Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284917 times)

Offline Sunny

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
A second referendum won't change anything because parliament will still want their say in the end and we all know how it is split right up the middle.

I gather it is not actually split down the middle it is around 67% remain according to Radio 4 yesterday.    Which means IMO that no type of Brexit will ever get past it.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #391 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
Love this twitter account, and the work they are doing to remind us all of the duplicity and stupidity of people like Jacob Rees Mogg, Dominic Raab et al
https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys?lang=en-gb
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #392 on: January 16, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
I gather it is not actually split down the middle it is around 67% remain according to Radio 4 yesterday.    Which means IMO that no type of Brexit will ever get past it.

They are pretty hot on knowing what they don't want but no great shakes on knowing what they do want. Or at least articulating their preferences to the public at large. But then most politicians see the GPB as "useful idiots"..imho.
This makes interesting reading:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade/articles/whodoestheuktradewith/2017-02-21

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Sunny

« Reply #393 on: January 16, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »
I have just heard a labour front bencher, quoted on Radio 4, say that it doesn't matter what deal Theresa May had come up with it was Labour policy to vote no because they want a general election.

Are any of the UK parliamentarians actually thinking of the population or only themselves?

Answers on a postcard....
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #394 on: January 16, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
I have just heard a labour front bencher, quoted on Radio 4, say that it doesn't matter what deal Theresa May had come up with it was Labour policy to vote no because they want a general election.

Are any of the UK parliamentarians actually thinking of the population or only themselves?

You could just about do it on the stamp in 24pt....... ?{)(**
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #395 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »

I'm not sure Corbyn is that popular even within his own party...
https://news.sky.com/story/what-is-corbyns-next-move-after-unsuccessful-no-confidence-vote-11609257

Offline Carana

« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »
They are pretty hot on knowing what they don't want but no great shakes on knowing what they do want. Or at least articulating their preferences to the public at large. But then most politicians see the GPB as "useful idiots"..imho.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade/articles/whodoestheuktradewith/2017-02-21

Thanks for that, well laid out.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »

A very interesting read. It explains why the motor and financial services sectors have been mentioned so often. As the largest exporters to the EU they are likely to be more affected, but there are other businesses who don't seem worried at all, not even by a no deal Brexit.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »
https://news.sky.com/story/what-is-corbyns-next-move-after-unsuccessful-no-confidence-vote-11609257

I like to watch Sir Keir Starmer's face when Mr Corbyn is speaking!!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »

If you mean his Parliamentary Party he never was popular as we saw after he became leader. He is sticking with Labour's plan as decided at it's Party conference. Labour's priority is to force a General Election.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2019, 03:47:50 PM »
If you mean his Parliamentary Party he never was popular as we saw after he became leader. He is sticking with Labour's plan as decided at it's Party conference. Labour's priority is to force a General Election.

I have read and also heard on the news that Jeremy Corbyn's Momentum people have been forcing moderate Labour MP's and Councillors out of office.      IMO he is a Marxist and supporter of terrorists and I never want him as PM.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:05 PM »

Parliament no longer represents the people and that is a dangerous position for any country to be in.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Sunny

« Reply #402 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »
Parliament no longer represents the people and that is a dangerous position for any country to be in.

I have never had much faith in MPs but never less than now as they seem to be insulting voters and ignoring their wishes.   It is very dangerous and that we will all suffer because of them whether we voted remain or brexit.

I voted remain but if it we had another vote (this so called "peoples vote" I would vote for Brexit.    Why? I was a waverer anyway at the time, and the way the government, parliament and the EU also have treated voters has been so shabby I now want OUT of the lot of em.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2019, 05:20:16 PM »
I have never had much faith in MPs but never less than now as they seem to be insulting voters and ignoring their wishes.   It is very dangerous and that we will all suffer because of them whether we voted remain or brexit.

I voted remain but if it we had another vote (this so called "peoples vote" I would vote for Brexit.    Why? I was a waverer anyway at the time, and the way the government, parliament and the EU also have treated voters has been so shabby I now want OUT of the lot of em.

I think a lot of people feel like you, totally disillusioned with the lot of them. If they get another vote they will want to teach the politicians a lesson, and voting out with no deal would be the obvious way to do it.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #404 on: January 17, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
Donald Tusk said:

"If a deal is impossible, and no one wants no deal, then who will finally have the courage to say what the only positive solution is?"

Fair comment I suppose.

To my list of disliked overused misused expressions running at [so far]:
"Grass roots"
"Gate" as a suffix to any random seemingly contentious "secret" that has been given away.
"Winter of discontent" used in the context of actual season and not how Bill Wagstaff penned it originally.
"[un]fit for purpose". When used outside I Chem E Conditions of Contract.
"our" as an unnecessary prefix as in "our NHS".
I add "peoples" as in "Peoples Princess" and "peoples vote".

They've turned the language upside down and they've aimed it out the door
What 'ave they done, can anyone speak English anymore ?

The bloody peoples had a vote on EU in or out and don't need another one.
End of rant  ?{)(**