Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284919 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1230 on: February 17, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »

I find it an amazing coincidence how many prominent Brexiteers have connections to Trump and the US mega industries.

Can't possibly think why...

It couldn't possibly be about the standards that the UK would have to lower, surely?
Sir Jim is also a big fan of fracking.  I don't know if this is relevant or not...

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/eu-referendum-brexit-will-lead-to-fracking-free-for-all-as-environmental-regulation-will-be-up-for-a7093646.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:18:41 PM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #1231 on: February 17, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
Sir Jim is also a big fan of fracking.  I don't know if this is relevant or not...

Just waiting for "clean" coal / chemicals / oil extraction / food to pop up...

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1232 on: February 17, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »
Just waiting for "clean" coal / chemicals / oil extraction / food to pop up...
He is also very anti EU "Green" taxes.  Of course I'm sure his position on Brexit is entirely altruistic....  @)(++(*
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #1233 on: February 17, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
In 2015:
The founder of chemicals giant Ineos said: "I think the UK would be perfectly successful as a standalone country, part of the European marketplace like Norway and Switzerland but without the expensive EU bureaucracy.
So Norway-style was acceptable then, but appears no longer to be so, why is that?

All about the "Norway option"... Except that Norway doesn't actually want the UK to join EFTA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGt3QmRSZY
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:32:32 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1234 on: February 17, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
He is also very anti EU "Green" taxes.  Of course I'm sure his position on Brexit is entirely altruistic....  @)(++(*

No doubt it's totally altruistic, perish the thought that the interests of certain prominent Brexiteers may lay elsewhere...

I'm old enough to remember a board game called "Risk"...

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1235 on: February 17, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
I'd love to know what it is that drives certain of the the world's richest people to get even richer at the expense of the environment.  On the one hand they are leaving untold vast wealth to their descendants, on the other hand what is vast wealth good for on a dying or dead planet?  I suppose they'll be among the last of the species to go. 

Offline Carana

« Reply #1236 on: February 17, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Isn’t that because of the large number of OAP Brits in Europe by comparison to older EU nationals in the UK?  Also, accrding to the link because of the inefficient NHS failing to recover all monies it is due from the EU.

This may have been what I was thinking of.

Countries reimburse each other for the costs of providing health services

"These figures are broadly correct. The discrepancy is partly due to how the NHS recoups the money it is owed, but also partly because the costs of treating UK citizens abroad are high in comparison to the costs of treating European citizens in the UK."

It's not quite clear what "abroad" covers. Just in the EU or further afield?

I didn't invent it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:21:54 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1237 on: February 17, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
I'd love to know what it is that drives certain of the the world's richest people to get even richer at the expense of the environment.  On the one hand they are leaving untold vast wealth to their descendants, on the other hand what is vast wealth good for on a dying or dead planet?  I suppose they'll be among the last of the species to go.

I suppose that some people really do believe that climate change is a hoax, in much the same way as certain types of people will be inclined to believe any conspiracy theory. "Deep state", etc.

Cambridge Analytica's strategy was to stoke up fear / anger versus facts. And Brexit was the success story to get the US contract... which has landed the US with trying to deal with Trump. But that's another story.

At the end of the day, there are many of the same actors involved.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1238 on: February 17, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »

Good question, no answers.

Power?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1239 on: February 17, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
It all depends on how beneficial the UKs continued membership is... Has that question really been answered

Why should the UK face the very real impact of crashing out before that question has been answered?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1240 on: February 17, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »

The UK Government reimburses other European Economic Area countries and Switzerland for the cost of providing treatment to people it is responsible for under European Union law, irrespective of nationality.

In the same way, other EEA countries and Switzerland reimburse the UK for the cost of the NHS providing treatment to people they are responsible for under EU law, including UK nationals insured in another EEA country or Switzerland.

The European Economic Area is the 28 European Union countries, plus Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein. Switzerland is not a member of the EU or the EEA, but is closely tied to these countries through a series of treaties.
https://fullfact.org/health/how-much-does-uk-recover-health-costs-eu/

That's the general idea. When anti-EU tabloids cry scandal about EU citizens being treated for free in the UK... they never mention the agreements. Why not?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1241 on: February 17, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »

What rich are you referring to?  the Albanian , Russian, Romanin drug cartels who operate here as  erm Business men.  or do you differenciate rich people according to birth place?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

« Reply #1242 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »
This may have been what I was thinking of.

"These figures are broadly correct. The discrepancy is partly due to how the NHS recoups the money it is owed, but also partly because the costs of treating UK citizens abroad are high in comparison to the costs of treating European citizens in the UK."

It's not quite clear what "abroad" covers. Just in the EU or further afield?

I didn't invent it.

You didn't? ok how about you show us in real time real comparisons.

"That's the general idea. When anti-EU tabloids cry scandal about EU citizens being treated for free in the UK... they never mention the agreements. Why not?"

because no UK citizens have come forward in their thousands claiming they had cheaper better treatment else where. So perhaps an agreement is in place but is it being used the same way as our health service eg sex augmentation of children- abortions being used as contraception in some cultures, removal of tatoos etc.  the NHS is supposed to be for SICK people.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1243 on: February 17, 2019, 02:05:54 PM »
What rich are you referring to?  the Albanian , Russian, Romanin drug cartels who operate here as  erm Business men.  or do you differenciate rich people according to birth place?

Que?  This comment has no value.

« Reply #1244 on: February 17, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »
I suppose that some people really do believe that climate change is a hoax, in much the same way as certain types of people will be inclined to believe any conspiracy theory. "Deep state", etc.

Cambridge Analytica's strategy was to stoke up fear / anger versus facts. And Brexit was the success story to get the US contract... which has landed the US with trying to deal with Trump. But that's another story.

At the end of the day, there are many of the same actors involved.

Global warming  -blaming humans  and using this as an excuse to rape the workers of more money- to protect us from ourselves  changed its name to climate change. how quaint.

History lesson #1  There was an ICE age on planet earth. There were no humans at that time. the planet started to warm up over many millenia-
#2  the ice melted and new life forms  evolved from bacteria ...

Ok with no human input  to cause this phenomenon-perhaps you and your 'believers' can explain this one? cs gasses, air travel?

now here is another conundrem for you- the OZONE layer has not been measured for millions of years so just because it was measured it has nothing to compare it to as no data has been avaliable .

I do support recycling and hate waste I also hate zoos and circuses which use animals to 'perform'. I am also an advocate of geting rid of plastic packaging etc. But Climate change is just an absolute con!  The money pouring into this could feed many starving on  the planet but people in smart offices in smart suits with powerpoint presentatins spewing non sence to those who want a bandwagon to jump on.

PS the green party are a minority and should be treated as such.  a little voice.