Author Topic: Amaral and the dogs  (Read 841665 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: Amaral and the dogs
« Reply #1800 on: August 04, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
The obvious explanation from the dog alerts is that the missing child died in the apartment and after handling the cadaver CC was placed on the bed and was a part of staging.

So why didn't Eddie alert to the bed?  And why didn't Eddie alert to CuddleCat?  Could it be that none of this happened?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1801 on: August 04, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »
So why didn't Eddie alert to the bed?  And why didn't Eddie alert to CuddleCat?  Could it be that none of this happened?

No cadaver was in the bed. This toy was placed on top and only that was touched by cadaver hands. I don't know what happened to the sheets.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1802 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
Sending a single dog handler to PdL was the mistake they made. The fact that a journalist with questionable credentials was involved renders the entire fiasco extremely suspect.

What seems indisputable to me is that the full footage has not been released - whoever edited it.

I find it unlikely that during the arguido interviews the PJ fast-forwarded through hours and hours of footage to find the right sequences. The sequences only show where the dogs alerted, not the hours of footage where they didn't.

The PJ were attempting to get a confession based on supposedly incriminating alerts. Showing sequences in which Eddie may have cocked his leg up for a pee might have ruined the psychological impact.

I find it highly likely that the PJ edited out the unwanted footage to include the key moments. Whether that was further edited prior to Internet release... don't know.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:09:55 PM by Carana »

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1803 on: August 04, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »
What seems indisputable to me is that the full footage has not been released - whoever edited it.

I find it unlikely that during the arguido interviews the PJ fast-forwarded through hours and hours of footage to find the right sequences. The sequences only show where the dogs alerted, not the hours of footage where they didn't.

The PJ were attempting to get a confession based on supposedly incriminating alerts. Showing sequences in which Eddie may have cocked his leg up for a pee might have ruined the psychological impact.

SY are still using them so I think they take the dog alerts very seriously as they're searches last year proved. Searching areas Eddie hadn't in 2007.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1804 on: August 04, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
SY are still using them so I think they take the dog alerts very seriously as they're searches last year proved. Searching areas Eddie hadn't in 2007.

Who is "them"?

I have no problem with using dogs as an intelligence tool and never have had...

ferryman

« Reply #1805 on: August 04, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »
I think secondary transfer was on CC so a weaker scent ...

'Based upon the dogs' behaviour, is it possible to distinguish between a strong signal and a weak signal'.

The dogs' passive CSI alert provides an indication as per their training and does not vary. They only give an alert when they are 'positive' that the target of the odour is present and immediately accessible. If they had any doubts they would not give an alert. EVRD gives an alert by means of a vocal bark. The variations in the vocal alert can be explained by many reasons such as 'thirst' or 'lack of air due to effort'. Every alert can be subject to interpretation, it has to be confirmed. The signals of an alert are only just that. Once the alert has been given by the dog, it is up to the investigator/forensic scientist to locate, identify and scientifically provide the evidence of DNA, etc.

(Martin Grime)

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1806 on: August 04, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
Who is "them"?

I have no problem with using dogs as an intelligence tool and never have had...

Tito and Muzzy searching for a cadaver like Eddie.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1807 on: August 04, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
'Based upon the dogs' behaviour, is it possible to distinguish between a strong signal and a weak signal'.

The dogs' passive CSI alert provides an indication as per their training and does not vary. They only give an alert when they are 'positive' that the target of the odour is present and immediately accessible. If they had any doubts they would not give an alert. EVRD gives an alert by means of a vocal bark. The variations in the vocal alert can be explained by many reasons such as 'thirst' or 'lack of air due to effort'. Every alert can be subject to interpretation, it has to be confirmed. The signals of an alert are only just that. Once the alert has been given by the dog, it is up to the investigator/forensic scientist to locate, identify and scientifically provide the evidence of DNA, etc.

(Martin Grime)

Eddie bark alerts whether it's weak or strong scent. But secondary transfer will be weaker than direct contact with a cadaver. That is obvious.

ferryman

« Reply #1808 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Eddie bark alerts whether it's weak or strong scent. But secondary transfer will be weaker than direct contact with a cadaver. That is obvious.

Weaker to whom?

The olfactory sensors of a dog?

I doubt it.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1809 on: August 04, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
Weaker to whom?

The olfactory sensors of a dog?

I doubt it.

Weaker scents do exist @)(++(* Eddie only bark alerts when he is 100% certain.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1810 on: August 04, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »

Eddie is dead.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1811 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »

So Eddie wasn't certain about CuddleCat?  How do you work that one out?  Cart before the horse?
Eddie did not alert to CuddleCat.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1812 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
Eddie is dead.

Not in this case he isn't.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #1813 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »
What does he do when he's only 60-80% certain?  Give a raised eyebrow?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1814 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »
Not in this case he isn't.

Ah, I see.  Everlasting Victim Recovery Dog.