Author Topic: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?  (Read 33578 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
The U.K. Exports a lot of fish
Did you not realise that
Fish in British Coastal waters should not be shared

It's not as simple as that, though. Part of the UK catch comes from waters beyond the UK's EEZ.

Alfie

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2016, 05:46:08 PM »
If the fishermen of Scotland are so miserable why did their county overhwhelmingly vote to remain in the EU?  Do their fellow countrymen not care about their fishing heritage and the well-being of their fisher-folk?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »
If the fishermen of Scotland are so miserable why did their county overhwhelmingly vote to remain in the EU?  Do their fellow countrymen not care about their fishing heritage and the well-being of their fisher-folk?

Maybe you hadn't noticed but a hell of a lot of Scots voted to get out of the EU.  No doubt every fishing family in the country voted for Brexit so your argument is without any foundation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:23:47 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »
Maybe you hadn't noticed but a hell of a lot of Scots voted to get out of the EU.  No doubt every fishing family in the country voted for Brexit so your argument is without any foundation.

However, a lot more voted to stay in.

So  you can cite for all these fishing families voting out ?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »
However, a lot more voted to stay in.

So  you can cite for all these fishing families voting out ?

Use some common sense for once.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
Use some common sense for once.

Practice what you preach and keep off the rhetoric.

Alfie

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »
More Scots voted to remain than leave so by your logic the Scottish people's choice is to keep EU fishing regulations.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2016, 07:31:52 PM »
More Scots voted to remain than leave so by your logic the Scottish people's choice is to keep EU fishing regulations.

I think you will find that most voters in Scotland don't fish for a living.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Alfie

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »
I think you will find that most voters in Scotland don't fish for a living.
Do you fish for a living?

Offline John

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »
I think the British fishing industry is in good hands now that Brexit will definitely be happening.  I am quite sure fishing families are gearing up already to take their rightful place once these stupid EU laws and rules are once and for all consigned to the dustbin.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »
I think the British fishing industry is in good hands now that Brexit will definitely be happening.  I am quite sure fishing families are gearing up already to take their rightful place once these stupid EU laws and rules are once and for all consigned to the dustbin.

Stupid rules ?

Conserving fish stocks ?

Offline Carana

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2016, 05:43:54 PM »

Do you think that the UK (or whatever may be left of it) should also retire from the UN?

The United Nations Agreement for the Implementation of the Provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea of 10 December 1982 relating to the Conservation and Management of Straddling Fish Stocks and Highly Migratory Fish Stocks (in force as from 11 December 2001) Overview

Last updated 31 July 2013

http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/convention_overview_fish_stocks.htm

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2016, 07:30:26 PM »
What's more important the 'UK's lost fishing industry' or the circa one billion sterling UK scientists received from EU programs which post Brexit the conditions of UK-EU collaboration will have to be entirely renegotiated?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7059b00c-23fa-11e6-9d4d-c11776a5124d.html#axzz4EDjHJn00
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2016, 09:06:59 PM »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2016, 04:55:36 AM »

Scottish fishermen react to Brexit vote

One of Scotland’s most Eurosceptic industries has reacted to the UK vote to leave the European Union.

A poll ahead of the referendum from Aberdeen University showed 95% of fishermen across the UK would vote to leave the EU.

That’s after years of struggling with the European Commission on catch allocations for fishing stocks, and other Common Fisheries Policy measures like the landing obligation (or discards ban).

The Fishing for Leave campaign had argued a Brexit vote would mean the UK got a seat at the negotiating table for quota allocations, as Norway and the Faroe Islands do during discussion with the EU.

Bertie Armstrong, chief executive of the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation, said: “The result of the referendum brings both opportunities and challenges for the fishing industry and the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation will be doing everything in its power to ensure that the best possible deal is achieved for fishing during the exit negotiations.

“To aid this process, it is vital that we have clarity from both the UK and Scottish Governments on their future intentions for fishing.

“Our national governments must work closely with the industry over the coming months and years to ensure that the right framework is put in place to deliver a prosperous future.”

http://www.originalfm.com/scottish-fishermen-react-to-brexit-vote/

I still don't quite get it.

Fishermen had been wrangling over quotas and the discards issue.
Ok. Got that. Except that the discard ban has existed since Jan 1 2014 via the CFP reform.

I can understand the gripes with the old CFP (the perception - probably quite valid - that it was run by a bunch of unelected bureaucrats in the Commission, but that has substantially changed now.

The 2013 reform led to a greater role for the European Parliament, involving the convening of a trilateral dialogue (or ‘trilogue’) between the European Council, European Commission and the Parliament, to work towards general agreement on reforming the CFP.[26]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Fisheries_Policy

In their view, Brexit would mean that they'd have more say on quotas via some form of future UK - EU bilateral agreement, citing the example of Norway and Iceland.

Yes, ok, both Norway and Iceland have the right to be consulted, but they can't vote.

Hmm... Whatever agreement they reach, it would still have to be in line with the CFP and UN conventions, though.

The latest agreement between Norway and the EU was swopping a bit of blue whiting for a bit of cod fished in each other's waters.
http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/international/agreements/norway/doc/2016-agreed-record-eu-norway-north-sea-supplement-01-2016.pdf

The UK wouldn't be eligible for EU subsidies, so the UK would have to fork out. I can see John's point about cutting out the middleman, but both Iceland and Norway still pay substantial contributions to the EU budget as EFTA members. If the UK rejoined EFTA (which might have advantages), the UK would have to do so as well, in which case I don't see where the money for subsidies would come from.

I'm therefore still mystified as to what the advantages would actually be...

A bit more reading:
http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/cfp/index_en.htm
http://www.eu-norway.org/eu/norway_and_the_eu/#.V4WkW47w4Uw
http://www.eeas.europa.eu/delegations/iceland/eu_iceland/political_relations/index_en.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Free_Trade_Association