Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284917 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #870 on: February 02, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
Rumbles in Ireland ... rumbles in Gibraltar ... do we have any fisheries protection vessels left to patrol our waters?All predictable and much more to be added as reality bites home ... but Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street I cannot envisage.

I don't think the electorate will contemplate promoting him from being the most (in my opinion) inept leader of HM Opposition ever to Prime Minister ... it just is not going to happen.

Hung parliaments and civil unrest look most likely to me.

From what I'm reading / hearing, both parties are split. Not sure what the solution is.

As I've said before, there is no longer just a horizontal plane (left-right), but also a vertical one (Remain or Leave).

Bannon's dream come true.

And why DOES RT's darling, Farage, get so much airtime?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #871 on: February 02, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
From what I'm reading / hearing, both parties are split. Not sure what the solution is.

As I've said before, there is no longer just a horizontal plane (left-right), but also a vertical one (Remain or Leave).

Bannon's dream come true.

And why DOES RT's darling, Farage, get so much airtime?

Farage came across to many as an honest man. In my opinion Cameron's referendum was supposed to defeat what he was advocating and shut him up. It didn't work

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #872 on: February 02, 2019, 01:29:49 PM »
Farage came across to many as an honest man. In my opinion Cameron's referendum was supposed to defeat what he was advocating and shut him up. It didn't work

The London based MSM had us all believing that any referendum would be defeated, in fact, didn't Farage nearly throw in the towel at the twelfth hour because he thought it was lost but the Labour voters in the Midlands and elsewhere voted to leave in the end and sealed the deal.  Cameron had to go, he was a liability.

For once, people power in the regions had defeated the London elitism which has so destroyed our democracy in recent years.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:33:39 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #873 on: February 02, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
The London based MSM had us all believing that any referendum would be defeated, in fact, didn't Farage nearly throw in the towel at the twelfth hour because he thought it was lost but the Labour voters in the Midlands and elsewhere voted to leave in the end and sealed the deal.  Cameron had to go, he was a liability.

For once, people power in the regions had defeated the London elitism which has so destroyed our democracy in recent years.

Someone attempting to explain at the end of 2017 how these 'elites' think and why. I see no change since, they atill think they're superior;

What explains the idiocy of the liberal elite? It’s their education

it has struggled to understand those strange creatures: ordinary people.

The elite is bemused by what drives these people to make perverse decisions about Brexit......Are they racist, narrow-minded or just stupid? Whatever the reason, ordinary people have frankly been a disappointment.

Why do lawyers, churchmen, the BBC and, indeed, most educated people support the EU — an organisation as saturated with smug self-righteousness as it is with corruption; one which created the euro, which in turn has caused millions of people to be unemployed; an organisation which combines a yawning democratic deficit with incompetence over immigration and economic growth?

Let’s try to understand why members of the elite get so cross when others don’t take the same view of Brexit...as they do.....People talk of a culture of entitlement among those who live on benefits. But the elite has its own entitlement culture. They think that because they studied English literature at Durham they understand the world better than a plumber in Croydon. They think they are superior and therefore their view should prevail. They also think they are morally superior
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/what-explains-the-idiocy-of-the-liberal-elite-its-their-education/
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #874 on: February 02, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »

Arrogance, you see.  They were convinced that Remain would win because that is what They wanted.  They somehow failed to see that your average voter has actually got a mind nowadays.  If They had seen any inkling of this coming you probably wouldn't have got a Referendum in the first place.

Offline Carana

« Reply #875 on: February 02, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »
Those who hedged funds made a fortune. Farage denies he was one of them.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/26/nigel-farage-remain-won-brexit-bloomberg

Perhaps he didn't. But what was he grinning about in this photo showing the £ in freefall?
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/335am-june-24-2016-sterling-is-in-freefall-and-nigel-farage-is-beaming-picture-exclusive-1-5580360
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:08:45 PM by Carana »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #876 on: February 02, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
Arrogance, you see.  They were convinced that Remain would win because that is what They wanted.  They somehow failed to see that your average voter has actually got a mind nowadays.  If They had seen any inkling of this coming you probably wouldn't have got a Referendum in the first place.

