Author Topic: Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?  (Read 46623 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
It all comes down to justification in my opinion According to the drama Sutton didn't give Surrey police any reason to believe he went there as a know-all from The Met.

According to Gamble the UK police did give the PJ  the impression that they were the 'experts'.
Well the reaction from the Surrey police in that drama certainly seems at odds with your opinion.  They didn't seem to like it one bit when he came strolling in from the Big Smoke telling them they had to put Bellfield in the frame.  so you can actually see no parallels at all between the PJ and the Surrey police?  OK, that tells me all I need to know.  Thanks.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 12:55:11 PM »
That's the price of a free press.  Or we could go down the Hacked Off route...

I don't want a press which thinks scuppering a murder investigation is acceptable. Neither do I want a police force whose members think leaking information to the press is acceptable.

Perhaps a law requiring journalists to disclose their sources (and evidence of what was said) would stop a lot of these problems? It would certainly be interesting.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »
Well the reaction from the Surrey police in that drama certainly seems at odds with your opinion.  They didn't seem to like it one bit when he came strolling in from the Big Smoke telling them they had to put Bellfield in the frame.  so you can actually see no parallels at all between the PJ and the Surrey police?  OK, that tells me all I need to know.  Thanks.

I see you are agreeing with Surrey police. Did Sutton really go 'strolling in from the Big Smoke telling them they had to put Bellfield in the frame'? That wasn't my impression.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
I see you are agreeing with Surrey police. Did Sutton really go 'strolling in from the Big Smoke telling them they had to put Bellfield in the frame'? That wasn't my impression.
In what way do you think I am agreeing with the Surrey police?!  Why did the head honcho go ballistic at Sutton when he went to see them?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
I don't want a press which thinks scuppering a murder investigation is acceptable. Neither do I want a police force whose members think leaking information to the press is acceptable.

Perhaps a law requiring journalists to disclose their sources (and evidence of what was said) would stop a lot of these problems? It would certainly be interesting.
You cannot be serious?!!

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »

The Surrey Detective didn't half get shirty.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 01:36:06 PM »
The Surrey Detective didn't half get shirty.
Indeed.  He didn't seem to like Sutton stepping on his patch one bit.  Even Sutton's wife seemed to allude to this at one point in the drama, iirc.

Offline John

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Following requests, I have created this new thread from posts which has been spun off from the 'Wandering Off Topic' thread. Hopefully most of the relevant posts are included.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »
In what way do you think I am agreeing with the Surrey police?!  Why did the head honcho go ballistic at Sutton when he went to see them?

You seem to think it was  because of Sutton's attitude. I didn't see anything wrong with his attitude, did I miss something?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
I'm not sure if you and I watched the same film.  I must admit I was a bit amazed at the emphasis on Sutton's inexperience which made me wonder a bit about prior and subsequent achievements.
The size of the team was impressive enabling the presence of surveillance technology to be fully investigated to prove its worth ... and only thinking outside the box enabled the connection to Milly Dowler three years down the line making one wonder what Bellfield and cohorts might be involved in that we'll never know about.

Did you miss the bit at the beginning in that writing stuff that said:
"This DRAMA is BASED on a true story. Some names have been CHANGED......"
"Devised by Colin Sutton and A.N. Other......"
Draw your own conclusions.

If the bit about the News of The World were true it would remain a worry as despite the demise of NOTW The Sun and The Times, members of the the same empire, remain.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Admin

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »

If the bit about the News of The World were true it would remain a worry as despite the demise of NOTW The Sun and The Times, members of the the same empire, remain.

I viewed the three-part drama with some concern initially but by the end I was actively seeking more.  Martin Clunes played Colin Sutton admirably so well done to him.  Troubling however was the jealousy between police forces which might well have resulted in a failed investigation.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »

Yes. DRAMA. based on a TRUE story.... Did Sutton's wife really advise him... Or was that a bit of DRAMA

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »
I viewed the three-part drama with some concern initially but by the end I was actively seeking more.  Martin Clunes played Colin Sutton admirably so well done to him.  Troubling however was the jealousy between police forces which might well have resulted in a failed investigation.

I wonder how much jealosy there is between the PJ and Grange

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »

Was talking to an individual last week who had worked at the Times office some time ago. He met Murdoch during a visit by him to the office. He said he was a very small, weedy man with few redeeming features. During the visit he gave their marching orders to one of the cleaners because someone had dropped a piece of litter in the walkway between the desk and it hadn’t been picked up. He said Murdoch’s son seemed okay but was totally in his father’s shadow.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 02:57:45 PM »

Nonetheless it remains a drama; a well presented one in my book but I can see why some will disagree.
It dispels the crazy notion that one can "bung all the data in a computer press the tit and hey presto instant perpetrator".
The jealousy bit is human nature and operates in any large organisation to the detriment of that organisation.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey