Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400750 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #3315 on: February 15, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
My experience of holidays abroad reveals a more casual approach to child supervision especially around the resort itself.  Parents go on holiday to relax and in most cases leave children to their own devices within the confines of the holiday complex. Ultimately, it all depends on the age of the child.

Small children of Madeleine's age were being discussed. I don't suppose parents allow them to wander about on their own, although I'm beginning to wonder.

I had the impression that parents today were more protective of their children than people like me who had children in the 1960's, but it seems it's not so simple as that.

I had a basic level of care that I applied at all times, wherever  the family happened to be. I seem to be being told that modern parents take less care on holiday than they do at home.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #3316 on: February 15, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »
I suppose it could be that modern parents are more selfish than earlier generations and want more 'me time'
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3317 on: February 15, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »

In my opinion an age of innocence was lost in Britain when the moors murderers began their killing spree; it was a definitive time for all parents and children.

Another defining moment was the disappearance of Madeleine McCann while on holiday abroad.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #3318 on: February 15, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
In my opinion an age of innocence was lost in Britain when the moors murderers began their killing spree; it was a definitive time for all parents and children.

Another defining moment was the disappearance of Madeleine McCann while on holiday abroad.

I would agree re: the moors murders, though I think the McCann case has only pointed out what can happen when you leave your kids on their own.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3319 on: February 15, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
I would agree re: the moors murders, though I think the McCann case has only pointed out what can happen when you leave your kids on their own.
Not really... Children are abducted in various circumstances.....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3320 on: February 15, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »

Innocents were the victims of both instances in unforeseen circumstances.  As were those children assaulted in their beds while on holiday.  Of course nothing forewarned parents of the dangers of that since no-one was publicising it was happening.  These kids categorically had not been left on their own.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3321 on: February 15, 2018, 06:50:59 PM »

The moors murders were truly shocking and horrifying although they didn't affect the way I treated my children. They weren't as free as I was, but that was due to other considerations such as where we lived.

I don't think MBM's disappearance would have affected my behaviour if I'd had children of a similar age because I don't know what happened to her. I never took the same risks with my children either, I paid babysitters if I went out. 
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #3322 on: February 15, 2018, 07:00:42 PM »
The moors murders were truly shocking and horrifying although they didn't affect the way I treated my children. They weren't as free as I was, but that was due to other considerations such as where we lived.

I don't think MBM's disappearance would have affected my behaviour if I'd had children of a similar age because I don't know what happened to her. I never took the same risks with my children either, I paid babysitters if I went out.

Babysitters whom you knew?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #3323 on: February 15, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
Small children of Madeleine's age were being discussed. I don't suppose parents allow them to wander about on their own, although I'm beginning to wonder.

I had the impression that parents today were more protective of their children than people like me who had children in the 1960's, but it seems it's not so simple as that.

I had a basic level of care that I applied at all times, wherever  the family happened to be. I seem to be being told that modern parents take less care on holiday than they do at home.
Tough call.

We have a back garden that makes the Tapas zone look pocket handkerchief size.

I think of it as ultra-safe.  The worst intruder I have seen is the neighbours' cat, though I am told there has been a wild boar.

However, much of our boundary is a ditch.  Normally dry, but a ditch all the same.

I have 2 young grandchildren, one aged 7+.  One aged a little over two.

I was digging our vegetable patch recently when the two kids came past me in a little electric car.  This was perhaps 100m from the house.  And not a parent in sight.

I carried on digging.  The kids went maybe another 50m into the garden.

Then the 7-year-old came back, playing with a tree cutting he had picked up.

I stopped digging and went into alert mode.  I could not see or hear the two year old or the toy car.  All I did was ask the 7-year-old where his brother was, on the basis he had been with him.

It turned out there was no reason to worry.  The child and car were safe in a part of the garden I couldn't see.
What's up, old man?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3324 on: February 15, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
Babysitters whom you knew?

Mostly teenagers belonging to friends. All that was required was someone in charge in case the children woke up. My children very rarely woke up because with three under 5's I was strict about bed and sleep times. Evenings were my 'me time' after twelve hours or more of childcare, shopping and housework.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3325 on: February 15, 2018, 08:09:30 PM »
Tough call.

We have a back garden that makes the Tapas zone look pocket handkerchief size.

I think of it as ultra-safe.  The worst intruder I have seen is the neighbours' cat, though I am told there has been a wild boar.

However, much of our boundary is a ditch.  Normally dry, but a ditch all the same.

I have 2 young grandchildren, one aged 7+.  One aged a little over two.

I was digging our vegetable patch recently when the two kids came past me in a little electric car.  This was perhaps 100m from the house.  And not a parent in sight.

I carried on digging.  The kids went maybe another 50m into the garden.

Then the 7-year-old came back, playing with a tree cutting he had picked up.

I stopped digging and went into alert mode.  I could not see or hear the two year old or the toy car.  All I did was ask the 7-year-old where his brother was, on the basis he had been with him.

It turned out there was no reason to worry.  The child and car were safe in a part of the garden I couldn't see.

So a 2 and 7 yr old were basically unsupervised... Out of site..
Absolutely  crazy...imo

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3326 on: February 15, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »
Absolutely  crazy...imo
It is the risk some take.  It was based on the past experience.  Probably OK in 999,999 cases in a million. Call it crazy if you want, but a lot of us did that sort of thing.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3327 on: February 15, 2018, 08:30:36 PM »
It is the risk some take.  It was based on the past experience.  Probably OK in 999,999 cases in a million. Call it crazy if you want, but a lot of us did that sort of thing.
Fine... About the same chance the mccanns took

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3328 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
Absolutely  crazy...imo

I was a latchkey kid at seven years of age and my children would go to the shop and the playground with their friends at that age, although not if there was a busy road to cross. My husband walked to school alone at five years of age. There is concern that today's children aren't being allowed to learn self-reliance.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3329 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:31 PM »
I was a latchkey kid at seven years of age and my children would go to the shop and the playground with their friends at that age, although not if there was a busy road to cross. My husband walked to school alone at five years of age. There is concern that today's children aren't being allowed to learn self-reliance.

A two year old unsupervised  150 yrds from the house
Not  much difference  to what the mccanns did.. Imo

Could have ended in tragedy...