"When she finished jogging, at around 5:20/5:30 p.m., she went to the Tapas area. Gerry was there, as well as the twins and Madeleine who were having dinner at separate tables. Madeleine had been taken to the area by the nannies. Her parents were required to sign the register when the meal was over, at around 5.30 p.m. They arrived at the apartment at around 5:40 p.m., earlier than usual, because Madeleine was tired, their other friends were at the beach and Gerry had an all-male tennis game at 6:00 p.m."

If my memory serves me right the GNR used sniffer dogs. Air sniffer dogs, sniff the air they can go back or forward , however they probably had trackers too. I will try and find a link.
   Sorry best I can do, but hope it helps

from the McCann files:

First GNR officers on site
JOSE MARIA BATISTA ROQUE
NELSON FILIPE PACHECO DA COSTA

GNR - Sniffer Dogs
Statements: Pedro Miguel Esteves Fernandes; António Freitas Silva; Action with the search team of GNR Cinotécnica

From  search on the subject:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/mammals/sar-dog2.htm
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:57:25 PM by anna »
― Plato

AnneGuedes

« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »
The GNR used rescue dogs and tracking dogs. The first smell the air for living lost or harmed persons, the others are given to smell an object with the missing individual's scent.

Offline John

« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
The GNR used rescue dogs and tracking dogs. The first smell the air for living lost or harmed persons, the others are given to smell an object with the missing individual's scent.

Given that Madeleine had walked around the complex for several days it is not surprising that the sniffer dogs found her scent.  My point is though that it would be impossible to differentiate between that innocent scent and that related to any abduction.

Can I just add, hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!    8((()*/
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Anna

« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
GNR tracking dogs that searched the next day. Anne makes a good point that they should have done another search from the start/tapas bar of her last known route back to the apartment at 5.40.

But didn't Kate carry the child, because she was tired ? Tracker has its nose to the ground, so doubt if that would work anyway. If she walked out the front or side door it should track her, so its unlikely she wandered off.
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #234 on: December 26, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »
Given that Madeleine had walked around the complex for several days it is not surprising that the sniffer dogs found her scent.  My point is though that it would be impossible to differentiate between that innocent scent and that related to any abduction.

Can I just add, hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!    8((()*/

I hope you had a lovely Christmas too John and everyone else as well
― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #235 on: December 26, 2013, 06:28:51 PM »
But didn't Kate carry the child, because she was tired ? Tracker has its nose to the ground, so doubt if that would work anyway. If she walked out the front or side door it should track her, so its unlikely she wandered off.

It is revealing that the GNR sniffer dogs didn't find her scent at the patio door.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #236 on: December 26, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
It is revealing that the GNR sniffer dogs didn't find her scent at the patio door.
How do you know that, John ?
It's revealing that most dog hairs were found precisely near the door-window.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #237 on: December 26, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
The dog has its nose on the ground because cells and volatile molecules fall on the ground whether coming from hands, head, knees...  A barefoot person is the best for the dog. Madeleine is supposed to have disappeared barefoot.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #238 on: December 26, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
As the departure point was the main door, the route taken by all dogs seems to indicate it was the strongest track (vs an eventual route through the car park on which there's no certain statement). It is a pity the door-window wasn't offered as a point of departure for the dogs.
What seems clear to me is that if Smithman (getting out through the main door) carried an alive Madeleine, the dogs hadn't turned around the building. If Smithman went out through the door-window and then the path alley carrying an alive Madeleine, the dogs had turned right, not left, when arriving on the path alley.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #239 on: December 26, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
As the departure point was the main door, the route taken by all dogs seems to indicate it was the strongest track (vs an eventual route through the car park on which there's no certain statement). It is a pity the door-window wasn't offered as a point of departure for the dogs.
What seems clear to me is that if Smithman (getting out through the main door) carried an alive Madeleine, the dogs hadn't turned around the building. If Smithman went out through the door-window and then the path alley carrying an alive Madeleine, the dogs had turned right, not left, when arriving on the path alley.

And the reason the cadaver dog was brought in is because they had to investigate the tragic hypothesis that Madeleine wasn't alive when Smithman took her out of the apartment so those GNR dogs wouldn't have found that trail. The cadaver dog only alerted at the back not the front so that's a good indication on where she left from using that hypothesis.