Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284919 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1007 on: February 10, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »
A lot of If, Buts, and Maybes.
Not here:

"British nationals who have retired to EU countries including Spain and France will no longer have their healthcare covered by the NHS in the event of no Brexit deal, the government has said".

Forewarned is forearmed in my opinion.

From the Government website

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-nationals-living-in-the-eueea-and-switzerland-healthcare?utm_source=6e9b01be-cdca-4571-a6af-08983303b21e&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1008 on: February 10, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
I've done a little bit more googling and this seems a bit more reassuring to people in Eleanor's position (assuming eleanor falls into this category "Workers, self-employed and those who’ve retired after working in France") , in France at least, in the event of a no deal scenario:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190130/brexit-what-will-happen-to-your-healthcare-in-france-deal-or-no-deal

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:56:30 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1009 on: February 10, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1010 on: February 10, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »

I'll tell you what.  I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1011 on: February 10, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
The fact that lest than 50 days to go and still no one really knows wtf is going to happen is quite unforgivable IMO.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1012 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
This might be useful:
https://www.remaininfrance.org

Offline Carana

« Reply #1013 on: February 10, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
I'll tell you what.  I'll let you know what happens.

You've lived there for ages, and if it's just some paperwork, there's no harm in getting advice on what to do. Better than finding yourself in a mess later. No one deserves that hassle.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1014 on: February 10, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »
Britain can't take their National Insurance and then refuse them Health Care.  Besides, there is a reciprocal arrangement.

That's an EU/EFTA arrangement, which won't apply any more.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1015 on: February 10, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »
The fact that lest than 50 days to go and still no one really knows wtf is going to happen is quite unforgivable IMO.

Totally agree. All because of a political spat, with a dodgy campaign largely based on disinformation, so many normal people are tearing their hair out at the imminent consequences.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1016 on: February 10, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »
Totally agree. All because of a political spat, with a dodgy campaign largely based on disinformation, so many normal people are tearing their hair out at the imminent consequences.

Exactly.  Which is why I refuse to do so.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1017 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »

LOL A real trooper. ;) But there's no harm in checking into what you'd need to do. Bear in mind, this is only in the case of a no-deal, but time is running out. I'm with Vertigo on this, forewarned is forearmed.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1018 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:41 PM »
Another Facebook fake news alert re the supposed nefarious implications of the Lisbon Treaty on the UK.

Sigh.

Debunked:

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1087258784001654784

Offline Carana

« Reply #1019 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:40 AM »

From a pragmatic perspective, the UK and the EU will have to work out at least some temporary emergency arrangements. The country would sink even further if there were to be a tsunami of UK emigrants having to come back to the UK with no place to go, some possibly with illnesses requiring check-ups and medication.

But then I thought the Transport Secretary was on top of things... probably not all his fault if he's swamped, and there's not enough staff.

Wouldn't hurt to contact a UK consulate if you can.