Author Topic: Amaral and the dogs  (Read 841602 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Amaral and the dogs
« Reply #4080 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
The EVRD alerted to the missing girl's toy. You can't fool a clever dog. Have you seen Madeleine lately? Eddie has told SY the reason why unless you think they spend millions on a case searching for the body for the hell of it.
Please post a still photo from the video, of Eddie's nose near the cat just before he barks....

You can't, because that never happens.
The secret technique is to observe carefully where Eddies nose sniffs just before he barks Pathfinder.
Watch his nose - Alert 1 in the villa is to something on top of the sideboard
Watch his nose - Alert 2 in the villa is to something on the seat of the lonely dining chair.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:21:13 AM by pegasus »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4081 on: August 27, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
Was one alert meaningless in the  Prout case? Eddie has many alerts in this one.

"You will teach the dog to associate the smell of death with its toy by making the toy smell like death. Your dog should be exposed to, and trained to find, all sorts of dead bodies — on varied terrain, day or night, rain or shine."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/magazine/how-to-train-a-cadaver-dog.html?_r=0

only having ignored the so called source of the alert several times before being led back...several times..before alerting...

if the scent is there the dog alerts...if it isn't it doesn't....isn't taht how it should be

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4082 on: August 27, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
Post a still photo of Eddie's nose near the cat just before he barks.
You can't, because that never happens.
The secret technique is to observe carefully where Eddies nose sniffs just before he barks Pathfinder.
Watch his nose - Alert 1 in the villa is to something on top of the sideboard
Watch his nose - Alert 2 in the villa is to something on the seat of the lonely dining chair.

Different dogs  - different techniques as we have seen with the trained responses of Keela and Eddie.

Some cadaver dogs lie down when they find a source, others sit and some bark.  However it does seem from what I have read that they do 'point' much in the way Keela did.

I think the following quotation may address some of what you have said in your post ...

**Snip
We untrained masses see the dogs’ abilities, far exceeding our own, in a hazy supernatural fog: surely a dog, with his powerful nose, is noticing every scent—however slight—around him.

Surely!

Noses, alas, do not work that way.

First of all, detection dogs need to “search,” to actively explore their environments, pressing their noses into cardboard, into the leg of your pants, into the canvas of a tote bag.

They burrow their noses deep into a smell.

Ever notice that your dog would rather make full-nose contact with another dog’s rump rather than smell it at a safe one-metre distance?

The same principle is at work here.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-limits-of-detection
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Lace

« Reply #4083 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:05 AM »
No that is not a bark at 14:13, and it's not panting.
It is Eddie blowing his nose out to clear it.
http://youtu.be/c4NMYPsFKb8?t=14m2s

You can hear Keela blowing her nose out and described by the handler here
http://youtu.be/SmHdPGyQt2M?t=4m26s

I can tell the difference between the dog blowing it's nose out and a bark and that is one sharp bark.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4084 on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
I agree with Dave1 that Eddie never alerts to the cat.
From this IMO come two important deductions-
1. KM described the scene in the bedroom truthfully.
2. The cat was left behind on the bed when the child left the bed.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4085 on: August 27, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »
I can tell the difference between the dog blowing it's nose out and a bark and that is one sharp bark.
The noise at 14:13 is blowing nose out IMO http://youtu.be/c4NMYPsFKb8?t=14m2s .

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4086 on: August 27, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
That is definitely a bark around about 14.13  not panting PF

The 'untrained puppy' pulling on the leash almost strangling himself behaviour shown by Eddie outside 5A is not in my opinion the behaviour one would expect from a trained working dog.

Taken in conjunction with the loud frenetic panting emanating from Eddie while he was working has always seemed a bit strange to me and I think adds up to a boy who was having difficulty with the warm Portuguese climate.

I have read in various places that a panting dog is not an efficient dog ... which seems a reasonable conclusion to reach and if you have ever been slavered over you will appreciate that ...

**Snip
Then there’s endurance: performance changes over time.

Dogs get tired, and less reliable, as the day goes on, just as we might.

As for conditions, odors change in the weather, and dogs do, too.

When they’re panting, dogs don’t sniff as readily as they normally might; an overly warm dog, forced to pant to cool himself, has a less reliable nose.

And while we don’t think of odors as seasonal (until, upon reflection, we remember: there is a smell of spring, of summer; the odors of winter are fewer), smells are more volatile in warm weather, and travel and disperse differently than in the cold.
This too affects detection rates.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-limits-of-detection
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Lace

« Reply #4087 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #4088 on: August 27, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
It's a bark.

It could also be someone moving a chair on a hard surface.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4089 on: August 27, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
It could also be someone moving a chair on a hard surface.
Could be.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4090 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
Can anyone else see the red item on the dining chair which Eddie barks at in villa?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4091 on: August 27, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »

“Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him—yet somehow I did not realize that he was a cow.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/02/27/beware-of-the-dogs

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4092 on: August 27, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
It seems I hit the inner again!
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline pegasus

« Reply #4093 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
You can see footage of the villa earlier on the same day that Eddie visited.
Panorama. There are lots of clothes being put on racks to air on balcony outside.
Were these clothes still outside when Eddie arrived?
Or had they been brought in through the balcony door and folded and stacked in the dining table area?
What time did Eddie arrive?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #4094 on: August 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM »
Were they the wet ones the PJ had to retrieve from the full washing machine?
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.