I wholeheartedly agree Eleanor.  They got complacent and thought that the entire country would fall into line. Wales, Scotland and N Ireland only voted remain both out of self interest and on political lines. In Scotland, those 40% of the electorate who voted for Independence also voted remain. In N Ireland, Irish nationalists represented by the SDLP and republicans represented by Sinn Fein voted on a purely political agenda since a split with the EU was perceived as being damaging to relationships with cousins over the Irish border.  Wales voted remain out of pure self interest as they have had millions doled out to them by the EU over the years and leaving the EU was perceived as being damaging to that finance stream.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:17:57 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #877 on: February 02, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
I’m going to put my neck on the line and say that a version of Theresa May’s deal will be accepted by parliament shortly, an extension to the deadline will be granted, we will leave the EU later in the year, the country will gradually go to shit over the ensuing year or so, and everyone will blame her for all the ills that befall the country that follow on from exit day. What will follow is a Labour government during which things will go from bad to worse, but Brexiteers will never, ever admit they were wrong and that it’s all Remainers fault.  How do you reckon it will play out?

8(8-)) 8(8-))
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #878 on: February 02, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »

Cameron possibly felt boosted by the Scottish ref to remain in the UK... and the idea that he could squash the far right in the part via another ref may have gone to his head.

I find it incredible how many politicians assured the people of sunny uplands and then flat out denied it once reality started to set in.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:07:56 PM by Carana »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #879 on: February 02, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree Eleanor.  They got complacent and thought that the entire country would fall into line. Wales, Scotland and N Ireland only voted remain both out of self interest and on political lines. In Scotland, those 40% of the electorate who voted for Independence also voted remain. In N Ireland, Irish nationalists represented by the SDLP and republicans represented by Sinn Fein voted on a purely political agenda since a split with the EU was perceived as being damaging to relationships with cousins over the Irish border.  Wales voted remain out of pure self interest as they have had millions doled out to them by the EU over the years and leaving the EU was perceived as being damaging to that finance stream.

Absolutely right, Angelo.

After seeing the appalling carry on of the last couple of years, I no longer care anymore.  I have dealt with the falling Pound for the last more than ten years.  The loss of my Winter Fuel Allowance.  And the joke that Britain has increasingly become.  And I expect to go on dealing with these things.

Much as some of you might not like it, The Euro is absolutely fine.  Food and Amenities here are not rising at an alarming rate.  And my Electricity and Water, along with House Taxes are still cheeper than in Britain, as is my Car and House Insurance.

Europe will have to deal with their poorer members.  Some of these poorer Countries have Pensions that I can only dream of.  And they are wasting money in the name of popularity.

My son needs a Cardiogram for a work related issue. He is not ill.  He turned up at the Doctor's Surgery unannounced yesterday as he needed a referral.   He was seen immediately.  He has an appointment at the local hospital in eight days time.
I can't help wondering just who has got this right.

Britain is the problem.  Britain gave up its own autonomy.  British Politicians despise you and treat you all like Pawns in their own little Chess Game while vying for who is going to be the next President of Europe.

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted, and a bit halfy halfy.  I can see the flaws in my argument.  But I did so want Britain to be its own Country again.  Now, I don't care anymore.

Offline Carana

« Reply #880 on: February 02, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »

Agree on the whole. But Wales voted Leave.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #881 on: February 02, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
Agree on the whole. But Wales voted Leave.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Wales never did know what it was doing.  Their National Health System is the worst in Britain.

Offline Carana

« Reply #882 on: February 02, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »

He publicly stated on TV that he wanted the whole of Europe to be out of the EU. So far, that sounds quite Bannonish to me.

IMO, if certain powers have a strategic plan that involves creating chaos in Europe, then starting with the UK makes sense.

Offline Carana

« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
I expect most of us have seen the numerous anti-EU tabloid headlines over the years (or rather decades), with wild stories such as BoJo's bendy banana myth (I created a thread with a list of many of them).

IMO, it's dangerous to underestimate how this propaganda can subliminally influence people over time.

I also expect quite a few people also believe that those in authority actually know what they're talking about. I certainly used to.

I don't know how many of you are Derren Brown fans, but here's an example of how he is able to subliminally manipulate people. There are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSmjLMVa5I

Offline Carana

« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
Someone has compiled a sourced list of Brexit consequences so far. Worth a read, IMO.

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1091020401822650371