Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400803 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #4830 on: June 01, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
What an appallingly insulting and totally ignorant post aimed at those children who do not pass the eleven plus....many children from non selective state schools go on to study at the the top universities

What an appallingly insulting and totally ignorant post aimed at both those children who passed an 11+ and those who did not.

Those who passed an 11+ plus deserved one type of teaching and support, whilst those who did not deserved a totally different type of teaching and support.

You have managed to bring one set down to LCD, whilst putting the other set through the grinder.

That's not bizarre.  The correct description is inhumane.  What an awful post.
What's up, old man?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4831 on: June 01, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »
What an appallingly insulting and totally ignorant post aimed at both those children who passed an 11+ and those who did not.

Those who passed an 11+ plus deserved one type of teaching and support, whilst those who did not deserved a totally different type of teaching and support.

You have managed to bring one set down to LCD, whilst putting the other set through the grinder.

What?  You have totally misunderstood Davel's comment.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4832 on: June 01, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »

what  ridiculously uninformed post......its almost too ridiculous for words...so how many of those pupils you claim have been dragged down have gone on to university...gerry mccanns one...

just to add....i sailed through the eleven plus.....but i can still see the unfairness off it....and the damage it does

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4833 on: June 01, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
if the child hadnt mastered english it was more than likely down to parental input...If a child is labelled a failure at 10...which you seem to condone.....then perhaps tahts the reason they are more likely to fail...children need encouragement...not labels...and children develop at different rates

So you blame the parents for the failure of that boy's primary school?  I asked the mother if she had raised the problem during his primary education and she said she had, but was ignored. I can relate to that as one of my children struggled. I found empty books at parent's evening and raised it with her teacher, who wasn't concerned. I went to the headmaster and insisted that my daughter was given extra help. He managed to organise it and my daughter caught up, but not all parents are confident enough to challenge the teachers as I did.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4834 on: June 01, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »
So you blame the parents for the failure of that boy's primary school?  I asked the mother if she had raised the problem during his primary education and she said she had, but was ignored. I can relate to that as one of my children struggled. I found empty books at parent's evening and raised it with her teacher, who wasn't concerned. I went to the headmaster and insisted that my daughter was given extra help. He managed to organise it and my daughter caught up, but not all parents are confident enough to challenge the teachers as I did.

your whole post is anectdotal......Didnt you realise your child struggled when you read at home with them...did you raed at home

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4835 on: June 01, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »

May I ask what the subject was that was an issue?

We've got an 8 year-old grandchild, and I can help him out with many subjects.  My difficulty is that his lessons and books are in Portuguese, and that is not my strong point.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4836 on: June 01, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »

so how will your grandchildren in portugal cope....will they be dragged down with the illiterate

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4837 on: June 01, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
May I ask what the subject was that was an issue?

We've got an 8 year-old grandchild, and I can help him out with many subjects.  My difficulty is that his lessons and books are in Portuguese, and that is not my strong point.

will you be sending him to a selective school in portugal...if you live in portugal might be worth learning the language

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4838 on: June 01, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »
i was referring to your post ...I understand posts can be criticised....your post wa sinsulting to children who fail to pass the eleven plus...who you refer to as illiterate...that shows a complete lack...or ignorance...of the truth

Your post was insulting to both those who pass and those who don't.

And that was why I found your post to be highly insulting.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4839 on: June 01, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
Your post was insulting to both those who pass and those who don't.

And that was why I found your post to be highly insulting.

It certainly wasnt insulting to any children...as Eleanor said...you obviously didnt understand it....in fact you have shown you ahve totally misunderstood it

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4840 on: June 01, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
will you be sending him to a selective school in portugal...if you live in portugal might be worth learning the language

AFAIK, school does not work that way in Portugal.

It's 'comprehensive', which is a system that comes in for much criticism from the Portuguese.

Or it's 'pay-for', which usually provides a higher quality of education.

I have no idea what his parents are going to opt for.
What's up, old man?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4841 on: June 01, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
There was a dreadful cruelty about the selection process of examining children at such an early age and labelling them as failures.

I know twin sisters who attended the same Primary School.
One passed the Qualifying Exam, one failed !
They then had to attend different schools.
This had such a huge effect on both of them, by especially the one who failed.
I know some children overcame this failure and went on to have successful lives and good incomes but it is not a system that I would ever wish to see return.

I was listening to Terry Waite on the radio last night. He grew up in a small village in Cheshire and he failed his 11 plus, as did all his classmates. In fact that particular school, I think he said, had only one child who passed it in about ten years. That child was a teacher's child who was coached.

My primary school, on the other hand, managed three passes in my year;  me and two others. He pointed out that there was a shortage of good tIeachers after WW2 due to the horrendous death toll. I know there was a scheme to get ex-service men into teaching, and there were some in my Grammar school who, with hindsight, had serious problems.

I would describe my English teacher as a complete and utter nutter, to be honest. We could spend whole lessons watching him sweep around the room with his gown flying behind him as he performed Shakespeare without any input from us whatsoever. Perhaps he was a frustrated actor.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4842 on: June 01, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
AFAIK, school does not work that way in Portugal.

It's 'comprehensive', which is a system that comes in for much criticism from the Portuguese.

Or it's 'pay-for', which usually provides a higher quality of education.

I have no idea what his parents are going to opt for.

so if he goes to the local comp....in your words...he will be dragged down to the LCD....that certainly isnt how i see it

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4843 on: June 01, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
so if he goes to the local comp....in your words...he will be dragged down to the LCD....that certainly isnt how i see it

As you are not au fait with the Portuguese educational system, I trust you will not be offended if I ignore your opinion.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4844 on: June 01, 2019, 03:43:42 PM »
As you are not au fait with the Portuguese educational system, I trust you will not be offended if I ignore your opinion.

I am au fait with it.... If there no selection then it's, a comprehensive system..same as the UK non selective..
With the same level of literacy amongst students as the uk