Author Topic: Did the PJ conduct a proper search for evidence at OC?  (Read 68228 times)

Offline VIXTE

Re: Did the PJ conduct a proper search for evidence at OC?
« Reply #420 on: February 27, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
Oh that godam awful interview where gerry when asked about blood and cadaver dogs deflects it and says well actually it was at OUR request they were brought in for a more thorough search!  No, he asked for dogs on the night not the cadaver dog three mnths later, the brass neck of the man!

8-)(--)

This is not true. They asked for British search dogs in July but PJ would not allow it.. there was a petition they organised, many people signed and the Cadaver dogs arrival was a result of this

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
Ironically although they may have been directed to the front door , they were still being lead up the garden path.

I thought they went straight out through the main-front doors.. they did not got towards the patio but towards the front door.. I have seen this in files..

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #422 on: February 27, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
According to her father, Madeleine had gone out twice through the south door  on that day. In the morning to go to the creche and after lunch to go to the pool.
It might explain why Numi, who went inside of the flat, spent some time by the south door.

The south door Anne...which one's that?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #423 on: February 27, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »
I would think the dogs found her freshest outdoor scent at the front door so they started from there and not the patio door which indicates to me that Madeleine came in the front way at 5.40 and not the patio way as Gerry claimed - Kate later contradicted him.
No, Pathfinder, only Numi was admitted inside of the flat (I guess the forensics prohibited Rex' entry on the 4th). Numi went close to the south door (lots of dog hairs were found there), but it was closed. Another, likely oldest but well preserved thanks to the walls, scent was picked up at the north door, and followed.
Rex started from the corridor the central hall, he found a trail up to the 5A and there picked up another one which made him turn up and follow Numi's route.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #424 on: February 27, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »
Posters don't want to admit that there are errors in the translation and then posts this...

According to her father, Madeleine had gone out twice through the south door  on that day. In the morning to go to the creche and after lunch to go to the pool.
It might explain why Numi, who went inside of the flat, spent some time by the south door.

Are we really to believe that Gerry referred to the "south" door...this PROVES  there  are errors in the translations...particularly re the dooors

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Pedro Miguel Esteves Fernandes: • That after the dogs were given this scent from the towel and near apartment 5A of block 5, the first sniffer dog headed to the door of that apartment. Immediately afterward, he turned to block 5, using a circumvented route to block 5, and came to the road between this block and the leisure area of the resort (pools, restaurant, etc), and turned to the left, or around the referred to apartment and headed to the main road. Having reached there, he crossed the road and next to a wall of block 6, crossed the road again, turned right and headed to the parking zone of the resort. More specifically, the dog went next to the light post and began smelling that location. After searching that zone, he again crossed the road and headed toward the entrance to the pool and restaurant area, and smelled the door which was closed at that hour. He turned again to the parking zone and stopped or lost the scent at this point.

• When he effected the same operation with the second dog, in general, this dog took the same route and headed to the light post and showed interest there and ended by losing the scent at this point. It should be stated that the one difference is that this second dog did not head toward the entrance to the restaurant and pool zone. But he does state that the dogs followed a 'scent trail', a signal for the animal who was working. He is certain that they were not conditioned in any direction.

• None of the dogs used in this search action, after having smelled the towel, went into block 5 but headed to the zone which gives access to the road between the apartment and the leisure area. He states it should be noted that the second dog may have been conditioned by the original path taken by the first sniffer dog as he may have smelled the first dog's path taken.

• Taking into account the aforementioned result, he states that it can be confirmed with a certain degree of certainty that the missing minor passed that location, on the day of the events or before that date. This situation can be explained by the configuration/layout of the area. That space is reduced and flanked by walls. This helps to conserve scents that may otherwise be affected by winds, etc. He would like to clarify that these sniffer dogs are more used to effecting this type of work in rural settings where there is not such a great concentration of odours.

• Yesterday (08/05/07) around 23h45, this search action was repeated but was centred on the dogs inside blocks 5 and 4 of the resort. He adds that in this type of operation, given the time that had lapsed, and with the heat that could already be felt, the results obtained may be highly relative given that the dog will confirm all the scents it comes across. It is certain the dog will react to more active scents, namely because the apartment is occupied. Also, any noise perceived by the dog in the apartment may make the dog loose interest.

