Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284930 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1440 on: March 04, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
Will a UK-US trade deal lower food standards in the UK? - BBC Newsnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=3vhfqE1eR6E

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1441 on: March 04, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
There is already an agreement with NZ.

On the other hand, a cargo ship set off from the UK to Japan at the end of February, and is unlikely to get there and clear customs prior to March 29. Then what? WTO tariffs and barriers kick in? The ship has to turn back?

It won't.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1442 on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »
RU citizens can go to, e.g., France, and anyone can have a holiday home, but under the auspices of "exercising EU rights", if they intend to live there permanently, they need to prove self-sufficiency.

My only caveat to that is something that I haven't  had time to look into - and that's a job-seeker's potential allowance. No idea which country (host or origin) pays for that, nor how long the entitlement may last.

It used to be possible to apply for job seekers allowance in UK and then go to France to seek a job, but only for three months.

You don't need to prove self sufficiency unless you apply for a Carte de Sejour, which you don't need anyway.  They don't go around knocking on doors demanding to know if you can support yourself.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1443 on: March 04, 2019, 01:24:19 PM »

Back in the old days, 25 years ago, a coupe of couples I know borrowed large sums of money which they deposited in their French Bank Accounts, and then they applied for French. Child Benefits, which they got.  They then paid back the money that they had borrowed.  Child Benefit in France being about three times the size of Britain.  Then they worked on The Black.

I worked on The Black for twenty years, and no one came anywhere near me.

Interestingly, which I had forgotten, I filled in a French Tax Return during all of those years, declaring just 28 Euros a month rent I was receiving for one room in my house.  I inherited the tenant when I bought the house so the Tax Return came with it.
The French Inland Revenue never asked me how I was supporting myself or for details of my bank account.  Needless to say that I never paid any Tax.

The simply aren't interested.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1444 on: March 04, 2019, 02:43:33 PM »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1445 on: March 04, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
Nick Dearden of the campaign group Global Justice Now, which has warned about the implications of the UK doing a trade deal with the US, said the EU had heavily restricted the use of chlorine in salad washing several years ago.

“The reason US farmers do it is because their animals are raised in such cramped conditions that the only way to stop them becoming diseased is to dunk them in chlorine,” he said. “It’s really an animal welfare issue here. If UK farmers want to compete against American imports they’ll have to lower standards or go out of business.”

The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) has also raised concerns over food safety and animal welfare standards when future trade deals are negotiated. “It is imperative that any future trade deals, including a possible deal with the US, do not allow the imports of food produced to lower standards than those required of British farmers,” said the NFU president, Minette Batters.

Jim Moseley, the CEO of Red Tractor Assurance, which oversees standards on many British farms, said: “Categorically, the UK’s food standards are now under threat from the commercial appetites of the United States food lobby. We urge the government not to sacrifice legislation which prevents these sort of products from being sold in the UK.

“British people deserve better than having their world-leading food standards sold out from underneath them. Our research shows that shoppers look for food that has been produced to the highest standards of food safety, animal welfare and traceability.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/02/us-ambassador-to-uk-woody-johnson-under-fire-over-defence-of-chlorinated-chicken-post-brexit-jay-rayner

Offline Carana

« Reply #1446 on: March 04, 2019, 02:51:20 PM »
Re the US-UK state of affairs, JRM and Gove don't seem to agree... for  the moment.

The Eurosceptic Jacob Rees-Mogg told Sky News the publication of the outline objectives was a “positive first step” to a deal with the US which would be “good for UK consumers as it would open markets to greater competition”.

He said: “It is encouraging that the US wants to move quickly and has made the first move before we have left.”

A change in food standards after Brexit would have ramifications for an open border in Ireland as it would fuel fears that banned goods could seep into the food chain through cross-border production of meat and dairy products.

Gove has held firm on his position that the UK would not compromise on food standards. He has in the past expressed concern about antibiotics used for livestock and bee-harming pesticides, neonicotinoids, used on grain that goes into breakfast cereals and other consumer foods.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/01/us-seeks-greater-access-to-uk-food-markets-after-brexit-trade-deal

ETA:

The truth is, the goal of a trade deal with the US never made economic sense. It was all about politics – the quest for a trophy that could be presented as a benefit of Brexit when, in fact, there are next to none. It didn’t stack up in June 2016, but it is even more absurd now – abandoning the largest ever free trade area, right where we live, for a dictator-coddling would-be autocrat thousands of miles away, who sees us not as a trusted ally but as prey.
Apart from differences of regulation in relation to the use of chlorine to wash chicken and the use of hormones
in
the rearing of cattle, US officials have also recently spoken about barriers in pork production.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/01/brexit-trump-trade-hanoi?CMP=share_btn_tw
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:15:39 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1447 on: March 04, 2019, 03:02:26 PM »
According to Shanker Singham, chlorine isn't the substance most often used in the US: these days it's peracetic acid.

