Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284914 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #435 on: January 19, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »
Can't you survive on the proceeds of your business?
Depends.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Sunny

« Reply #436 on: January 19, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »
I must admit since deciding to separate recently from my partner I do see Brexit in a slightly different light but I will definitely be financially worse off, unless I marry a millionaire next.

That would be your choice. You chose to separate (so you say) from your partner. It may actually  (if true) be the best thing you ever did.

How will you know....until you do it?

Your shop may actually make more money than you have expected if WTO terms are applied. Is your trade mainly with the USA - a better deal with them may make you more profitable.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »
That would be your choice. You chose to separate (so you say) from your partner. It may actually  (if true) be the best thing you ever did.

How will you know....until you do it?

Your shop may actually make more money than you have expected if WTO terms are applied. Is your trade mainly with the USA - a better deal with them may make you more profitable.
What shop is that?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #438 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:02 AM »
Therefore 'expert' Mark Williams-Thomas's opinion that Madeleine McCann woke and wandered is worth more than the opinion of her parents that she was abducted from her bed.
If you gave birth to a child and lived with it for four years would you say a complete stranger was more of an expert about the child’s capabilities and likely behaviour than you were?  If you believe that is the case then by all means defer to the complete stranger.  IMO no one is more of an expert about their own child than its parents.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #439 on: January 20, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »
If you gave birth to a child and lived with it for four years would you say a complete stranger was more of an expert about the child’s capabilities and likely behaviour than you were?  If you believe that is the case then by all means defer to the complete stranger.  IMO no one is more of an expert about their own child than its parents.

So expert opinion isn't always of more value.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #440 on: January 20, 2019, 08:32:09 AM »
So expert opinion isn't always of more value.
The expert in your example was Kate McCann, so her opinion was of greater value, did you not understand my post?

Offline Carana

« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
People see no benefit whatsoever in being part of a German Superstate, I certainly don't and never will do. The UK is much better off trading with the world on WTO rules, the EU policy of protectionism resulting in ridiculous tariffs on non EU countries is appalling.  Every wealthy European country has been damaged by the EU as it attempts to make one size fits all.

As for BREXIT, most people want to get the hell out of the EU and by 29 March at latest. The thought of extending this fiasco by up to another year is just pathetic as is Labours call for a second referendum which won't solve anything.

What makes you think that remaining in the EU means being part of a "German Superstate"?

In order of the number of EP seats: the UK has the 3rd highest number of EP seats out of the 28 members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_state_of_the_European_Union

Where does this idea of a "German Superstate" come from? The only media in which I've read that notion are far-right outlets...

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
The expert in your example was Kate McCann, so her opinion was of greater value, did you not understand my post?

We know that Madeleine was prone to waking.
We know that both parents first thoughts were that she had gone into their bedroom.
We know that Madeleine had run away earlier in the week.
We know that the parents left the door open so she could come and find them if she woke.

Then her mother says no way would she wander off. If there's one thing I know, it's that children constantly surprise their parents. Those who say 'not my child' are often proved wrong.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
What makes you think that remaining in the EU means being part of a "German Superstate"?

In order of the number of EP seats: the UK has the 3rd highest number of EP seats out of the 28 members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_state_of_the_European_Union

Where does this idea of a "German Superstate" come from? The only media in which I've read that notion are far-right outlets...

Maybe not a German Superstate but a Federal State of Europe could well be on the cards IMO.       A European army and European budget have already been put forward

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/881996/European-Union-Juncker-Macron-German-professor-EU-superstate-plans

Also

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10041817/Federal-Europe-will-be-a-reality-in-a-few-years-says-Jose-Manuel-Barroso.html

In fact it was my reading up after the referendum that increased my concerns about Europe.

So Carana not far right outlets - from the EU elite themselves.

Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
Maybe not a German Superstate but a Federal State of Europe could well be on the cards IMO.       A European army and European budget have already been put forward

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/881996/European-Union-Juncker-Macron-German-professor-EU-superstate-plans

Also

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10041817/Federal-Europe-will-be-a-reality-in-a-few-years-says-Jose-Manuel-Barroso.html

In fact it was my reading up after the referendum that increased my concerns about Europe.

I agree. There is reason to believe that the UK could end up as just one state in a Federal Europe. That may be acceptable or even attractive to some, but the people of the UK should be fully informed and should consent to it. 
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »

Also

Interestingly, Churchill advocated a form of Union of European States early back in 1946, so hardly a new idea.

I don't know where the idea of a European army is at. I can't see the point of it, unless it was to counteract Trump's threats to pull out of NATO or otherwise indulge in his usual unpredictable and erratic behaviour.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2019, 11:54:33 AM »
We know that Madeleine was prone to waking.
We know that both parents first thoughts were that she had gone into their bedroom.
We know that Madeleine had run away earlier in the week.
We know that the parents left the door open so she could come and find them if she woke.

Then her mother says no way would she wander off. If there's one thing I know, it's that children constantly surprise their parents. Those who say 'not my child' are often proved wrong.
So is it your opinion that a complete stranger such as MWT would be more of an expert in the behaviour of your own children than you are?  Anyway, you seem to have done another volte-face and appear to be arguing once again that we should defer to the experts, most of whom say that a no deal Brexit will be extremely harmful to the economy and that those who will suffer the most are the poorest and most vulnerable in society. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:56:48 AM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Carana

« Reply #447 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
Does anyone have the faintest idea what the plans are for the service sector (i.e. 80% of the UK economy)?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2019, 09:06:40 PM »
So is it your opinion that a complete stranger such as MWT would be more of an expert in the behaviour of your own children than you are?  Anyway, you seem to have done another volte-face and appear to be arguing once again that we should defer to the experts, most of whom say that a no deal Brexit will be extremely harmful to the economy and that those who will suffer the most are the poorest and most vulnerable in society.

It's very kind of the experts to be concerned about the poor. The cynic in me wonders if they concerned about the economy and are using the poor to strengthen their argument.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
It's very kind of the experts to be concerned about the poor. The cynic in me wonders if they concerned about the economy and are using the poor to strengthen their argument.
To be concerned about the economy IS to be concerned about the poorest in society, for when the economy tanks it is the poorest who are hit hardest.  Even if the experts couldn’t give a toss about the poor it doesn’t change that fact.