Author Topic: Moderation queries.  (Read 92432 times)

Offline barrier

Re: Moderation queries.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
Brietta accuses Monkey of making it up,I do the same to sadie and it gets whoosed,unbiased far from it,watch this go as well.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
Brietta accuses Monkey of making it up,I do the same to sadie and it gets whoosed,unbiased far from it,watch this go as well.

Thank you barrier. That's another problem. Moderators shouldn't penalise others for doing things they also do. Respect has to be earned and a moderator who displays the "do as I say not as I do" attitude won't be respected, and will lose authority imo. Leading by example is what the best leaders do imo.

Another problem is the provision of cites. I find myself being pursued for a cite, but when I ask for one I rarely get it, even from a moderator. That feels unfair because the moderator can delete my post if I don't comply, but I can do nothing if they fail to comply.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Online Eleanor

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
How dare you wander off feeding dogs lol!!

I know it's purely a voluntary matter, but even volunteers are usually organised so they are present when needed.  Perhaps more organisation between moderators would help?

I can sometimes be here for hours and no one puts a foot wrong, in my opinion.  And then John whooshes the lot.  Off Topic, or something.  I'm not very hot on Off Topic.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »

I don't think this is quite the topic for whooshing.  Unless it is down right Insulting.  But then I am difficult to insult.  I've had too much practice at dealing with that.  The rest of the moderators are on their own.

Offline barrier

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
I don't think this is quite the topic for whooshing.  Unless it is down right Insulting.  But then I am difficult to insult.  I've had too much practice at dealing with that.  The rest of the moderators are on their own.

The trouble with a thread such as this can a mod answer objectively rather than take it personally.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »

No Moderator is obliged to answer anything to do with Moderating.

Offline barrier

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
Hi Erngath

We have had this raised numerous times and the answer from moderators is always that it would create far too much work if every deletion had to be explained.  That said however, I have no problem with posters asking why their post was removed and being entitled to an answer.

The most common reason why innocuous posts are removed is generally because they quoted an already deleted post or were off topic.  I believe your reply to davel earlier today was removed as it was off topic.  Members can ask an admin to intervene at any time if they consider that a post has been removed contrary to the forum rules.

No Moderator is obliged to answer anything to do with Moderating.

No one said you were,but out of courtesy to John I'll hi-light his thoughts.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »
The trouble with a thread such as this can a mod answer objectively rather than take it personally.
I think it might depend on whether the question asked was objective or personal.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »
I can sometimes be here for hours and no one puts a foot wrong, in my opinion.  And then John whooshes the lot.  Off Topic, or something.  I'm not very hot on Off Topic.

I've seen Rob struggling to decide what is and isn't acceptable too. It seems moderators aren't completely sure of the rules they're enforcing.
Result = happy posting.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
I've seen Rob struggling to decide what is and isn't acceptable too. It seems moderators aren't completely sure of the rules they're enforcing.

Moderators have no power, is the short answer.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 08:45:23 PM »
Moderators have no power, is the short answer.

So moderators get stick from members and get overruled on their decisions? Why on earth would anyone want to do it?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 11:21:29 PM »
I would advocate fewer deletions and warnings.  I have had a warning before for being sarcastic.  I mean how ridiculous.  The best forum moderation I ever encountered was the British Democracy Forum which took a libertarian approach and you could say what you liked pretty much.  The only times things got removed was when named people complained that there were libellous comments about them and they were removed.  No one had posts removed for being off topic, there were no warning points at all, we weren’t treated like naughty school children.  That said it was forced to close because I think of a threat of a lawsuit by some political type, probably a UKIPPER or a BNPer, so perhaps it was just too relaxed in the end.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Eleanor

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 12:05:16 AM »
So moderators get stick from members and get overruled on their decisions? Why on earth would anyone want to do it?

Someone has to try to prevent this Forum from turning into a cess pit, and John can't do it all by himself.  You have two Supporter Mods, two Sceptic Mods and one Middle of the Road.  And most of you don't want to do it.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »
I would advocate fewer deletions and warnings.  I have had a warning before for being sarcastic.  I mean how ridiculous.  The best forum moderation I ever encountered was the British Democracy Forum which took a libertarian approach and you could say what you liked pretty much.  The only times things got removed was when named people complained that there were libellous comments about them and they were removed.  No one had posts removed for being off topic, there were no warning points at all, we weren’t treated like naughty school children.  That said it was forced to close because I think of a threat of a lawsuit by some political type, probably a UKIPPER or a BNPer, so perhaps it was just too relaxed in the end.

I think you have pretty well described the purpose of Moderation on this Forum.  Off Topic is not enforced to any great extent, and John deals with most of that as sometimes there are some comments worth saving for some other Thread, but only John can move stuff around.

As for Warnings, some members do push their luck to see how far they can go.  The worst being repeatedly reposting Deleted Posts.

In the end it is all a matter of opinion, unless it is outright Libel or downright lies.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »
I think you have pretty well described the purpose of Moderation on this Forum.  Off Topic is not enforced to any great extent, and John deals with most of that as sometimes there are some comments worth saving for some other Thread, but only John can move stuff around.

As for Warnings, some members do push their luck to see how far they can go.  The worst being repeatedly reposting Deleted Posts.

In the end it is all a matter of opinion, unless it is outright Libel or downright lies.
In my opinion things have certainly improved on the moderation front since a certain mod decided to take a more backseat role and didn’t deliberately go out of their way to wind me up with warnings for sarcasm and being argumentative, that was IMO an example of a mod using their authority in a provocative way.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly