Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284916 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #810 on: January 31, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
Perhaps England and.Wales "have never been in harmony with the EU" but that does not apply to Scotland.and Northern Ireland.
Hence.why the majority in both those.countries voted to remain.

The majority in your country voted to remain part of the UK, so it's time to accept that's your position and that not all Scotland's people agree with you.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #811 on: January 31, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
The majority in your country voted to remain part of the UK, so it's time to accept that's your position and that not all Scotland's people agree with you.

Are you telling me I have no right to express my own opinion?
Stripped of "nationhood" by your goodself and now being told to accept a "position" which many others disagree with and which certainly could change.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:12:46 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #812 on: January 31, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »
Are you telling me I have no right to express my own opinion?
Stripped of "nationhood" by your goodself and now being told to accept a "position" which many others disagree with and which certainly could change.

Sorry, I didn't reaise you were expressing your own opinion. In my opinion your post seemed to be suggesting that you were expressing the views of all your fellow Scots.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #813 on: January 31, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
Sorry, I didn't reaise you were expressing your own opinion. In my opinion your post seemed to be suggesting that you were expressing the views of all your fellow Scots.

Just shows how mistaken your opinion can sometimes be.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #814 on: January 31, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »
Just shows how mistaken your opinion can sometimes be.

Or how misleading your posts can be......
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #815 on: January 31, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »
A VAT checking system already operates between N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland so no real problem in extending it.  The entire 'backstop' shenanigan is a false flag which suits Dublin as the UK leaving the EU will have serious consequences for Ireland.

It's not just VAT. There are rules of origin issues, regulatory alignment issues.

It's not just about trade, either. A hard border would violate the Good Friday Agreement, but without some form of instrastructure to monitor what's going in and out of the bloc or the UK, there could be massive smuggling and / or dumping.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #816 on: January 31, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »
It's not just VAT. There are rules of origin issues, regulatory alignment issues.

It's not just about trade, either. A hard border would violate the Good Friday Agreement, but without some form of instrastructure to monitor what's going in and out of the bloc or the UK, there could be massive smuggling and / or dumping.

This already goes on and lots more besides. People near the border buy their goods and services from whichever side of the border is cheapest.  Meat and fuels are regularly smuggled across the border by criminal gangs associated with former prescribed organisations and that will continue regardless of BREXIT.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:35:29 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #817 on: January 31, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »
A dreadful tax.
She who introduced it in Scotland first, will be long remembered .

Dreadful? in what way.

Juts because it was imposed in an disgraceful way by MT does not make it a bad tax infact I would vote for it now if done properly.

Poll tax was a tax on each individual living in an accomodation. if 5 people over working age lived in a house then fve people would be responsible for their share. The two things I objected to was : the way it was imposed without consultation and proper education as to how it worked.
the second thing was many women who were stay at home mums were chased for this tax if their husbands refused to pay it and spent it on drink/drugs/gambling. therefore it was not an individual taxt at all as described.

What we have now is evil.  bedroom tax?  what if the bedrooms are empty? not enough one bedroom homes are available people suffered greatly.

and what about the widow/er on a pension- who lives alone- paying just 25%less than a family of 5 high earners ? hmm yeah thanks for voting for that much much better.eh?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #818 on: January 31, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »
Dreadful? in what way.

Juts because it was imposed in an disgraceful way by MT does not make it a bad tax infact I would vote for it now if done properly.

Poll tax was a tax on each individual living in an accomodation. if 5 people over working age lived in a house then fve people would be responsible for their share. The two things I objected to was : the way it was imposed without consultation and proper education as to how it worked.
the second thing was many women who were stay at home mums were chased for this tax if their husbands refused to pay it and spent it on drink/drugs/gambling. therefore it was not an individual taxt at all as described.

What we have now is evil.  bedroom tax?  what if the bedrooms are empty? not enough one bedroom homes are available people suffered greatly.

and what about the widow/er on a pension- who lives alone- paying just 25%less than a family of 5 high earners ? hmm yeah thanks for voting for that much much better.eh?

Your usual presumptive rant.
I assume you think it fair that our son who was a student at the time had to pay a sizeable portion of the poll tax and that people  on moderate incomes paid the same as high earners.
As far as I am aware there is no bedroom tax in Scotland.
A local income tax would in my opinion be a fairer action.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:48:27 PM by Erngath »

Offline Sunny

« Reply #819 on: January 31, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »

Regulatory alignment wouldn't be a problem for the time being.  Our manufacturing has been aligned with the EU for years.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #820 on: January 31, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »
This already goes on and lots more besides. People near the border buy their goods and services from whichever side of the border is cheapest.  Meat and fuels are regularly smuggled across the border by criminal gangs associated with former prescribed organisations and that will continue regardless of BREXIT.

This is undoubtedly true.  But hardly in massive quantities, and probably won't be.

I don't know what is to be done about The Border between North and South Ireland, but Karma springs to my mind.  I think that The North should deal with this.  It is in fact their problem.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #821 on: January 31, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
Perhaps England and.Wales "have never been in harmony with the EU" but that does not apply to Scotland.and Northern Ireland.
Hence, why the majority in both those countries voted to remain.

The people of scotland whom you claim to speak on behalf  of have never voted to remain in the EU. Due to the fact that Scotland as part of the UK voted to leave. Now you can huff and puff about it but this is the facts:

1 Scottish people was offered Independance from the UK (not just England) they voted NO
2.  The UK with  a legal mandate to include Scotland in national descisions voted Leave the EU

SNP with some of their 2nd 3rd generation Irish voters want to ignore the majority. 

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #822 on: January 31, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
The people of scotland whom you claim to speak on behalf  of have never voted to remain in the EU. Due to the fact that Scotland as part of the UK voted to leave. Now you can huff and puff about it but this is the facts:

1 Scottish people was offered Independance from the UK (not just England) they voted NO
2.  The UK with  a legal mandate to include Scotland in national descisions voted Leave the EU

SNP with some of their 2nd 3rd generation Irish voters want to ignore the majority. 

I am not sure that Irish Voters have much to do with this, although I am half Southern Irish with a passion for Scotland. 

But then I don't need to have a passion for Southern Ireland.  They have sorted their own problems.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #823 on: January 31, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
I am not sure that Irish Voters have much to do with this, although I am half Southern Irish with a passion for Scotland. 

But then I don't need to have a passion for Southern Ireland.  They have sorted their own problems.

The reference to 2nd and 3rd generation Irish voters is only one of the misleading statements.
Good luck with responding to the post.

The reference to 2nd and 3rd generation Irish voters is indicative of the attitude of some here  in Scotland who do not like the independence movement, not for political reasons but for entirely different reasons.
I've seen quite enough of Mistaken posts to know exactly her agenda.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:36:42 PM by Erngath »

Offline Carana

« Reply #824 on: January 31, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
Regulatory alignment wouldn't be a problem for the time being.  Our manufacturing has been aligned with the EU for years.

So far. But in the event of a no-deal, what's to stop the UK importing goods (e.g. meat products or whatever else) from e.g. the US or elsewhere with lower phytosanitary standards and trying to re-export it via Ireland to the rest of the EU?

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/06/13/clean-break-why-the-sanitary-and-phytosanitary-framework-matters/