• Initiating the diligence, the first sniffer dog, after having smelled the towel used in the previous operation, began searching, it being certain that next to the doors of some apartment he demonstrated major interest whilst he did not even approach others. In none of these actions did the dog give him a signal that he had caught the scent of the missing child. It is certain however, that near apartment 5J, 5H and 4G, that the dog showed major interest in smelling the doors and the immediate areas. He states that next to 5H, there were two bags of rubbish which may condition the dog. Just outside apartment 4G was a tray with plates, cutlery and cloth napkins, apparently used. It is certain that this apartment is the one where the missing child's parents were lodged (at the time). In relation to the dog's interest at doorway 5J, the same may have been conditioned by the presence of people inside the apartment.

• After completing the search in the interior of block 5, verandas and apartment access, and whilst in the exterior, the sniffer dog took the same route he had taken on 04/05/07, being the road between that apartment and the leisure area - pool sand restaurant, and headed toward the same parking area. There he lost the scent of the search. This situation may be explained by the fact that the biggest concentration of odours in that location have been preserved and protected from the winds due to the adjoining walls. When this dog got to the main road, he turned right where a large dispersion of odours existed. Here the dog lost the scent.

• The second dog was submitted to the same operation. He too showed interest in the door of apartment 5J. Here he got up on his hind paws to the parapet of the veranda and raised his head in such a way as to catch the odour. As mentioned previously, this interest may be due to various factors but it is certain that at this location the dog scented an intense odour. In the exterior, the sniffer-dog immediately took the first road, heading toward the parking area next to block 6, and there lost the scent.

• He clarifies that a search in a rural area, where a scent is much more intense is immediately noted by the sniffer dog but in an urban area, the great concentration of external odours make it possible to confuse the dog, This makes searching difficult as does the time passed between the event and the search.

• When questioned, he states that in relation to an action of this nature, it is difficult to evaluate precisely the work of the dogs, even though he is well aware what these dogs are capable of. The conditions that surrounded this search made the degree of uncertainty that much greater. The dogs may have signified or confirmed intense odours in that zone, however, they may have also merely have given a confirmation of a scent. They did not demonstrate that they had detected the odour in question.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »

Thus no scent was detected and more importantly, recorded, between the patio and the street because they never checked it?
You have to realise that the south door isn't a door (in Portuguese a door-window) since you can't open it from both sides. The mechanism to open it isn't as simple as pulling the latch of the door lock.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
Is it possible that these dogs were following Kate's scent? Didn't she mention somewhere that on the night of the disappearance she went out around the pool and to the main road next to the reception?

Edit:

In her book, Kate says - after the PJ left saying they will be back at 9am in the morning: I walked briskly up and down Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva, sometimes breaking into a jog, clinging to the hope I'd spot something in the dark.'

So, this road where the dogs stopped, is this the same road?

And it was Kate who touched Madeleine's blanket, giving it to the GNR officers..

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:38:51 PM by VIXTE »

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
One thing I've just seen in Kate's book that I don't remember ever seeing before:

"4 May

A lady from an apartment across Rua Dr Gentil Martins, overlooking our little side gate, came over to speak to us. She said that the previous night she had seen a car going up the Rocha Negra - the black, volcanic cliff that dominates the village. There was a track leading to Rocha Negra, but nobody noticed any vehicle that far up in the day time, let alone in night..... I went to tell one of the police officers who was able to speak a little English. He was quite dissmissive. It would have been one of GNR men checking the area, he said."

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2014, 01:20:15 AM »
I am repeating this.. I am terrible in map reading - just wanted to know if this is the same road where the GNR dogs stopped?

In her book, Kate says - after the PJ left saying they will be back at 9am in the morning: I walked briskly up and down Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva, sometimes breaking into a jog, clinging to the hope I'd spot something in the dark.'

Offline pegasus

« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2014, 02:00:32 AM »
I am repeating this.. I am terrible in map reading - just wanted to know if this is the same road where the GNR dogs stopped?
Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva runs along the north side of blocks 5 and 4.
The GNR dogs did not track to that road.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »
Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva runs along the north side of blocks 5 and 4.
The GNR dogs did not track to that road.

Thank you so much!