Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400792 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #4845 on: June 01, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
So you blame the parents for the failure of that boy's primary school?  I asked the mother if she had raised the problem during his primary education and she said she had, but was ignored. I can relate to that as one of my children struggled. I found empty books at parent's evening and raised it with her teacher, who wasn't concerned. I went to the headmaster and insisted that my daughter was given extra help. He managed to organise it and my daughter caught up, but not all parents are confident enough to challenge the teachers as I did.

I gave up with State Schools and then beggared myself to send mine all to Public School.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4846 on: June 01, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
your whole post is anectdotal......Didnt you realise your child struggled when you read at home with them...did you raed at home

If you want me to pontificate about education systems I can, for hours. Of course I noticed, my child was struggling.  I read to and with all my children both before and during their schooling. That paeticular one was different. Something she seemed to grasp one day had gone the next day. It was my intention to discuss it at her parent's evening. Visiting at other times wasn't encouraged in those days.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4847 on: June 01, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
I am au fait with it.... If there no selection then it's, a comprehensive system..same as the UK non selective..
With the same level of literacy amongst students as the uk

Errr, no.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4848 on: June 01, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »
Errr, no.

yes...literacy at 15...exactly the same as teh UK

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4849 on: June 01, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
May I ask what the subject was that was an issue?

We've got an 8 year-old grandchild, and I can help him out with many subjects.  My difficulty is that his lessons and books are in Portuguese, and that is not my strong point.

I knew her reading was a problem because as a voracious reader myself I started them on reading at an early age.  At parent's evening I discovered to my horror that she was learning nothing at all. There was nothing to see, no work at all in any subject.
Result = happy posting.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4850 on: June 01, 2019, 03:56:03 PM »

Errr, no.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4851 on: June 01, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4852 on: June 01, 2019, 03:59:09 PM »
I have a cite ...you dont

Errr, no.
What's up, old man?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #4854 on: June 01, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
I was listening to Terry Waite on the radio last night. He grew up in a small village in Cheshire and he failed his 11 plus, as did all his classmates. In fact that particular school, I think he said, had only one child who passed it in about ten years. That child was a teacher's child who was coached.

My primary school, on the other hand, managed three passes in my year;  me and two others. He pointed out that there was a shortage of good tIeachers after WW2 due to the horrendous death toll. I know there was a scheme to get ex-service men into teaching, and there were some in my Grammar school who, with hindsight, had serious problems.

I would describe my English teacher as a complete and utter nutter, to be honest. We could spend whole lessons watching him sweep around the room with his gown flying behind him as he performed Shakespeare without any input from us whatsoever. Perhaps he was a frustrated actor.

I had a few teachers at High school who terrified me.
After the war there was interest a shortage of teachers and many who did not have the correct qualifications were allowed to teach.
Here they were called Dilutee teachers.
Not held in high esteem by those who had spent three years at University and one at teacher training college.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4855 on: June 01, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »
I had a few teachers at High school who terrified me.
After the war there was interest a shortage of teachers and many who did not have the correct qualifications were allowed to teach.
Here they were called Dilutee teachers.
Not held in high esteem by those who had spent three years at University and one at teacher training college.

Many of these that filled the gaps were people who had had to go to war.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4856 on: June 01, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »

Literacy, of course, meaning the ability to read and write. That covers the whole spectrum from those who can just about read and write to those who can produce and understand complex texts using correct spelling and punctuation.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4857 on: June 01, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
Literacy, of course, meaning the ability to read and write. That covers the whole spectrum from those who can just about read and write to those who can produce and understand complex texts using correct spelling and punctuation.

ive provided a cite for my claim..sil hasnt...and it might be better to read the cite provided before making claims.

Test

Each student takes a two-hour handwritten test. Part of the test is multiple-choice and part involves fuller answers. There are six and a half hours of assessment material, but each student is not tested on all the parts. Following the cognitive test, participating students spend nearly one more hour answering a questionnaire on their background including learning habits, motivation, and family. School directors fill in a questionnaire describing school demographics, funding, etc. In 2012 the participants were, for the first time in the history of large-scale testing and assessments, offered a new type of problem, i.e. interactive (complex) problems requiring exploration of a novel virtual device
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:22:39 PM by Davel »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4858 on: June 01, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
heres my cite...wheres yours
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

You haven't got a cite.  It meaningless.  Just read it.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4859 on: June 01, 2019, 04:20:27 PM »
You haven't got a cite.  It meaningless.  Just read it.

in your opinion...you havent provide d a cite at all..

literacy at 15 the same in the UK as portugal...cite provided...a two hour handwritten test...how is that meaningless...explain

your post is not truthful
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:23:02 PM by Davel »