Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284937 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
You were suggesting or implying by a cite to a news report that Dyson's HQ move was triggered by Brexit, when quite clearly it has nothing to do with it.
It’s not very patriotic of him, is it?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #496 on: January 22, 2019, 06:11:44 PM »
Dyson moved his manufacturing base to Malaysia back in the late 1990's before Brexit was even born, and so has nothing to do with it.  Just bought an imported Lightball from there which is brilliantly designed and of excellent quality. One of the main reasons he relocated was the lack of graduate engineers / industrial designers produced by our own educational system - 4% of graduates with engineering-related qualification compared with 40% in Singapore.  So it was only a matter of time before the Dyson headquarters followed suit.

I know that most of his manufacturing takes place in Malaysia. He's moving his HQ to Singapore.

What will be left in the UK?

Most of its products are designed in the UK, but manufactured in Asia.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46962093

I wonder how UK designing, presumably part of the service sector, will work post-Brexit?

Offline Myster

« Reply #497 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »
I know that most of his manufacturing takes place in Malaysia. He's moving his HQ to Singapore.

What will be left in the UK?

Most of its products are designed in the UK, but manufactured in Asia.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46962093

I wonder how UK designing, presumably part of the service sector, will work post-Brexit?
It seems he isn't abandoning Britain entirely, intellectually that is...  https://www.dysoncentre.eng.cam.ac.uk/

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10963085.wiltshire-set-to-be-a-dyson-centre-of-excellence/
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Myster

« Reply #498 on: January 22, 2019, 06:30:29 PM »
It’s not very patriotic of him, is it?
Cheaper manufacturing and transport costs to nearby Asian markets, especially China, are other reasons no doubt.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #499 on: January 22, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »
Cheaper manufacturing and transport costs to nearby Asian markets, especially China, are other reasons no doubt.
That doesn’t explain why the Head Office needs to be located there.  Is he moving out there himself, to live?   Where will he be paying his taxes?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #500 on: January 22, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »
P&O post-Brexit plan to register Channel fleet in Cyprus

The company said the move to re-register the entire English Channel fleet within the EU will lead to fewer inspections and delays.

16:32, UK, Tuesday 22 January 2019

https://news.sky.com/story/po-post-brexit-plan-to-register-channel-fleet-in-cyprus-11614554

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #501 on: January 22, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »
Dyson says the move is about “future proofing” his business, what does that mean?  Doesn’t he predict much of a future in his own country?  Shocking timing if you ask me.

Offline Carana

« Reply #502 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:34 PM »
Dyson says the move is about “future proofing” his business, what does that mean?  Doesn’t he predict much of a future in his own country?  Shocking timing if you ask me.

Jacob Rees-Mogg recently set up his second investment fund in Dublin, but insists it has nothing to do with Brexit, although, according to this article:  "The business, which invests millions into emerging and frontier markets, also issued a stark warning over Brexit earlier this year, suggesting there was the likelihood to be “considerable uncertainty” as Britain leaves the bloc."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-scm-ireland-investment-fund-conservative-mp-a8461021.html

And Lord Lawson (a leading Brexiteer whom I'd never heard of) has apparently applied for French residency.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44313941

Hmm.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #503 on: January 22, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
Telling the voters that they're too old, too stupid or don't understand is a risky strategy in my opinion. Such people no doubt do exist and some of them voted to leave the EU and some of them voted to remain in it. Inferring that only those who voted to leave fit the description is insulting and untrue.

The electorate includes all kinds of people and every one of them is entitled to vote as they see fit.

They are entitled to a vote but it was Churchill who said the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter ..
I don't think whetherbwe should stay in Europe should be decided by those who on the whole... Don't have a clue
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:03:39 PM by Davel »

Offline Myster

« Reply #504 on: January 22, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
That doesn’t explain why the Head Office needs to be located there.  Is he moving out there himself, to live?   Where will he be paying his taxes?
With such vast wealth he can live anywhere in the world he wishes, jetting frequently between various abodes when required, including Dodington Park, a French chateau vineyard and a Chelsea townhouse.  And now maybe "above the shop" in Singapore. To think that Hoover and Electrolux cocked a snook at his cyclone invention in the early days and now he's having the last laugh.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889054/Not-bad-fancy-vacuum-cleaner-Inventor-James-Dyson-owns-land-England-Queen.html

Taxes paid here it's claimed, although the reality might be somewhat different. 

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #505 on: January 22, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »
now that doesn’t surprise me.  I know it’s politically incorrect to say that a significant percentage of the population is ignorant and/or plain stupid but....

You could maybe quantify the significant part.  do we know how many are the 100% polled- to get the 25% just a quarter.  where did they come from /back grounds etc-let us think this through.

I told a group of people that 75% of those polled agreed that all  jews  should be dead.. shocked they were...absolutely horrified.

well untill I informed them I polled three people two were nazi fascist and one was jewish... oh how we can make the figures say what we want them to say.. So let us have your actual figures of your assertion that  voters  in your worthless opinion about people you do not know, are ignorant/ stupid?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

« Reply #506 on: January 22, 2019, 07:37:52 PM »
P&O post-Brexit plan to register Channel fleet in Cyprus

The company said the move to re-register the entire English Channel fleet within the EU will lead to fewer inspections and delays.

16:32, UK, Tuesday 22 January 2019

https://news.sky.com/story/po-post-brexit-plan-to-register-channel-fleet-in-cyprus-11614554

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. fewer inspections eh  ok so nothing to hide darlings.

You see, this is the problem when companies run off into the sunset in a huff, others see an opportunity to move in. It really doesn't pay in the long run. 

bye bye over priced 'luxury'

« Reply #507 on: January 22, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
Jacob Rees-Mogg recently set up his second investment fund in Dublin, but insists it has nothing to do with Brexit, although, according to this article:  "The business, which invests millions into emerging and frontier markets, also issued a stark warning over Brexit earlier this year, suggesting there was the likelihood to be “considerable uncertainty” as Britain leaves the bloc."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-scm-ireland-investment-fund-conservative-mp-a8461021.html

And Lord Lawson (a leading Brexiteer whom I'd never heard of) has apparently applied for French residency.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44313941

Hmm.

Are  we politially point scoring? well OK lets talk Phony Tony. He  registers his children as Irish citizens just before he declares  WAR on Iraq Slautering tens of thousands and many other peoples  children! Well we can't have his little darlings getting called up now can we?  And what about all the labour,MPs, lords, supporters money the celebrities who back remain where is their money?

« Reply #508 on: January 22, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »
To be concerned about the economy IS to be concerned about the poorest in society, for when the economy tanks it is the poorest who are hit hardest.  Even if the experts couldn’t give a toss about the poor it doesn’t change that fact.

What we need to establish is how do we define 'poor'? The poor need rich people to provide for them do they not?
****************************************************************************************

Re: the claims about what Churchill  wanted. It is the voters who say what they want not the policticians, even though this seems not to be the case in many instances. I do not believe he wanted a unified EU which included Turkey.

The EU is undemocratic and costly- they refused to change -  so we hopped out. I do believe many more will follow.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #509 on: January 22, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »

You could maybe quantify the significant part.  do we know how many are the 100% polled- to get the 25% just a quarter.  where did they come from /back grounds etc-let us think this through.

I told a group of people that 75% of those polled agreed that all  jews  should be dead.. shocked they were...absolutely horrified.

well untill I informed them I polled three people two were nazi fascist and one was jewish... oh how we can make the figures say what we want them to say.. So let us have your actual figures of your assertion that  voters  in your worthless opinion about people you do not know, are ignorant/ stupid?
*sigh*.