Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284937 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1320 on: February 18, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »
The people of Swindon voted for Brexit, now they will have to live with the devastating effects on their town and communities.

Sadly it seems they will not be on their own when it comes to that.  Is there already an effect on prescription medicine?  More and more anecdotal evidence points to shortages and pharmaceutical advice on alternatives in my neck of the woods.
Today a young man of my acquaintance could not get a repeat prescription for a liquid which was only available in tablet form ... that has never happened before ... the chemist could give no guarantee as to when or if it will be back in stock.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #1321 on: February 18, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
Sadly it seems they will not be on their own when it comes to that.  Is there already an effect on prescription medicine?  More and more anecdotal evidence points to shortages and pharmaceutical advice on alternatives in my neck of the woods.
Today a young man of my acquaintance could not get a repeat prescription for a liquid which was only available in tablet form ... that has never happened before ... the chemist could give no guarantee as to when or if it will be back in stock.

The EU has offered a time-limited emergency transit for essential goods. It was announced in December, and Raab has only just noticed...

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1322 on: February 18, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
From the Guardian:

Honda workers in Swindon expressed their anger and fears for the future on Monday over the expected closure of the plant, blaming Brexit for a loss that they said would send shockwaves through the town.

After news broke of the likely closure in 2022, with the loss of 3,500 jobs, one worker leaving the plant said the atmosphere inside was “clearly not very happy”.

The man, who like most workers absorbing the news did not wish to be named, has been with the company for 24 years. He blamed Brexit for the car giant’s decision. He said he had voted remain in the EU referendum and condemned the local Conservative MP Justin Tomlinson for campaigning for Brexit.

Advertisement

“He wanted Brexit – he gets to carry the can. If he’s not unseated by a massive majority at the next election then this town gets what it deserves,” he said.

Before the referendum – in which 55% of the town backed leave – the site was a “perfectly viable car plant operating for 30 years, no problem at all”, he said. “As soon as Brexit comes along the plant needs investment.”

He said he thought the government was “completely incompetent” and felt “pretty hacked off” by the news.

Another man asked how he felt as he left the site replied: “Devastated. That’s all I can say.”

Union leaders echoed that view, with Unite’s Des Quinn saying closure would represent “a shattering body blow at the heart of UK manufacturing”.

The news comes as a particular shock in a community that has been relatively well insulated from the difficulties that have accompanied Brexit. Swindon, which has high employment and low immigration, is not typically seen as being at the sharp end of the referendum result. The city is ranked seventh in the country for productivity and has the second lowest percentage of residents in the country with no formal qualifications, according to the council.

But some more deprived areas of the town have seen few of the benefits that have accrued to the better-off areas.

Another worker said Honda – which builds 160,000 Civic cars a year at the plant – was integral to Swindon. “For the people and their families, it’s big, big news and this will have a huge effect,” he said.

He said that so far all he had heard were rumours. “We’ve not found out anything yet – I’ve not even had chance to read the report,” he said. “I’ve got a mortgage to pay off. I don’t know anything about it other than what people were saying on my lunch break.”

He also felt Brexit was to blame. “People voted for something without thinking of the consequences – it is what it is,” he said.

While other workers also said they had not heard any official statements from management, one said she could neither deny nor confirm a meeting had been called for 8am on Tuesday.

Alan Tomala, regional officer for the Unite union who worked at the plant between 1995 and 2007, said workers were “angry, dismayed and worried”.

“If the speculation is to be confirmed, 3,500 jobs are at risk,” Tomala said. “The usual formula is one job in the plant equates to four in the supply chain and the local economy. If closure is confirmed, it will rip the heart out of this area.”
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #1323 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:17 PM »
Another brainchild, Sajid Javid, seems to have only just realised the implications on police cooperation and national security...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/18/sajid-javid-warns-eu-counterparts-of-joint-policing-disruption?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1324 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
Destroying the British car industry was part of the Brexiteers cunning plan all along:

4. 'Run down the UK car industry'
Hard Brexiters push for a highly liberalized global trading relationship that removes tariffs altogether. Their argument is that removing the protections for local industries might harm local manufacturing, but that's a price worth paying for cheaper goods. Their economic guru is Patrick Minford, a professor at the University of Cardiff and a member of the Economists for Brexit group. In 2012 he told a committee of MPs: "If you remove the protection of the sort that has been given to car industry, you're going to have a change in the situation facing that industry, and you are going to have to run it down. It'll be your interest to do it, just in the same way we ran down the coal industry, or the steel industry. These things happen."
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #1325 on: February 18, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
Destroying the British car industry was part of the Brexiteers cunning plan all along:

