Author Topic: Amaral and the dogs  (Read 841559 times)

ferryman

Re: Amaral and the dogs
« Reply #735 on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »
I think it is usual to have at least two different teams working a case, Anna.  Different handlers and different dogs.

Yes, a one-to-one handler to dog ratio at the same crime scene.

Offline Carew

« Reply #736 on: July 06, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
No it's not the point.

If there is blood in the vicinity, a cadaver dog (should alert).  Speculation about "cadaver scent" is precisely that, speculation and guesswork unless there is corroboration.

Corroboration can come, alone, from DNA uncovered by scientists in a laboratory.

To state as fact that if both dogs alert, then it must be only to blood is misleading.

That`s why I stuck to the point, because in my view such a categorical assertion could give an impression that cadaver contaminant was never present in this case, rather than unconfirmed/unknown.

There is a question mark over it, isn`t there and that`s the bottom line surely?

Offline Anna

« Reply #737 on: July 06, 2015, 07:17:46 PM »
I think it is usual to have at least two different teams working a case, Anna.  Different handlers and different dogs.

I believe you are correct, Brietta. Although Mr Grime owned both dogs, IIRC one of them had a different handler.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #738 on: July 06, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »
Yes, a one-to-one handler to dog ratio at the same crime scene.

Grime does one to one. One at a time. They do different jobs. That's why there's two dogs  8(0(*
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Carana

« Reply #739 on: July 06, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
Hairs on bed.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/5A_FORENSIC_4_5_7.htm

Hmmm. Yes.  Six of which never made it to the lab. What did the  PJ forensic squad do with them?

Offline jassi

« Reply #740 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
Who says that they didn't reach the lab?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

« Reply #741 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:44 PM »
Grime does one to one. One at a time. They do different jobs. That's why there's two dogs  8(0(*

No, no.

One handler and one dog at the same crime scene.

That was the ratio in the second enquiry.  Two dogs and two handlers.

Not one handler handling two dogs.

ferryman

« Reply #742 on: July 06, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
I believe you are correct, Brietta. Although Mr Grime owned both dogs, IIRC one of them had a different handler.

At SYP Ellis handled Keela.

http://dogsdontlie.com/main/2005/12/on-scent-of-success-sniffer-dog-keela-earns-more-than-her-chief-constable/

PC John Ellis, her handler, said that police sent for Keela when the scenes of crime squad failed to find what they were looking for. - See more at: http://dogsdontlie.com/main/2005/12/on-scent-of-success-sniffer-dog-keela-earns-more-than-her-chief-constable
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:31:24 PM by ferryman »

Offline Anna

« Reply #743 on: July 06, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
To state as fact that if both dogs alert, then it must be only to blood is misleading.

That`s why I stuck to the point, because in my view such a categorical assertion could give an impression that cadaver contaminant was never present in this case, rather than unconfirmed/unknown.

There is a question mark over it, isn`t there and that`s the bottom line surely?

I think it all boils down to corroboration, Carew.
This topic is concerning Madeleine McCann and an alert by a blood dog and a cadaver dog(who could also scent blood).
It therefore needed corroboration(as do all dog alerts really).
Since her DNA was not found in that area it means that it was not her blood. If as you thought a cadaver was alerted too, by Eddie and the blood was left behind(which was alerted too by Keela), then it was not Madeleine.

However I must agree with you that it could have come from any another cadaver.
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #744 on: July 06, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
Who says that they didn't reach the lab?

Have you seen any Lab results? If so please share
― Plato

Offline jassi

« Reply #745 on: July 06, 2015, 07:40:31 PM »
Have you seen any Lab results? If so please share

No I haven't - I was asking who said they never went there.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

« Reply #746 on: July 06, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
I think it all boils down to corroboration, Carew.
This topic is concerning Madeleine McCann and an alert by a blood dog and a cadaver dog(who could also scent blood).
It therefore needed corroboration(as do all dog alerts really).
Since her DNA was not found in that area it means that it was not her blood. If as you thought a cadaver was alerted too, by Eddie and the blood was left behind(which was alerted too by Keela), then it was not Madeleine.

However I must agree with you that it could have come from any another cadaver.

The Eddie and Keela combination was a half-way house to attainment of the optimal combination, realised with Keela and Morse partnership.

This was an innovation of the US forensic canine program that matched a cadaver dog, desensitised to blood, with a second dog trained to react to nothing else (so that the potential advantage of finding blood was not lost).

Moreover, by having a cadaver dog desensitised to blood, that (in theory) increased confidence that if a cadaver dog alerted, it had, indeed, detected cadaver scent.

That is why, in the Bianca Jones case, the uncorroborated alerts of Morse were accepted as stand-alone  evidence of murder.

Offline Anna

« Reply #747 on: July 06, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »
The Eddie and Keela combination was a half-way house to attainment of the optimal combination, realised with Keela and Morse partnership.

This was an innovation of the US forensic canine program that matched a cadaver dog, desensitised to blood, with a second dog trained to react to nothing else (so that the potential advantage of finding blood was not lost).

Moreover, by having a cadaver dog desensitised to blood, that (in theory) increased confidence that if a cadaver dog alerted, it had, indeed, detected cadaver scent.

That is why, in the Bianca Jones case, the uncorroborated alerts of Morse were accepted as stand-alone  evidence of murder.

Eddie was not desensitised to the scent of blood, Ferryman. This where confusion arises.
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #748 on: July 06, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
At SYP Ellis handled Keela.

http://dogsdontlie.com/main/2005/12/on-scent-of-success-sniffer-dog-keela-earns-more-than-her-chief-constable/

PC John Ellis, her handler, said that police sent for Keela when the scenes of crime squad failed to find what they were looking for. - See more at: http://dogsdontlie.com/main/2005/12/on-scent-of-success-sniffer-dog-keela-earns-more-than-her-chief-constable

John Ellis other dog was border collie Frankie.

When faced with a “clean” crime scene, Mr Ellis and PC Martin Grimes, Keela’s other handler, will first send in Frankie, a border collie, and Eddie, another springer spaniel, to pick up any general scent. Then they wheel in the big gun. “We take Keela in and she will find the minutest traces of blood,” Mr Ellis said. “It’s not like looking for a needle in a haystack any more. The other two dogs will find the haystack and Keela will find the needle.” - See more at: http://dogsdontlie.com/main/2005/12/on-scent-of-success-sniffer-dog-keela-earns-more-than-her-chief-constable/#sthash.fPLUNEvu.dpuf

Her handler, PC Martin Grime, has been responsible for training Keela, along with National Search Adviser Mark Harrison, since June last year.
http://news.sky.com/story/395084/keelas-nose-makes-her-top-dog

Constable John Ellis, said he realised the dog operated by his team-mate Martin Grime, a dog called "Eddie", a Springer Spaniel, had found something, because of his barking.

He added he continued searching with his dog "Frankie" a Border Collie, and that when he approached Constable Grime`s position, "there was a distinct smell of decay".

Constable Grime had told the court that as he searched the hedgerows and riverbank "Eddie" jumped into the stream and at one stage was being swept away by the current.

However, the dog managed to swim back up and jumped unto a pile of stones on the further bank and started barking.

"I immediately noted that he had found something and I made my way to the bank and saw what he had found," said Constable Grime.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

ferryman

« Reply #749 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
Which bit of the fact that only one handler will handle only one dog at the same crime scene and why?