BBC Newsnight
‏Verified account @BBCNewsnight

“Can I just explain this mythology for one moment, America doesn’t actually chlorinate chicken”

The IEA’s Shanker Singham tells #newsnight that “peracetic acid* is used for the most part and has been approved by the European Food Safety Agency”

Ok, but chlorine or peracetic acid, a broader issue is why either needs to be used on meat in the first place. From what I've been able to gather it's largely due to lower animal welfare standards.

NB: https://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/signature-series/peracetic-acid-in-the-fresh-food-industry/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:04:29 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1448 on: March 04, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
Before I get accused of making things up. :)

Here's the clip I mentiioned of Farage thanking Bannon and Breitbart just after the ref.

It was originally posted by Breitbart, but they keep taking it down for some reason.

https://twitter.com/TrickFreee/status/982171839823687680

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1449 on: March 04, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »
There are, broadly speaking, three reasons for people to come to Britain. To work, stidy or join family. Recently the largest group coming here were Polish, then Indian, Pakistani and Irish. Since the referendum more Polish people have left than have arrived.

Some of the rise in non EU immigration is due to increasing numbers coming here to study. If they are here to study for a degree they will pay between £10,000 and £38,000 for their course. They will also contribute through their living expenses. A lot of them will go home at the end of their studies.

The big difference between EU immigration and non EU immigration is that one cannot be controlled by the British government and the other can.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/february2019
https://www.google.com/search?q=cost+of+uni+for+foreign+students+uk&oq=cost+of+uni+for+foreign+students+uk&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.16376j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Maybe this is why EU immigrants are net contributors and non EU immigrants aren’t. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1450 on: March 08, 2019, 02:11:32 PM »
Nick Dearden of the campaign group Global Justice Now, which has warned about the implications of the UK doing a trade deal with the US, said the EU had heavily restricted the use of chlorine in salad washing several years ago.

“The reason US farmers do it is because their animals are raised in such cramped conditions that the only way to stop them becoming diseased is to dunk them in chlorine,” he said. “It’s really an animal welfare issue here. If UK farmers want to compete against American imports they’ll have to lower standards or go out of business.”

The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) has also raised concerns over food safety and animal welfare standards when future trade deals are negotiated. “It is imperative that any future trade deals, including a possible deal with the US, do not allow the imports of food produced to lower standards than those required of British farmers,” said the NFU president, Minette Batters.

Jim Moseley, the CEO of Red Tractor Assurance, which oversees standards on many British farms, said: “Categorically, the UK’s food standards are now under threat from the commercial appetites of the United States food lobby. We urge the government not to sacrifice legislation which prevents these sort of products from being sold in the UK.

“British people deserve better than having their world-leading food standards sold out from underneath them. Our research shows that shoppers look for food that has been produced to the highest standards of food safety, animal welfare and traceability.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/02/us-ambassador-to-uk-woody-johnson-under-fire-over-defence-of-chlorinated-chicken-post-brexit-jay-rayner

Scare mongering...

“It’s really an animal welfare issue here. If UK farmers want to compete against American imports they’ll have to lower standards or go out of business.”

Nice he only gives two choices- we could also increase productivity to meet demand?  more jobs etc..
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1451 on: March 08, 2019, 06:45:00 PM »
Well said, Theresa May. Delay just means continued uncertainty and politicians must take note that Brexit doesn't belong to Parliament, it belongs to the country.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1452 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:21 PM »
Well said, Theresa May. Delay just means continued uncertainty and politicians must take note that Brexit doesn't belong to Parliament, it belongs to the country.

And those who cared enough about their country voted! AND they voted to leave! &^^&*
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1453 on: March 09, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
Many years ago Mark Twain said "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it". It seems David Cameron made an error of judgement by instigating the referendum because that vote did mmake a difference; hence the desperate attempts to overturn the result.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1454 on: March 09, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
Many years ago Mark Twain said "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it". It seems David Cameron made an error of judgement by instigating the referendum because that vote did mmake a difference; hence the desperate attempts to overturn the result.

And this is why it is all awful.  Who the hell do the people think you all are.

I don't care anymore. Be b....red.  I am fine exactly where I am..I cannot begin to understand why I cared in the first place.

I did think briefly that Britain might get back its pride.  But not much chance of that now.