4. 'Run down the UK car industry'
Hard Brexiters push for a highly liberalized global trading relationship that removes tariffs altogether. Their argument is that removing the protections for local industries might harm local manufacturing, but that's a price worth paying for cheaper goods. Their economic guru is Patrick Minford, a professor at the University of Cardiff and a member of the Economists for Brexit group. In 2012 he told a committee of MPs: "If you remove the protection of the sort that has been given to car industry, you're going to have a change in the situation facing that industry, and you are going to have to run it down. It'll be your interest to do it, just in the same way we ran down the coal industry, or the steel industry. These things happen."

What "protection"?

In the run-up to the 2016 Brexit referendum, Mr Minford wrote: “Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing , leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us.

“Britain is good at putting on a suit and selling to other nations.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/devastating-future-welsh-manufacturing-predicted-15323164

No one is talking about any plans re the service sector, which relies on rules that are even more complicated than the trade in goods.

Bonkers.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1326 on: February 19, 2019, 12:00:09 AM »
Only economic study showing benefits of Brexit debunked as 'doubly misleading'

Finding widely cited as evidence UK economy has little to lose from failing to agree a trade deal with the rest of the EU

Ben Chu
    Economics Editor @Benchu_
    Wednesday 19 April 2017

Work by the “Economists for Brexit” group, led by Professor Patrick Minford of Cardiff Business School, before last year’s referendum suggested that if the UK left the EU without a trade deal and unilaterally dropped all tariff barriers on imports the country’s GDP could be boosted by 4 per cent relative to otherwise.

snip
The finding, which contradicted all other studies which showed that Britain would be worse off due to leaving the EU, has been widely cited by hardline Brexiteers and even some business figures as evidence that the UK economy has little to lose if Britain fails to conclude a trade deal with the rest of the EU.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexiteers-economists-for-brexit-patrick-minford-study-doubly-misleading-eu-uk-trade-deal-tariff-a7691271.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #1327 on: February 19, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »
Gove addressing the NFU, and her response.

Full tariffs on farm exports, no inspection posts in Calais...

https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1097852933608259584

Offline Carana

« Reply #1328 on: February 19, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »
Kate Hoey on the need to reassure investors how great everything is...

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1096912448278405120

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1329 on: February 19, 2019, 03:08:54 PM »
Gove addressing the NFU, and her response.

Full tariffs on farm exports, no inspection posts in Calais...

https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1097852933608259584
Nula
‏@NulaTweets
Replying to @PropertySpot
.@MichaelGove, I love how you're able to make it sound as if none of this is your fault. Quite impressive.
6:40 am - 19 Feb 2019

I think Nula hits the nail on the head.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #1330 on: February 19, 2019, 04:33:24 PM »
Nula
‏@NulaTweets
Replying to @PropertySpot
.@MichaelGove, I love how you're able to make it sound as if none of this is your fault. Quite impressive.
6:40 am - 19 Feb 2019

I think Nula hits the nail on the head.

I had a clip where he'd said pretty much the opposite, just before the ref. When he now says that UK food or other (e.g. chemical) standards won't be lowered, I have trouble believing him. Or any of the others.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1331 on: February 19, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Here's another situation: a seafood exporter who's in a total mess. So sad. ;(

https://twitter.com/Scotkraut/status/1097807265191612418

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1332 on: February 19, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »

Nothing to do with Brexit... there has been a change in prescription policy ongoing for many years now. When a doctor/nurse writes a script it spits out the cheapest form of that drug or the nearest to it.  scare mongering anyone? lol
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1333 on: February 19, 2019, 10:25:34 PM »
The EU has offered a time-limited emergency transit for essential goods. It was announced in December, and Raab has only just noticed...

don't suppose the German Car manufacturers will miss our sales then.. You are making me laugh!

vee vill not sell you any ov our carrz - get you stuff  ed
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1334 on: February 19, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »
Nothing to do with Brexit... there has been a change in prescription policy ongoing for many years now. When a doctor/nurse writes a script it spits out the cheapest form of that drug or the nearest to it.  scare mongering anyone? lol

BREXIT is being used as an excuse in many cases but people aren't stupid, they can see through the fog.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!